BeachSt July 2nd, 2013 1:22am

July 1, 2013. Texting and driving is now a primary offense in the Commonwealth of Virginia punishable by a $125 fine, $250 for second offense. Does your state have a ban on texting? How do you fell about the issue?

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
07/04/13 7:08 am

I glad for the ban but I notice all to often that it's not stopping people from talking or texting with the phone in their hand.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/02/13 3:26 am

Hopefully the cops give themselves tickets for using their in car laptops while driving

rory82 Virginia
07/02/13 7:50 am

I have been taking pictures of cops using their laptop and phone while driving. I will be sending them in when ban goes into affect.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/02/13 12:18 am

The only function of these laws is for the state to harvest more revenue from the people. No one actually follows car phone laws.

JamesR Indiana
07/01/13 10:51 pm

It's a danger to themselves and others around them. Of course It should be banned!

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/02/13 3:26 am

The act of driving is dangerous.

Ban all the things!!!!

boboli
07/02/13 7:07 am

That's a ridiculous slippery slope. Research shows that texting while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. People swerve, have slow reaction times, and endanger everyone around them. Should drunk driving be legal too?

AnnaRose Texas
07/01/13 10:20 pm

One of my best guy friends actually threw his friend's phone out the window going 65 the other day because the guy was texting and driving. You can tell he agrees, it should be banned.

Think Lovin Life
07/01/13 9:07 pm

I agree that it should be illegal, as should talking on a handheld phone, applying make up, eating or talking to a passenger.

AnnaRose Texas
07/01/13 10:18 pm

Talking to a passenger is a bit extreme, what if they need to ask for directions or the passenger to do something that they can't so they can keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road and surroundings? And that would be harder to enforce.

zdl2442 Right Here
07/02/13 10:31 am

Think, texting and driving is illegal in Iowa.

sarahgc58
07/01/13 8:51 pm

Anyone who said no ban is ridiculous. One person texting and driving puts everyone on the road around them in danger. It is reckless endangerment.

sixpackchihuahu Sun, Sand, No Beaches
07/01/13 8:50 pm

I'm very much against distracted driving.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 8:50 pm

Any use of a phone/laptop/whatever should be illegal. No checking messages, looking for directions, gas prices, store opening hours and so on etc. Seriously, it's an epidemic here.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 8:53 pm

Having said that, I'm guessing most states should already have this covered with some kind of anti-distraction laws. If they're inadequate or have loopholes then fix them, but it's dumb to make new laws chasing the same goal.

baskins The Foothills
07/02/13 7:18 am

In pa it's illegal to use any touchscreen device while driving. Including answering a call, but talking on the phone is ok. if your on the phone, get pulled over they can look at your phone to see if you started the conversation while driving.

boboli
07/02/13 8:22 am

What if you have a passenger? Couldn't they have dialed for you? Or Siri?

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/01/13 8:37 pm

While I wish people would quit it, words on paper and funnelling more of people's wages to the govt is certainly not the answer. I really wish govt was capable of some creative thought once in a whole instead of the same tired solutions.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
07/01/13 8:07 pm

It's a stupid, unenforceable law. Dumb laws don't prevent dumb people from doing dumb things!

sarahgc58
07/01/13 8:53 pm

How is this unenforceable? A police officer sees someone looking down or at their phone, so they pull them over and give them a ticket.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 9:01 pm

I reckon a single unmarked SUV with a couple of coppers, one to drive and one to film, would catch tons of people. In one recent half hour journey on the freeway I saw about a dozen instances of people using smartphones at the wheel.

camigirl
07/01/13 7:32 pm

Yes there's laws here. What I don't understand though is places that ban talking on the phone, but not texting. Texting is way more distracting and dangerous in my opinion

boboli
07/02/13 7:09 am

I'm guessing they just haven't gotten around to it.

baskins The Foothills
07/01/13 7:32 pm

There is a ban here which doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that they can go through your phone and see of you used it, including placing a call on a touch screen phone. That's a little much and a bit of an invasion of privacy.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/01/13 7:06 pm

My state has a ban - I can't even answer the phone (which is banned to BTW) without it distracting me so I think the ban is a good idea

commonsense America isnt racist
07/01/13 7:04 pm

Yep, California bans it. I'm okay with banning it.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 7:06 pm

Is talking on the phone (with actual phone) banned, as well?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/01/13 7:06 pm

Yes - in Cali without a hands free

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 7:09 pm

See I don't understand that. Is the act of me holding my hand to my head any more distracting than the actual conversation? Is the conversation distracting? Does that mean I can't even talk to a passenger?

commonsense America isnt racist
07/01/13 7:11 pm

It's because you need to free hands to drive. I think it's odd also because people are still distracted while having "hands free" devices.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 7:17 pm

I think if they want a driving while talking on the phone law like that, then they need a hands on the wheel law. Since that seems to be the issue...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/01/13 6:58 pm

We have a ban. It's a redundant and unnecessary law. Driving distracted has been illegal for ages. If the texting isn't a distraction, why should it be illegal?

donna0987 Indiana
07/01/13 6:54 pm

I don't need a law to tell me it's wrong.

rlands
07/01/13 6:56 pm

Maybe you don't, but a lot of people do.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/01/13 6:49 pm

Stupid ban eating, make up, changing the radio, talking, picking, your nose, brushing your hair, chewing gum, and a hundred other things that go on in a car.

MrLove lovers, dreamers and me
07/01/13 6:48 pm

I love the ban, I just wish people would actually stop doing it. It's so dangerous.

Melon No Ducklips
07/01/13 6:48 pm

It's punishable by fine but should be punishable by 50 lashings with whatever is closest to whomever catches them. I've been run off the road 3 or 4 times by idiots I plainly saw looking at their friggin phone. Argh!

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 9:06 pm

I've had a couple near misses too. When you have 4+ lanes of tightly packed traffic (no one leaves a gap here) moving at 60-80mph, if just one guy weaves out of lane the effect ripples across and behind as everyone takes avoiding action.

chickencookie It really is
07/01/13 6:44 pm

Texting is worth than drunk driving and people are idiots to do it.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/01/13 6:43 pm

It's only a secondary offense here for adults. But if caught, it's a misdemeanor with $150 fine. Its mostly aimed towards minors, is much stricter, and is a primary offense for them: $150 fine & 60 day license suspension for 1st offense.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/01/13 6:51 pm

Since its only secondary for adults, I think it's pretty much pointless since they're more unlikely to be caught.

boboli
07/01/13 6:32 pm

I 100% support it. We have one here.

Wert A picture of my junk
07/01/13 6:32 pm

MN distracted driving law.

Wert A picture of my junk
07/01/13 6:32 pm

Started I. 2008, if I recall correctly.

Wert A picture of my junk
07/01/13 10:33 pm

As I recall, no texting, at all. No cellphones for inexperienced drivers. No cellphones for bus and transportation service drivers.

rlands
07/01/13 6:23 pm

Good. It should be illegal. I see people doing it and I'm just like "what are you thinking..." What about red lights though?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 6:25 pm

What about y'all's ban on talking on the phone? I personally don't like it, but DC is pretty hectic. How do you feel?

rlands
07/01/13 6:28 pm

Isn't that banned in VA and MD too? Maybe it's just DC...

I think it's good. People on their phones drive noticeably worse, so I'm sure it's saved some lives. Mainly fender benders though. And people still do it, just not as much.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
07/01/13 6:33 pm

I agree with rlands. I hope sc gets something. The drivers here are horrible. Almost everyday it feels like someone's gonna rear end you because they don't give any distance or their on their phones or texting. The cops don't do there jobs. Sucks

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 6:59 pm

Talking on the phone is still a green light here, as I think it should be. I say that because talking to someone else while I prop my head is just as distracting but not illegal. I think talking is going a bit far.

rlands
07/01/13 7:00 pm

Huh I didn't know that. I probably still won't do it, but I always refrained from talking on my phone when I got to VA.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
07/01/13 7:03 pm

It can be a bit far..but most cars have Bluetooth. I don't really care just don't text or drive

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 7:05 pm

Yeah, a light goes off in my head that says "don't answer the phone" when I cross the Potomac.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/01/13 7:08 pm

The distracting part with talking on the phone is dialing, scrolling through contacts, glitches on the phone (not just me, right?). It's hard to find that balance.

rlands
07/01/13 7:09 pm

Exactly. Cross the Legion bridge and no more handheld!

BeachSt Coastal Virginia