Show Of Hands November 2nd, 2012 12:00am

Should NYC Mayor Bloomberg cancel the NYC Marathon or let it proceed as scheduled? (UQ)

cawench
11/03/12 7:19 am

The generator that would have powered the race clock can provide electricity to 400 homes. Good enough reason to cancel the race.

GoldenRay On SSBB
11/03/12 7:08 am

I don't see a reason to cancel honestly.. Life goes on.

Itabliss Hello
11/03/12 5:32 am

You are and idiot. Its wasteful to divert public attention to a marathon when people are dying because the help they need can't get into the city because of freaking runners. not to mention the police being diverted from REAL activities to runners safety. You're ridiculous. And a bas****.

Itabliss Hello
11/03/12 5:28 am

The marathon is help on public streets. It most certainly is NOT an over reach of power.

Itabliss Hello
11/03/12 5:24 am

It really surprises me how oblivious people out west are to this situation. Don't you own and effing TV?

Itabliss Hello
11/03/12 5:23 am

Katrina was a category 3, yes THREE when it made land fall. I don't know why people keep insisting she was a 5 at land fall. Idiots. Had the marathon been two weeks after, by all means, hold it. But when people cant even get the basics, we don't need runners in the way of REAL help.

mama3
11/03/12 4:34 am

Bigdaddy- I can't verify if that's true or not :/ I would hope not! But it wouldn't surprise me. (Just know the ppl in need are just as outraged if it is true)

tbanana
11/03/12 4:29 am

The country was much more supportive to Katrina victims than this hurricane. You have no clue what you are talking about, so maybe you should stop now.

tbanana
11/03/12 4:26 am

Wow you really have no clue.

tbanana
11/03/12 4:18 am

So human lives should take a back seat to a race because of money. There are still people dying. Just this morning I heard a man died of hypothermia because he's still without power. The money is irrelevant when people are dying.

tbanana
11/03/12 4:14 am

A sign of hope and strength would be giving the massive generators they were using for the race to those still without power. Try not taking a hot shower for 7 days. The police presence doesn't need to be distracted with a stupid race. There are still people dying!

outdoorgirl
11/03/12 4:10 am

The marathon eve dinner has been cancelled. They should still have the dinner but it should b for anyone directly affected by the storm. If they can still get the food there. That'd b a good hot meal for all those people who haven't had one in almost a week!

outdoorgirl
11/03/12 4:04 am

I agree. If it was me that's exactly what I'd do. I'd keep my flight and go help. I think donating ur hotel room is an excellent idea for people who can't go. I'd even donate my race shirt. Whatever I could do to help.

outdoorgirl
11/03/12 3:55 am

I couldn't look at the damage, the people as I run by knowing what they went thru and r still experiencing. I couldn't enjoy post race food or my cool race shirt knowing there r people without basic needs. The US knows NY is a strong state and can overcome anything, there was no need to prove that.

outdoorgirl
11/03/12 3:48 am

Least. No one knew this would happen. I more than understand and support the decision to cancel the race. I for one could not go on and run knowing people were still homeless, cold, hungry and without power. I could not sit in a hotel room knowing there were people outside with no place to live.

outdoorgirl
11/03/12 3:45 am

I c it both ways. I'm a runner and know what it's like to train for months, prepare, make arrangements to travel from a different country or state, take off work, put ur life and family on hold for one day, one event all to have it cancelled at the last min. But life is unpredictable to stay the

bigdaddy1 Nashville
11/03/12 3:42 am

Nfl games where postponed after 9/11. And nfl games are different than a marathon. Football or basketball game do not take over a city like a marathon does.

ceej Michigan
11/02/12 11:29 pm

@Pytho you need gov permits and assistance to hold a marathon that uses roadways. Traffic must be re-routed and police presence is required to keep things orderly and to direct traffic.

lmurder MDK
11/02/12 10:34 pm

So should we cancel the election in 4 days?

lmurder MDK
11/02/12 10:31 pm

elsewhere. Marathon in Paris. Somewhere exotic.
Life goes on. When you live within eyes view of the ocean and one that is active with hurricanes you must be careful.
80 years is a good stretch.
It's to bad we couldn't be this reactive and supportive for New Orleans when they got hit.

lmurder MDK
11/02/12 10:29 pm

Lots of money will be lost. Should of held it like we held the football games after 9/11. Shows we can continue and life goes on. Sucks but luckily it wasn't a category 5 Katrina.
Only reason they did it because of the manpower and locals crying foul. Sucks to be a runner. I'd take my business

lmurder MDK
11/02/12 10:26 pm

350 million American dollars

lmurder MDK
11/02/12 10:26 pm

It brings in more money than it costs. The only reason their doing it is because of manpower and they don't want to seem insensitive.
And a randumb fact fact of the day. The New York marathon is the sporting event that brings in the most money for a city in a 3 day period out of all sporting events

bigdaddy1 Nashville
11/02/12 9:51 pm

I am heading up there this weekend to help out. Also maybe one of you can verify. I was told by a friend that his dad was turns away from helping restore power because he was not Union?!? If that is true WTF!!

ElizabethB
11/02/12 9:50 pm

I think having the marathon continue would be a sign of hope and strength. And in a natural disaster area hope and strength are what you need most.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
11/02/12 9:49 pm

Just postpone it a week or two not cancel.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
11/02/12 9:48 pm

It's not about the money. Have you ever seen or been a part of a marathon? The one here in Nashville takes over the city for the weekend.

brianparks69 charlotte
11/02/12 9:41 pm

Yeah, we'll climate change don't give a happy horse sh!t whether your dumb ass believes in it or not (and neither does Bloomberg for that matter).

Strength
11/02/12 9:17 pm

If you have any idea how much money it makes, you wouldn't cancel it.

mama3
11/02/12 9:02 pm

Mpapa- ill be in Long Island tomorrow assisting with power restoration. How bad is it exactly? (Not from a power perspective...but a human perspective) I'd like to think everyone is helping each other but been hearing some pretty awful stories - people getting desperate...and rightfully so!

madeit Houston Area
11/02/12 9:01 pm

It is too soon after such unspeakable pain for so many. Give them a chance to recover first.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/02/12 8:43 pm

A burp?????

Death, widespread destruction, much of the population without basic needs?

Either you don't read and absorb the news or you are incredibly insensitive to suffering!

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/02/12 8:37 pm

They can do it, when public safety is at stake.

c2alife Long Island
11/02/12 8:34 pm

All the people that were running should be volunteering their time and strength to those in need !!!!!!

Gunfighter
11/02/12 8:23 pm

Get the Guard in there to restore order, stop the looting, and get some food and supplies in there. F the marathon, you can always postpone it. Run it in the spring. Good running weather in the spring.

c2alife Long Island
11/02/12 8:20 pm

I live on Long Island and this marathon should not even have been up for discussion!!!! Clearly those who said it should go on have NO F#^%* CLUE what's happening here!!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!

pythomit
11/02/12 8:16 pm

How can the government require a corporation to cease its operations? Ridiculous over reach of big government!

mama3
11/02/12 7:35 pm

Not to mention everyone else without food, water, gas (people are robbing people for gas and looting)...those generators sitting pretty in Central Park need to be sent to areas where people haven't had heat in days!

mama3
11/02/12 7:34 pm

I realize its been cancelled and thank God. I go to Staten Island frequently and even attempted to run the marathon a few years ago. (Made it 13 miles...next time!) the staging areas would be located blocks from where dead bodies are being found. Bloomberg really had his head up his ass there.

andrewv SC
11/02/12 7:29 pm

While climate change isn't in the first 100 reasons I would endorse Obama, it is a valid reason.

snafu Washington
11/02/12 7:10 pm

Isn't it cancelled already? I heard people who were planning on running it that live in other places are donating their already paid hotel rooms to people in need.

USA
11/02/12 7:03 pm

Hey genius, i realize that you are clearly unaware of the absolute level of destruction that has occurred here in the east, but canceling the marathon has nothing to do offending anyone, yet everything to do with helping people survive. People like you give republicans a bad name.

Liberty2016
11/02/12 6:29 pm

What's wrong with moving it back? And if they do cancel it they will have it next year.

Liberty2016
11/02/12 6:27 pm

Calm down bro. Don't be mad he didn't pick your guy.

Typpet
11/02/12 5:53 pm

Bloomberg is a fuck head for supporting Obammy. And for the bullshit reason of climate change...what a scumbag

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2