shellybaxter1234 July 3rd, 2013 3:20pm

Inspired by Skinner - If you had to grade the trustworthiness of those in charge of Fortune 500 companies in America which letter would you give them.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/03/13 10:48 am

Trust to keep my stock prices from tanking, we'll go with B

TomM
07/03/13 11:33 am

Really!
I know your political opinion but an F. That's like saying they are bankrupt. Do you really think they are that bad on average.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/03/13 5:11 pm

No - I think they are that untrustworthy. My question was about whether they can be trusted - just like the question about the government. These companies are untrustworthy by law. They must do what is best for their stockholders not the people

TomM
07/03/13 5:16 pm

That's sad. I'm sorry for you.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/03/13 5:21 pm

Thom you do understand that a company with stockholders has a fiduciary responsibility to make decisions that will benefit their stockholders. Meaning that they are not allowed to consider whether something is better for society only whether it

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/03/13 5:23 pm

Make money. That is my main concern with the ideas of those on this app who want less government. They seem to think that "the market" will take care of everything, but it is not equipped to be humane

TomM
07/03/13 5:27 pm

I understand and agree that companies are there to make money. But please don't think they always will make the decision to make money in the short run. Their duty to the shareholders is to make money in the long run.

TomM
07/03/13 5:30 pm

I work for DuPont, we have 4 core values that beats any other decision. If you violate or even suggest that, there are serious consequences: Safety and Health, Environmental Stewardship, Highest Ethical Behavior and Respect for People

TomM
07/03/13 5:30 pm

If you should be interested you can read about them here
www2.dupont.com/corp/en-us/our-company/core-values.html

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/03/13 5:31 pm

Agreed - they can consider short or long run, but they will never choose to do for society over making money - correct

TomM
07/03/13 5:32 pm

And like you said companies have to make the best decision for the shareholders. Sometimes that is not to make a profit.

TomM
07/03/13 5:33 pm

I don't agree they will not do something for the society. My company gives a lot of money to education, local community projects etc. Of course it is to get a better standing with the community, no secret there, but we all benefit.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/03/13 5:35 pm

I am familiar with values statement - and DuPont seems like a good place to work. It sounds like they treat their employees well and are good corporate citizens - but would they choose to do for the community OVER making profit

TomM
07/03/13 10:15 pm

I like working here and I appreciate what they do. Will they always do the right thing seen from a society point of view, maybe not, but generally I think we do good. But who will always do the right thing. Nobody in my opinion.

TomM