Show Of Hands December 13th, 2012 12:00am

When you go to a movie theater, do you always have a specific movie and time in mind first, or do you sometimes decide when you get there?

susanr Colorado
12/16/12 1:39 am

I almost never see a movie in a theater. Only twice in the last 22 years, I think. I used to go a lot - mostly before there were multiplex theaters so it was ALWAYS choose 1st - but I just don't enjoy it much any more. Price too high, people talking, sticky floors, snacks cost too much. Ick.

DelephantRosanctuary
12/14/12 11:05 pm

I just think it's smarter to know what time to go instead of just going and then seeing the showtimes then noticing none are about to play and you must wait.

MrMilkdud
12/14/12 9:31 pm

We not only buy our tickets in advance, but the theater we go to lets us reserve our seat.
And they serve dinner!

Crito
12/14/12 5:33 pm

No it's just the fun of getting there, having a few choices, and picking the best one

chile safer than congress
12/14/12 8:42 am

That confirms it. 5% of Americans are foolhardy and willing to part with their money on a whim. Or is that Congress willing to part with our money?
(Scratches head)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/14/12 7:10 am

Ohhh, this is such a good season for the movies! On Christmas Day the ladies are going to go see Les Mes the men are going to stay home with the kids. However I will have a nice dinner cooked and they can watch sports. They would prefer that to watching a musical.

tdaddy Kentucky
12/14/12 6:24 am

Choose and go; otherwise I feel more pressure to see something even if it's something I'd consider an inferior movie if I had considered it as a possible choice before leaving the house.

gtgconfused
12/14/12 5:14 am

We have to drive 20+ miles, so we always plan time & movie

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/14/12 4:40 am

Although washed, I hate the fingerprints and scratches on the IMAX glasses. They are not packaged. They are also flatter and don't sit well against my glasses. IMAX is supposed to be bigger, clearer and better. I am not so sure after testing the 3d experience a few times in both.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/14/12 4:35 am

The realD films seem to use glasses with a combination polarization and color differential between the eyes. Each set of glasses is individually packed in a fresh sealed package. Your eyes don't squint or strain to focus for some reason. Where we are they recycle IMAX 3d glasses.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
12/14/12 1:07 am

Most of the time I choose the movie and time in advance. But there are times when my boyfriend and I are out and about and decide to stop at the movie theatre just so see what's playing at that time. :)

Wert A picture of my junk
12/13/12 11:41 pm

Haven't been to a movie theater in over 10 years. But when I went, it was choose and go.

dawl adulting
12/13/12 9:30 pm

Oh no! Mine still works great that sucks .

JanuaryLove
12/13/12 8:40 pm

For those of us not in the know, what is the difference between RealD and 3D?

JanuaryLove
12/13/12 8:39 pm

@dawl - I toddled on over to the App Store, and checked out Poynt. Looks like it used to be an awesome app. All the recent reviews are 1 star, complaining of the app being broken. Too bad, it looked good. I like finding fun, new apps.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/13/12 6:00 pm

Me too.
There's so many crappy movies out there now that if by chance I found one I wanted to go see, I would make sure it was playing somewhere specific before I left the house.

balugadofis FOR MINECRAFTIA
12/13/12 5:45 pm

@pinky is it the extended versions or just normal and @zach me too!!!

balugadofis FOR MINECRAFTIA
12/13/12 5:44 pm

Red dawn was great

raywygo Pittsburgh
12/13/12 4:52 pm

I'm very picky about my movies.

12/13/12 3:27 pm

The last time I went THEN chose, I ended up seeing the Happening, strangely, in that movie nothing happened. I want my money and my 2.5 hours back!!!!! Damn you M. Night Shamalamalamalan!!!!!

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/13/12 3:11 pm

I love IMAX, but if it's hard on your eyes, see it in realD.

Lazis
12/13/12 2:52 pm

I usually plan to go see a movie at least a month in advance and then stalk times for it online. If me and my friends don't plan that much ahead we would never get anything done. We usually scramble to get everything planned hour before the movie anyway...

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
12/13/12 1:46 pm

See what movie theater is playing the movie I want to see and the times. Choose the best one for us. Sometimes a really crappy theater will have the best times so we'll adjust our schedule to the better theater.

dawl adulting
12/13/12 1:42 pm

Have you tried poynt? It will also tell you gas prices in your neighborhood, restaurants by cuisine, etc. love it!!

dawl adulting
12/13/12 1:40 pm

I didn't know I couldn't say sh*t on here! Sorry!!

dawl adulting
12/13/12 1:36 pm

Movies are too expensive to leave to chance. I have to know what I'm seeing and IMDB that shit lol.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/13/12 12:36 pm

I have to know what I'm gonna see, to coordinate with what my sister is gonna see, if it's earlier, later, etc,, after all she IS driving me..I miss driving :-[

MrChris80 California
12/13/12 12:29 pm

I miss doing that. Now with a kid, movies (w/ or w/o the kiddo) are planned. Gotta know when it starts, when it ends, coordinate babysitting, etc... Dont regret having him, he was planned, love him to death, but in general, dont have kids until you're ready yall!

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/13/12 11:49 am

I've gone then chosen a few times. Usually like those more because fewer expectations.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
12/13/12 11:39 am

Apparently it's more like 4% than 47% who have too much time on their hands and aren't contributing. And who has $10 a pop to waste on a surprise?

Kobejr Orlando, Fl
12/13/12 11:06 am

Choose and go definitely. I hate going there and when I get to the ticket booth I have no idea what I want to see.

dabrat East Coast
12/13/12 11:01 am

I'd be ok choosing once there but usually I know what I'm going to see. If its sold out then it becomes go an choose

AnnieM The Island
12/13/12 10:47 am

And naturally now the few times my husband and I go to movies we use Fandango to see the times and sometimes to buy our tickets ahead of time.

AnnieM The Island
12/13/12 10:46 am

Scanning the newspaper for movies we might all like to see together and at a time that didn't cause us to miss dinner or something.

AnnieM The Island
12/13/12 10:45 am

When I was a kid my mom used to take us to the theatre without even knowing what's playing. Because of that we (mom, brother and me) would usually end up seeing 3 different movies with 3 different start times and 3 different end times. I hated it. I much preferred sitting with my dad at the table…

dustbunny
12/13/12 10:39 am

Even when I decide to go to the movies out of the blue I always check the Flixter app to see what's playing and what times. It only takes a second and I don't have to stand in front of the ticket window with my mouth open trying to pick a movie.

lmurder MDK
12/13/12 9:57 am

Matinee to the movie I want to see.

gonk In a psychology textbook
12/13/12 9:45 am

I hate going to the theatre. I would rather do something else with my time. But when I get wrangled into going, haha, we always plan first.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/13/12 9:42 am

There are so few I might want to see at any given theater in any one timeframe that it would make no sense to me to go hoping to find something worth watching. I can see being on the way to something else, passing a theater showing something interesting, and deciding to see the movie instead.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/13/12 8:49 am

I have seen exactly one movie on a spur of the moment decision.

DavesNotHere where am I
12/13/12 8:39 am

With Flixter and Fandango, I always know what's playing and where and when. Great apps.

JanuaryLove
12/13/12 8:17 am

Exactly what I was about to say. :)

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
12/13/12 8:10 am

The Hobbit. Now should we see IMAX 3d or realD 3d? Imax is bigger but RealD is easier on the eyes.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/13/12 7:46 am

In my twenties, 'd go & choose, but if I went now, I'd definitely choose first.

cowboy Doors of Perception
12/13/12 7:15 am

I rented that one night. I never heard of it but it had Steve Carrel in it so I thought this will be pod for a laugh. I think I watch about an hour of it. Terrible movie.

SaucyRoss Boston
12/13/12 6:45 am

Choose then go. Or every show might be sold out except "Dan in Real Life" and you will waste 2 hours of your own real life. True story.

gonzoboy Arizona
12/13/12 6:30 am

I, "we", nearly always choose beforehand. However, most often, the decision over which movie is made while out for a meal. It's always something fun to discuss, and you'll end up spending less, if anything, at the snack bar!

CSGraham
12/13/12 6:09 am

Lincoln was pretty solid.