r3VOLution July 2nd, 2013 12:21am

Would a fine of $125 for a first offense deter you from texting while driving?

juiceman1601 Alton Il.
07/02/13 4:10 pm

That and how about a mandatory let's say 3-5 minutes video showing the violent and destructive results from police driving up to crash sites resulting from texting while driving.

dudley northern Virginia woods
07/01/13 8:48 pm

I never text anyway. Isn't anything that takes attention away from driving illegal. . .? I don't like laws that overlap other laws.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
07/01/13 8:37 pm

No law in MN that I'm aware of and I don't know it because its not smart.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/01/13 8:18 pm

I don't text & drive because nothing is so important it has to be communicated while I'm driving. Same w/chatting on the phone while driving. That's what voicemail is for & texts are recorded. I can check them when I'm no longer driving.

eLucidate writing
07/01/13 7:45 pm

It should be similar to a DUI. I don't think a small fine is going to do much.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/01/13 6:10 pm

How about death? Is death a good enough deterrent? No?

Kay41 the Midwest
07/01/13 6:23 pm

Perfectly said.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/01/13 5:35 pm

I think the fine needs to be a lot steeper. In general, I don't think speeding tickets really deter speeders. They just try harder not to get caught the next time. I know too many people with multiple tickets, so how would this be much different?

rich1010 Stem Cell Harvesting
07/01/13 6:02 pm

I agree, unless it's a large amount money is not a good deterrent. I think for many the loss of time hurts more, not jail time but some type of public service time with increasing hours for each offense. Also a point penalty like a speeding ticket.

Kay41 the Midwest
07/01/13 5:25 pm

I said yes but honestly never text while driving. I have been very strict about that especially since I need to practice what I preach to my sons.

guy_fawkes Failed System
07/01/13 5:24 pm

I think it should be a reckless driving charge with a 10 day jail sentence.....

r3VOLution not of this world
07/01/13 5:23 pm

A new law goes into effect in VA today that makes texting while driving a primary offense which means if police see you texting they can pull you over and fine you $125. 2nd time it's $250.

commonsense America isnt racist
07/01/13 5:34 pm

It's been on the books in California, and I still see texting. You can see the cars swerve, but not in a drunken way.