Nizabelle July 2nd, 2013 9:08pm

Do you think it is hypocritical to be both pro-life AND in support of the death penalty?

badattitude no place like home
07/02/13 9:27 pm

Great question. Similar to the liberal stance of protesting a child killer from being put to death but promoting late term abortion in the next breath.

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
07/02/13 8:34 pm

It is possible to hate somebody and wish death upon them if they have brought death upon others and still appreciate the life of a strangers living fetus.

Think Lovin Life
07/02/13 7:21 pm

There is a difference between barbarically killing the innocent unborn, and exercising justice on the guilty.

The real irony is the pro-death position of being willing to murder the innocent while protecting the guilty.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/02/13 7:07 pm

No, it depends on why you are each, and a lot of that has to do with what you value in terms of life. Killing a criminal is different, to some, than killing an innocent.
I believe opposite of both personally, but I don't see them as inconsistent.

mthomas3073 Costa Mesa
07/02/13 6:10 pm

It says that human life has value and you can lose that value

mabbou Omaha
07/02/13 5:08 pm

I voted yes, but I guess I'm hypocritical myself. In essence your dealing with taking a life so it should be the same regardless.

juiceman1601 Alton Il.
07/02/13 3:53 pm

Let's see. Unborn baby without a choice in the matter and adults having had made a choice that is punishable by death. I see your point but I can separate the two. Good question.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/02/13 3:42 pm

No - people have different reason for different beliefs. I personally am pro choice but anti-death penalty

badattitude no place like home
07/02/13 9:28 pm

Think Lovin Life
07/03/13 2:07 am

It makes perfect sense to liberals to kill the innocent and protect the guilty.

This is a repulsive position to sensible people.

ishady 86451132020
07/02/13 3:30 pm

Not to mention anti-birth control, anti welfare, anti-kids assistance programs.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:35 pm

But they had nothing to do with the question at hand

ishady 86451132020
07/02/13 3:50 pm

Pro lifers aren't mostly republicans who are against these things?

HayleyS looking up.
07/02/13 3:56 pm

I don't know a single republican who is anti birth control lol.

inge MIA
07/02/13 4:07 pm

Plan B is what comes to my mind

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 4:12 pm

Then you should have said that, and I wasn't asking to be a jerk. I really did just want to know what you meant

ishady 86451132020
07/02/13 4:21 pm

I didn't assume anything nizz. Just trying to clarify.

HayleyS looking up.
07/02/13 4:25 pm

yeah but I don't really think if Plan B as birth control.. Birth control prevents pregnancy before it happens, not after.But that's just the way I view it
Not saying I'm against plan B; I just don't put it in the same category as other birth controls

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 4:50 pm

Haha thanks for clarifying mr shady! And yes it does tend to be republicans

dawl adulting
07/02/13 6:30 pm

Actually plan B is very similar to other birth control. It's not an abortion pill, it is like a high dose of "regular" pills to keep you from ovulating if you haven't already. If you have already ovulated it won't do anything.

Think Lovin Life
07/02/13 7:24 pm

Shady ... there you go again, throw every pathetic and nonsensical liberal idea in and hope something sticks.

The question is simple ... Is it consistent to believe in protecting innocent life while condemning the guilty to their just punishment?

ishady 86451132020
07/03/13 1:17 am

Like I told you before think. I'm going to take all these kids you want born, and drop them off at your house to take care of. I hope you've got the room.

Typical pro-lifer tea bagger, you've got your mouth to complain, but no ideas on solving this.

Think Lovin Life
07/03/13 1:23 am

Shady ... personal attacks and attempted intimidation?

You just do that, you drop those kids off, and we'll make sure to do two good things at once. We'll find great homes for those (mostly black) kids, and eliminate the adoption wait list. FTW!

ishady 86451132020
07/03/13 1:28 am

Stop being a pùssy. Nobody attacked you. You want them born? You give them welfare. You want abortion stopped. You give these kids a home.
How do you assume most aborted kids are black? Do you count the rich white women that do it?

ishady 86451132020
07/03/13 1:38 am

If I'm wrong think state for the record right now your pro-welfare , pro-birth control and pro- kids assistance programs.

You won't because you have no ideas on what to do with these unwanted kids, till you get to give them the death penalty.

ishady 86451132020
07/03/13 2:32 am

The simple fact is republicans are ignoring the rule of law to force their religious views on abortion on the people.
Jabbing their fingers in the eye of the democratic process.
Small government only when it fits your agenda.

sarahgc58
07/02/13 3:03 pm

No. I think that they are such different circumstances that it is not hypocritical. (Just as a side note, to put my comment into context, I am pro-choice with very little patience for pro-life people. And I am torn when it comes to the death penalty)

EarlyBird Portland
07/02/13 2:52 pm

Pro-life, where did that come from? What those people really are is anti-abortion.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
07/02/13 3:15 pm

Same way pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion. It's a complicated issue.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:36 pm

Yes, I agree with both of you but I specifically chose pro-choice because of the second part of the question

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
07/02/13 3:38 pm

Oh, I don't have an issue with the terminology. I don't think it's as misleading to say pro-life as much as to say pro-abortion. In greater context though, pro-life can be misleading when people try to apply it to other issues, like the death penalty

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:39 pm

Pro-choice is a much better term than pro-abortion, I don't even classify them to be identical terms

knetzere Illinois
07/02/13 2:43 pm

The difference here is that the baby hasn't had a chance to do something wrong while the person sentenced to death had a full life to make the right decisions and actions

RJ1969 SoCal
07/02/13 2:44 pm

An egg is not a zygote is not an embryo is not a fetus is not a baby.

Hence, the different words.

RJ1969 SoCal
07/02/13 2:39 pm

How can you honestly say you're pro-life when you do nothing to slow or stop the deaths of 20,000 children under the age of 5 each and everyday?

You think you're pro-life because you have an opinion about enacting restrictive laws based on religion?

RJ1969 SoCal
07/02/13 2:41 pm

The death penalty isn't a deterrent.

But it sure makes people feel good by enacting vengeance.

veritas1 Panda
07/02/13 3:12 pm

Child starvation? Not our country. Not our problem. The military is more deserving of the money anyway. We need to buy more tanks and ammo!

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
07/02/13 3:16 pm

This would probably be a better comparison question. I think abortion and the death penalty are apples and oranges.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/02/13 3:40 pm

Happy early birthday. I was born in the morning.

RJ1969 SoCal
07/02/13 5:21 pm

Me too tops...8AM on the dot.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
07/02/13 2:35 pm

I'm pro-boobies and I support mastectomies.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 2:50 pm

Of course you are pro-boobies sir!

Angela12 Anyang, South Korea
07/02/13 2:34 pm

I'm pro-life and against the death penalty--I think life is sacred. That's all there is to it.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/02/13 2:38 pm

The same here.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:08 pm

I agree that all life is sacred, however I do believe in a woman's right choose, though I know what my choice would be

Angela12 Anyang, South Korea
07/02/13 3:20 pm

And we can agree to disagree on that--and I'm not against prevention in any way, just abortion.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:34 pm

Haha agreed! And my reasoning for feeling that way is because I don't think that it is my place to tell anybody what to do so if another woman feels the need to have an abortion then that's her decision (and she'll have to live with it)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/02/13 3:38 pm

My daughter-in-law had an abortion in her sixth month of pregnancy. The baby was badly deformed would not have lived very long after birth. I supported her choice. It was such a heartbreaking time for the whole family.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:40 pm

I a so deeply sorry for your loss

veritas1 Panda
07/02/13 2:34 pm

Of course. You are either pro-life in every case or you're not pro-life. You don't get to add asterisk on "life" to fit your agenda, especially not when you use the term "pro-life" as an ideological battering ram on those who disagree with you.

veritas1 Panda
07/02/13 2:34 pm

Oh. Duplicate poll. Nvm.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:09 pm

Yeah sorry about that, don't know why it published twice

ShereKhan A very dark place.
07/02/13 2:23 pm

I once had a religion teacher try to tell me the difference between kill and murder as it pertains to the bible to justify war and death penalty . Nope epic fail

swjboucher Just Run
07/02/13 2:26 pm

There is a difference. During war you maybe faced with killing someone or being killed. That is not murder.

RJ1969 SoCal
07/02/13 2:30 pm

Murder is an unjustified homicide. Neither capital punishment nor abortion is murder.

The question asked about being pro-life, not murder.

Epic fail indeed.

ShereKhan A very dark place.
07/02/13 2:45 pm

If that definition helps u sleep at night so be it. We live in a country where ur word matters and I respect ur thoughts. It may not sway me but I do understand. In regards to war I believe in civil disobedience.

ShereKhan A very dark place.
07/02/13 2:47 pm

I do understand during war one may have to take a life but being a practitioner who has to take care of the ones that live... Trust me some of them wish they had been on the other side of the gun

rlands
07/02/13 2:20 pm

I don't like to put any two positions on different issues into the same comparison. They're different. There may be some overlapping principles but they're different. I try not to consider people hypocrites for political positions on diff issues.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/02/13 3:11 pm

I agree that you can't really put two things together however if you believe that all life is sacred then you can't just apply that o one thing and not the other. Acts of self-defense are different. And if you are pro-life for different reasons then

rlands
07/02/13 3:13 pm

Right. There are a lot of different reasons. I totally understand the thought process that killing an innocent child is way different than punishing a guilty horrible adult. I get that. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

swjboucher Just Run
07/02/13 2:17 pm

I am all for giving an innocent the ability to live and pursue happiness. But as a free thinking adult I believe you can forfeit that right by an action or actions that cause great harm or death to another human.