Show Of Hands November 11th, 2012 12:00am

Should Federal income taxes on families earning over $250,000 be increased beyond the current 33-35% rate?

jagger
11/18/12 8:23 pm

I'm very well off I have no problem with my taxes being raised. This country enabled me to make my money

11/18/12 8:53 am

debt increase by President
Reagan: 186%
Debt increased by H.W.Bush 54%
Debt increased by Clinton 41%
Debt increased by W.Bush 72%
Debt increased by Obama 23%

now who really spends too much?

badattitude no place like home
11/17/12 12:42 pm

I agree, no one seems to complain about sales tax being unfair. The rich guy spends a lot on a car or shirt and pays a lot of tax. The poor guy(me) pays a little for a car and a shirt and pays a little. We should pay our federal tax the same way. See Fairtax.org for more info.

badattitude no place like home
11/17/12 12:38 pm

I like the flat tax for its fairness. But I like the flat Fair Tax better. A flat sales tax for everyone, except the poor of course. They would have their sales tax pre funded. Check out fairtax.org for more info.

badattitude no place like home
11/17/12 12:35 pm

Wow, he's overspending slightly less. Are you serious. It's still overspending. How do you exist in the long run if you borrow 40 cents of every dollar you spend with no end in sight?

11/15/12 3:26 pm

The CRO report just came out like a week as ago. Get your facts straight.

11/15/12 9:12 am

Did you actually look at the report I posted. It's not old. It's more recent than the report you're referring to. You aren't stating facts. That report was notdiscredited.

11/14/12 9:17 pm

As of a long time ago. Every economist known to man.

Scalzi look you the Congressional Research Office Report on Tax Rates. They went and studied 60 years worth of rates. There findings state that there is no proof that lower taxes help the economy and no proof higher tax rates hurt the economy.

11/14/12 9:15 pm

Yeah is that why the deficit exploded under Reagan? Clinton raised taxes in the recession that he inherited from Bush 41. 20+ million jobs created. Surplus for 4 years straight

11/14/12 9:14 pm

Actually CaptainBS, Reagan raised taxes. Also the tax rate under Reagan was 50%. Much higher than it is now. Do you want to go back to the Reagan rates?

11/14/12 9:12 pm

CaptainBS actually MSNBC has gained in ratings. CNN has dropped and even Fox has dropped in ratings. Also Rachel Maddow out performs Sean Hannity. You want to know why Faux performs better? Because it's bunch of old people like you. Young people like me get our news from the Internet

11/14/12 9:11 pm

You have to realize I am not concerned about the number of people paying higher taxes. I am concerned about the amount of money that is being taken out of the economy. The more a person makes the more money that will be taken out of the economy when their percentage paid is increased.

11/14/12 9:09 pm

As of when? By who?

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:37 pm

And once the goal was reached we had unprecedented prosperity. Higher taxes is just a stupid idea and a left wing wet dream.

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:35 pm

Regan also LOWERED TAXES THUS STIMULATING THE ECONOMY LIBTARD!

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:34 pm

What the H33l economy are you talking about? Taxes hurt the economy by removing assets from the market place. Taxes can not under any circumstances help the economy. Besides the govt does not have a right to my $ or your $ either.

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:30 pm

Not lies. Truth. Libtards refuse to acknowledge truth. Where are YOUR FACTS?

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:28 pm

MSNBC is TRASH TV. No one watches it except dumb ass libtards that believe dummies like Chris (feeling up my leg)Mathews and Rachael "Butch" Maddow. The ratings of that so called network are pathetic. Even CNN has higher ratings. And yes. Fox consistently has the highest ratings every week. FACT

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
11/14/12 8:24 pm

"Socialist"?!?! Are you serious with that screen name?

mda2894 Lexington, KY
11/14/12 4:53 pm

You have to realize, this is only income OVER 250,000 that's being taxed at this rate. Most people pay much lower average tax rates.

11/14/12 2:35 pm

Higher tax rates do not hurt the economy. If they did why is every economist calling for higher tax rates. Also check out the study by the congressional research office that Republicans tried to hide

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/14/12 9:26 am

Socialist and progressivemass here. Shit getting real.

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
11/13/12 9:50 pm

I'm far too lazy to do too much research at the moment but I'd venture to say that that was a bubble.

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
11/13/12 9:47 pm

That is not definite it depends what the current rates are. Lower taxes help businesses to grow causing the amount of taxed money to go up increasing revenue usually above that of a higher tax rate and people get to keep more money, it's a win-win.

11/13/12 9:26 pm

Wow what an insightful comment. You sure showed me.

socialist Vermont
11/13/12 9:11 pm

scalzi you are one Dumb b!tch

carsons08
11/13/12 7:15 pm

It's impossible to find the intelligent comments for a question when all you see are the same 3-4 people arguing with each other incessantly. SOH might need a max # of comments users can post on a single thread.

11/13/12 6:29 pm

People tend to ignore that Clinton also cut capital gains taxes from 28% to 20% that as much as anything can account for the job growth. People were more willing to invest which helped businesses grow. When he lowered capital gains the revenue from the tax increased.

aph514
11/13/12 5:36 pm

...39% tax rate certainly didn't hinder economic growth, 22m new jobs, and brought us to record surpluses. No one is arguing that we need only to raise taxes without spending cuts.

aph514
11/13/12 5:34 pm

...markets, stronger markets bring consumer confidence, consumer confidence spurs investment. It was a republican, GHW Bush who coined the term voodoo Econ to describe this lower the rates to broaden the base phenomenon. He realized rates needed to be raised slightly and Clinton also proved that a..

aph514
11/13/12 5:31 pm

Scalzi, I'll have to give it you, I didn't go for Econ but I do have my degree in poli sci. There has been no evidence that a moderate tax hike hurts the economy. Raising revenue and cutting spending will bring us closer to deficit reduction, def reduction brings stability, stability strengthens...

11/13/12 4:19 pm

Ok I'll bite. I have been to school and studied Econ. If you really have the educational background to back up your claims then please explain how raising taxes will help the economy. How is what I wrote earlier about that money being taken from the economy wrong.

11/13/12 4:16 pm

No you are clearly off your rocker. Go back to school and learn some real facts

11/13/12 4:14 pm

Ok good talk but you are clearly off your rocker.

11/13/12 4:14 pm

Yeah I have. I 2 AP econ classes in high school and 3 in college.

11/13/12 4:13 pm

Most media is right leaning. This is a fact. And I never said Msnbc was not biased. I said that MSNBC was the only cooperate owned media that was right leaning. Big difference. All other cooperate own media is right wing republican media.

11/13/12 4:12 pm

Be honest. Have you ever read an Econ book or taken an Econ class? I doubt you're out of middle school.

11/13/12 4:11 pm

So where do you get your info? You are clearly crazy if you think MSNBC is unbiased media. And if you think most media is right leaning.

11/13/12 4:11 pm

Tax decreases kill the economy.

11/13/12 4:10 pm

You are the one with flawed logic. Read an economics book bone head

11/13/12 4:09 pm

Forbes is cooperate owned media. All cooperate owned media is right wing media. With the exception being MSNBC. Cooperate owned media is nothing but lies lies lies trying to push an agenda. Forbes falls in to that.

11/13/12 4:08 pm

You aren't even learning the facts. Your logic is flawed. Just because one thing happens and then another thing happens does not mean the first thing caused the other. You have to look at the details to see the real reason.

11/13/12 4:06 pm

Forbes is right wing media? It's not Fox News. Why don't you actually learn the facts. Clinton's real success came when he decreased capital gains tax from 28% to 20%. That dirty conservative. Helping those bloodthirsty corporations.

11/13/12 4:06 pm