comppete July 6th, 2013 8:03am

A family is suing a Police Dept for Third Amendment violations. If police wanted to use your home for an investigation, and you had to leave your home while they are there, would you let them? Link in comments.

sarahgc58
07/06/13 5:44 pm

After thinking about it for a while, I decided that I would. I would trust them not to steal anything and I don't have anything in my house that I would care about them seeing.

sarahgc58
07/06/13 6:00 pm

After looking at the article, yes I would have let them use my house, but it is ridiculous that they were arrested.

Jungle in the dog house
07/06/13 2:43 pm

Not unless I was there.

I invited the cops to set up a stakeout once in my company office so they could observe the drug deals being made outside on the street.

Jungle in the dog house
07/06/13 2:45 pm

It ended the cocaine dealing by our company for a very long time.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
07/06/13 2:35 pm

No, I would not let a gang bully me out of my home to use it as a base.

beamie Michigan
07/06/13 12:31 pm

All of that for domestic violence? I'm just
Curious as to what type of domestic violence needs Surveillance? And if the facts are accurate, ( 3 sides to each story mine, yours, and the truth) then the cops were way wrong

dahawwl Texas
07/06/13 7:58 am

Surveillance would have been useless after all that...everyone in the neighborhood knew they were there.

YouWantMeToPay ... for THIS
07/06/13 7:47 am

Helll NO.

Never invite/allow the devil into your home.

thebob Medford Oregon
07/06/13 7:46 am

Nope. If there was a VERY good reason perhaps.

jmw7477 Indiana
07/06/13 5:29 am

We have a lot of pets (lizards, birds, fish, a dog). They'd have to guarantee that my critters would be taken care of. They'd also have to pay for my hotel stay.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 4:41 am

Yeah, he's a rare species I like to call "the peace officer". They're extremely rare and endangered. Their biggest predator is a subspecies called "the asshole thug with a badge".

comppete Las Vegas
07/06/13 2:08 am

As far as I can see, in the story, these cops were as bad as the Nazi SS. They weren't going to take no for an answer. The homeowner was within his rights to refuse and they weren't going to accept it. This incident is Criminal! They should be fired.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 4:04 am

Fired hell - there needs to be some jail time over this sh*t.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 4:08 am

I'm glad you see it that way Jon. If the facts are even remotely similar to how they were reported this was an insult to the oath that all peace officers take upon employment.

comppete Las Vegas
07/06/13 2:25 pm

I did mention that it was a criminal act, but I don't believe that the force will bring charges against their own in this situation. The victims should go to the FBI with this.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:37 pm

@rebelfury76: I'm a cop - not a drone, and (usually) not an a$$h*le, either...

@comppete: as a civil rights violation, this automatically goes to federal court - FBI might not be directly involved, but it will be handled by a federal prosecutor.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:38 pm

And the Feds don't like eating crow on behalf of local yokels... After they win their lawsuit in federal court, I would be very surprised not to see some federal criminal entitlements

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:38 pm

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:40 pm

Auto-"correct" - argh!! That would be "indictments", NOT "entitlements"...

comppete Las Vegas
07/06/13 2:41 pm

I didn't know it was automatic. I know most LEO's are good people. I just wish we could bring all of the bad ones to justice.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:46 pm

The state/local courts don't have standing or jurisdiction to hear/prosecute a civil rights case - constitutional law is all at the federal level.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 2:52 pm

You're preaching to the choir... I catch more mud in my face because of their behavior...

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 1:52 am

If they wanted to set up surveillance in the living room, I'd let them, but we'd continue to live there and come and go as usual to avoid arousing the neighbors' suspicions. If they agreed to these terms, they could come in. We'd even feed them!

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 2:51 am

I can't even understand that.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 1:29 am

I would never convict him of any crime if he had defended himself, his family, and property against these armed intruders. He would have been entirely justified in throwing lead down range. I don't normally advocate violence but its justified here.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 4:02 am

Just wow. Somebody needs to fry, and the city coffers need emptied over this...

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 4:03 am

And yes, I'm a cop.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 4:09 am

Then it's his neighbours that pay for the negligence and abuse of the city. I say government employees need to start being personally liable for their actions.

It would give them an incentive to actually obey the damn law.

jonfrei the boonies
07/06/13 4:43 am

True. Jail time in the federal penn would certainly be appropriate...

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/06/13 7:25 am

And just like the Jews had to see stars of David on their coats they should have to see badges on their jumpers.

Have fun in the pokie