Br@ndon July 2nd, 2013 11:47pm

Lets say you are building a computer from scratch. Which comes first? Software (programs and operating system) or hardware (CPU, GPU, Ram, etc)

meg9813 California
07/02/13 7:15 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to build a computer from scratch. Haha I guessed hardware. From reading the comments seems like I was probably right. Hidden talent?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
07/02/13 5:47 pm

If you haven't found Tiger Direct yet, check them out!

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/02/13 5:46 pm

As a person who has built at least a 7 computers and worked on others. The best idea is find friends with outdated computers. You can strip them for parts hard drives, mice, keyboards, and monitors. I built two computers out of junk computers.

potatoes
07/03/13 2:58 am

I love doing stuff like that. My current laptop is from 2006 and runs like new with Windows 7 and I have 3 spare computers around, wish I had a couple more to work with.

gleeky1
07/02/13 5:45 pm

Hardware because it gives you the ram and CPU to run the os.

not_even Boston, MA
07/02/13 5:32 pm

As someone who has never built a computer before, I can assure you that I have no idea, but I chose hardware.

comppete Las Vegas
07/02/13 5:17 pm

If you are talking about determining which OS you want to use, then software comes first, and like Commonsense stated; that will determine the hardware.

comppete Las Vegas
07/02/13 5:18 pm

I'm guessing, you are already going to build a PC not a MAC. I have not heard of anyone building a MAC from scratch. But, I have never had a MAC.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/02/13 5:39 pm

Mac and windows run on the same hardware now.

comppete Las Vegas
07/02/13 6:02 pm

I did not know this. I really have been out of the loop since I retired.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/02/13 7:06 pm

Some folks put Linux, windows, and leopard on one computer. I hate the idea I also hate windows but Microsoft is like an abusive boyfriend it's good to you sometimes.

comppete Las Vegas
07/02/13 7:19 pm

I agree about the Microsoft. You can't really get away from needing it, at least with the programs I run.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/02/13 4:57 pm

I would do it on paper. Find out what OS you want and what you want to use it for mostly. Then buy the best hardware for that OS. Answer: hardware first.

Fjolsvin Midgard
07/02/13 4:54 pm

The decision is made based on the software needs. First determine what os and understand the recommended specs for that OS. Select hardware to exceed that spec and ensure drivers are available for the hardware you choose before you buy it

Jungle in the dog house
07/02/13 4:49 pm

Without the hardware there's no place to put the software.