Show Of Hands December 26th, 2012 12:00am

Do you try to correct all typos before sending text messages?

tdaddy diversity
12/31/12 11:29 am

Mainly just the many made by my iPhone's "automistake" as they are the most incongruous. Just the other day a friend (with an iPhone) texted me to ask where my where my wife gets the water she uses when she makes jewelry. I'm like, huh??? ..She meant, "wire."

wright3f San Diego
12/29/12 4:51 am

Ha! I never realized that and I'm very grammar/spelling OCD!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/28/12 5:30 pm

Susanr - I assumed you didn't see it. I'm lucky I can read any of this stuff on my iPod with my one good eye that can only focus at 3" away with a 14x reading lens. I'm 20-200 these days! :)

penelope USA
12/28/12 4:29 pm

Bad English and text short cuts drive me crazy. I use voice recognition most of the time, and it's pretty accurate so there aren't many typos to fix.

lightsabr2 The Wild Blue Yonder
12/28/12 1:17 pm

The days of "lol k omw brt" are long over.

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 11:28 am

Can grammar be immature?

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 9:06 am

Holy - I've got a dollar that says you are behind the Mississippi state prank being pulled on us.

EarlyBird Portland
12/28/12 8:57 am

Jack - thanks for making me giggle!

susanr Colorado
12/28/12 8:06 am

tlaney - You're correct, of course, about the semicolon. I hadn't noticed it was a comma, but there it is.

lazel fandom rehab
12/28/12 7:18 am

Well that was a fail. I meant to type two.

lazel fandom rehab
12/28/12 7:02 am

Don't you need a comma and then a conjunction for your sentence, Nick? My English teacher told me that to stick to fragments together you can use super glue (a ;), or you can use Elmer's glue and some tape (a , conjunction). So that's how I remember it. Happy grammar, Satricalnick!

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/28/12 2:16 am

I usually don't like name-calling, but an insult coming from an eleven-teen year old who can't comprise a cogent, coherent sentence possessing a wealth of ignorance of his own doesn't really bother me too much.

satiricalnick meh
12/27/12 11:29 pm

Yall buncha igborant blugarts.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 11:01 pm

Wow, Jack, deja vu! No, when I say no offense meant, I mean it (the statement, not the offense!). :)

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/27/12 10:40 pm

I'm not sure, but did you just insult SatiricalNick?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 10:07 pm

Nick's version is technically incorrect. We English teachers call it a comma splice. A semicolon can join two complete sentences, but a comma without a conjunction cannot. (Sorry, Nick; nothing personal.)

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 9:33 pm

Poor grammar may result from a number of things, but I don't think immaturity is a direct cause. And I'd rather read something interesting from a person with poor grammar than a perfectly constructed sentence that doesn't have much meaningful content.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 9:31 pm

Thanks, tlaney! That's really very kind of you. I appreciate it a lot.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 9:27 pm

Nick, those really were two complete sentences. They each had a subject and a verb. They could stand separately, or be combined as you did. I like your way a little better, as it shows the relationship between the two better, but it wasn't incorrect the other way.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 9:24 pm

I have good English skills, am a fast typist on a regular keyboard, & try hard to correct my errors. I still make many, & some get through. I don't know if it's fat fingers, fuzzy brain, or both, but I am not lazy & don't like being called that. And autocorrect gets things wrong as often as right.

satiricalnick meh
12/27/12 7:54 pm

Keep relying on your little program, ignorance is bliss.

annoyingvoice
12/27/12 7:30 pm

Weel na allweys, butt sometingez

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/27/12 7:29 pm

Sorry Nick, but jiffy had two complete correct sentences there. I see nothing wrong with them.

satiricalnick meh
12/27/12 6:52 pm

Also, let me correct your grammar.

"I disagree, poor grammar is immature!"

There see? You had two fragments there.

satiricalnick meh
12/27/12 6:51 pm

Why is it that you "grammar nazis" see fit to only correct spelling? I sometimes wonder if you mongoloids actually know what grammar is.

jiffymix
12/27/12 6:44 pm

I disagree! Poor grammar is immature!

jiffymix
12/27/12 6:44 pm

"Try"? No, I just DO it. It's easy. If you have an iPhone, autocorrect even does it for you. How lazy are you if you can't even bother to check your texts?

satiricalnick meh
12/27/12 6:16 pm

A text message is a text message, not a term paper. Stop being grammar nazis, its stupid and immature.

iJake Colorado
12/27/12 5:49 pm

Just a non paragraph response passing through.

iJake Colorado
12/27/12 5:48 pm

Whi has time 4 dat,

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 4:34 pm

...and I meant no offense to you in my reply to supereliguy. I was musing on the phrase's devolution, certainly not on your obvious intellect. It's so hard to type something with a smile (as opposed to, say, Skype).

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 4:24 pm

susan, in reply to your first post, don't be so hard on yourself. I find your writing delightful and your thoughts sharp as a tack! Keep up the great posts! :)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 4:15 pm

RJ - you've got me curious now. Are you a doctor or a philosopher? Most folks would have used "etymology," but your choice is equally precise yet more elegant. Keep up the interesting posts, my friend. :)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/27/12 4:03 pm

Heck no, Jack. I certainly didn't mean to.

EarlyBird Portland
12/27/12 1:58 pm

What RJ is getting at is if you're going to criticize people for their grammar, you should not make grammatical errors in doing so. :-)

colematts Buffalo, New York
12/27/12 1:02 pm

Yes, but I don't get upset if others do not. I do, however, get upset when it's done on Twitter or Facebook. Weird. Maybe because it's more public/permanent?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
12/27/12 6:03 am

what's up with Mississippi...? These past few questions...

wythanee
12/27/12 5:16 am

I agree entirely. Texting is such an arduous task that I wouldn't want to type much more than "OK." Calling is so much easier.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/27/12 4:43 am

Ahhh, Ms. @susanr, you delineate my sentiments nicely. The one exception for me is I won't "point out" anyone's "silliness", primarily 'cuz I've made some silly mistakes myself! And when I do, I won't mind your critique!

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 1:35 am

Or was that a comment about OCD itself, RJ? My sarcasm filter is broken.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 1:33 am

Abbreviations without a period after each letter are pretty standard now. They're used extensively in scientific manuscripts and I'm almost positive in standard writing as well. I like it better; think it looks more pleasing & saves a smidge of space too (which is even more important here).

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/27/12 12:57 am

Also I have to have my nose about 3 inches away from the page when I read. So to use us ShowOfHands and a dictionary the same time would call a lot of work this is not a term paper it's an opinion poll.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/27/12 12:55 am

Or lack of time. I do the best I can and I think others do also. Did suggest to an author that would be an awfully funny twist for a FBI mystery as someone has a head cold uses Siri and the totally wrong message gets sent and let the consequences fall where they may.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/27/12 12:48 am

Maybe that is why you're not tolerant.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 12:43 am

On the third hand, if someone makes a *rude* comment about someone else's English AND uses incorrect English in doing it, I'll often point out the silliness. My favorite is when someone complains about someone else's "grammer." Otherwise, I don't mind the errors. Even though I do love good writing.

susanr Colorado
12/27/12 12:40 am

On the other hand, other people's typos (& misspellings & less than perfect grammar) don't really bother me. I learned long ago that an almost illiterate person can have something profound to say, & sometimes the nastiest or less useful thoughts can be couched in perfect English.