wego July 6th, 2013 7:46am

Are you in favor of or opposed to school uniforms?

LeDerpityDerp We are not our failures
07/08/13 7:48 am

Since I had to wear them K-12... I have to say anti..

skacey best poll is evenly split
07/06/13 11:57 pm

All and all we are all just bricks in the wall.

duey in a fools paradise
07/06/13 7:36 pm

As cruel as parents and kids are these days uniforms are a good equalizer.

sarahgc58
07/06/13 6:07 pm

Clothing is just one more tool kids and teenagers use to bully. Many public schools that have a uniform have one that would be available to buy anywhere, from Walmart to Nordstroms, such as khakis and a white polo. I am totally pro uniform.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
07/06/13 2:42 pm

Definitely against. School uniforms are costly, when you can find cheap regular clothes. Uniforms teach children to think alike, fall in line, and become sheep. I like people to be able to express their individuality, which is what kids should do.

imawench
07/06/13 8:27 am

I am pro school uniforms. Individuality and creativity are much more substantive when expressed by what is produced by the mind, rather than the shallow expression of one's clothing.

wego Utah
07/06/13 12:25 pm

Hear hear

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/06/13 8:07 am

For a simple and reasonable dress code that addresses issues of safety, practicality, and undue distraction while encouraging individuality. Absolutely against any kind of school uniform.

lyyved Virginia
07/06/13 6:25 am

I understand the reasons for uniforms in schools including not having economic differences rubbed in faces of poorer students. But I have to wear scrubs at work now (after 30 years of nice casual clothes topped with lab coat) and I hate it!

MrsLizT South Louisiana
07/06/13 5:27 am

My son has a dress code of navy or khaki pants/shorts & white or green polos-no labels showing. Any shoes you want. He wore the same shirts, pants, & shorts all school year. No having to buy fall, winter, & spring clothes, no mall shopping-Awesome.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/06/13 5:01 am

No uniforms. Simply Enforce a "Simple" Dress Code. Something appropriate for your climate. Make clear any lengths of neck & hem lines. No tube tops, designer labels whatever. Plus, Clothes must be proper size. No showing of Underwear or A$$-cracks...

Wink
07/06/13 4:45 am

I said against. I don't want to have to buy uniforms and then buy regular clothes for after school, weekends, etc. too.

christine1986
07/06/13 3:51 am

I can see the point of them but I don't think they would be effective. Kids will always find something to tease about. If its not clothes it will be something else. And the loss of free expression is too high a price to pay.

Skarface Banned
07/06/13 2:29 am

From 2nd to 5th grade I went to a public school that required uniforms. Everyone hated it. It's a waste of money and it prohibits self-expression.

comppete Las Vegas
07/06/13 1:18 am

I think what some kids wear in elementary schools is just way too provocative. Uniforms through elementary school and Jr. High should be used.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/06/13 1:02 am

I was chunky kid do they would likely have looked not so great on me. I am not in favor of them

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 12:56 am

Absolutely in favor from K-12.

aurealis the sky
07/06/13 1:08 am

Why? To strip away any form of individuality and expression?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 1:41 am

Sure - you're basically right. Self-expression in appearance is not what they're there for, and serves as a distraction from learning, concentration, order, and discipline. Let them dress like idiots on their own time, if at all.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 1:45 am

The other advantage of uniforms is that they don't permit the division of students by wealth or culture, creating an egalitarian melting pot and minimizing bullying, teasing, and cliques.

aurealis the sky
07/06/13 8:23 am

I don't think the sacrifice of self-expression is worth it. Simply having every child wear the same uniform will not solve bullying or cliques either. It's in human nature to do both. Forcing children in uniforms isn't going to increase learning.

aurealis the sky
07/06/13 8:23 am

Having a dress code is more reasonable.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 10:38 am

All our Junior Highs in Odessa have had very reasonable uniforms for over ten years. Discipline problems are down across the board. I'm not sure of the academic performance stats. They wear polo shirts and Dockers-type slacks in mix-and-match

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/06/13 10:43 am

variations of their school colors. So they're able to have some limited choice, there's always a variety in every classroom, and the initial resistance faded with the measurable success of the program.

teach248 Florida
07/06/13 12:54 am

So many things in middle school would be a lot easier with uniforms. Aside from that, I remember when you shared about the loss of your grandmother. I was very moved and think about it often. I sincerely hope that you are doing better :-)

wego Utah
07/06/13 1:03 am

Thank you so much. That really means a lot to me. I still get hit hard by the unpleasant reality of it, but I think that may be something I'll have to learn to live with. The bright side is that I had a grandmother so lovable. I miss her so much.

cyanospool The Deep North
07/06/13 12:51 am

On the one hand, loss of individual style in that environment. On the other hand, free clothes!

wego Utah
07/06/13 12:53 am

Not free...generally you have to buy them yourself.

cyanospool The Deep North
07/06/13 12:57 am

Ah, true, nothing is free. I've never been to a private school that had them, so I assumed they were usually just included (in the other payments).