DavesNotHere July 1st, 2013 5:31pm

The first official Atheists Monument has been dedicated in Florida. The atheists group who did this wants one in all 50 states. Do you agree with them or not?

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:03 pm

It's easy to explain the confusion. But, too hard to do in this format. 1 point- A group such as the American Atheists, FreeThinkers etc are not "religious" groups or wannabe "religions." Just as the Lions & Elks clubs aren't. Silly!

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:05 pm

Go back & read the story S l o w l y. There is more than one issue trying to be made. No "getting back" or "wanting 'their own religion, bible..." (real silly.)

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:09 pm

Take a breath & you'll see why some Atheists disagree w/other Atheists. They feel that allowing a religious monument on public property so a "non- religious" group could also have one isn't right.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:10 pm

If anything it lets a religious group skirt the law. Plus, two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, a Non- religious symbol is not bound by the separation of church & state. So, they could legally put one in the "FreeZone."

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:12 pm

You'll also see how this all started when an intolerant religious group their monument on public property & then fought to not take it down or simply move it to a private owned area.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:13 pm

No one was attacking any religion but standing up for federal & state law & local restrictions in effect in all 50 States. & some like minded atheists want to show that they too, are welcomed in society & that it's ok to hold non-religious beliefs.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:14 pm

They no longer have to be afraid or scared if what they believe or not, were to be known by "petulant," (your word) intolerant people. Just like many others have been, in America's past.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:15 pm

Atheists, Agnostics or any combo of both are the fastest growing group in America and in the wise words of Stuart Smalley, "We're Good Enough. We're Smart Enough & Doggone It, People Like Us!

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:17 pm

If you really want to dislike or be intolerant of a monument , you all may wish to band together against the Stonehedge like monument erected in Elbert County, Georgia by the Bilderberg Group.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:17 pm

They're a very secret & scary Society & possibly a big reason why our President's hair turns white so soon after entering office!
Bilderberg Monument a.k.a. Georgia Guidestones. Look it up & find out what is chiseled into the stones.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
07/01/13 5:21 pm

Anyway, the atheist group in FL. Want the FreeZone to one on commonality. Promoting ideas, people all Floridians can get behind such as their hero soldiers fallen & alive. Great things Florida is known for. Bring people together. Not promote religion

Keldeo Laverre City
07/01/13 4:33 pm

Just read that this was on government property. I hope there is a monument for every other religion there too.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/02/13 10:51 am

"Every other religion" .... Atheism is the lack or absence of religion, so that makes zero sense.

RyanOH Ohio
07/01/13 3:14 pm

If you don't believe in God, who are you erecting a moment for, yourselves? It's a bit of an ego trip then!

omniku dot com
07/01/13 4:26 pm

My guess is they're doing it for the tenets of atheism more for themselves.

Wert A picture of my Tit
07/01/13 4:43 pm

Monuments are sometimes for ideas or events. Not just people or gods.

christine1986
07/01/13 2:54 pm

I think it's a cool idea. One of the quotes is a little condescending which is unnecessary IMO. Kind of silly, but still cool.

steelcity Pittsburgh
07/01/13 2:42 pm

I don't care if they do it or not. I wouldn't oppose them even if I think their message is foolish.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/01/13 2:06 pm

As a religious person I wouldn't oppose, but I do question why.

Wert A picture of my Tit
07/01/13 1:41 pm

I'm an atheist and I don't see the point. It kind of goes against atheistic thinking, in my opinion.

Wert A picture of my Tit
07/01/13 1:43 pm

But if they want to, have at it. It shouldn't be on gov property or sanctioned by the gov, though.

dale41 Lets play two
07/01/13 1:46 pm

It should not matter if it is on government property due to the fact that American politics is supposed to be separation of church and state.

Wert A picture of my Tit
07/01/13 1:52 pm

Which is exactly why it should not be on government property. Or, let all faiths, religions, beliefs erect monuments on government property. Clearly, the later is impractical.

dale41 Lets play two
07/01/13 1:55 pm

That is a good point. It would be impractical.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 3:10 pm

It's in a "free speech zone" near a courthouse.

Right next to a monument with the ten commandments.

droo Santa Barbara
07/01/13 12:11 pm

Next they'll make the Ten Commandments of Atheism and the Atheist Bible and we'll also have an Atheist pope with Atheist cardinals. Atheism should never come off as some sort of religion, but this makes it one step closer to becoming exactly that.

Wert A picture of my Tit
07/01/13 1:55 pm

Agreed. I despise many modern atheists. They don't get it. They want to turn it into a religious institution. They just don't get it. That's why I despise the whole FSM thing. People are losing focus.

ishady 86451132020
07/01/13 2:44 pm

It's probably a reaction to the prevalence of religious practices in this country.

Sort of a knee jerk reaction. An attempt to spread the idea of atheism to more ppl.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/01/13 12:06 pm

They have the right to put the monument up, just like Christians have the right to put crosses, the nativity scene and other religious things up as well. I don't have a problem with it.

Wink
07/01/13 12:01 pm

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I could care less one way or the other.

EarlyBird Portland
07/01/13 12:04 pm

The only reason I care is because it goes against what we stand for. No wonder some people say it's a religion :-(

Wink
07/01/13 12:23 pm

I could see that, EB. I don't really know where I stand on religion, so that's why I said that.

sarahgc58
07/01/13 11:50 am

It doesn't make sense to me. Atheism is not a religion, but more like the lack of one. And what is the monument possibly of? As in what does it look like?

cfpianoman
07/01/13 11:21 am

Though I completely disagree with their metaphysical underpinnings, they have a right under the constitution to express their ideas in a public forum. I hope that they will show tolerance towards those of us who believe in intelligent design.

ishady 86451132020
07/01/13 11:20 am

It's no more silly than posting religious symbolism on other monuments.

Having said that I don't mind monuments honoring soldiers with religious quotes on them.
I realize its part of our traditions.

sunsweet Sweet yet blunt
07/01/13 11:12 am

They have the right to do what ever they want no matter how petulant they seem doing it :-)

DavesNotHere where am I
07/01/13 11:12 am

To me it's just a way to get back at the religious people who want the Ten Commandments in public places or crosses or whatever religion. They feel represented now.

commonsense a real hero among us
07/01/13 11:07 am

It's a black eye towards atheism. As it very immature.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 11:07 am

www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/318332/483/Atheist-monument-added-to-free-speech-zone-in-Starke

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 11:09 am

I see now this happened now. Somebody protested the monuments for the ten commandments, saying it amounted to a government endorsement of religion, and tried to get it removed but failed. During mediation they were told they could have their own ...

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 11:10 am

... monument. So that's what they did.

The whole thing is kind of hilarious. But the monument is a bit ridiculous, I've never heard of people raising monuments to their non-beliefs before.

TomM
07/01/13 11:07 am

Private property and privately funded they can do what they want. No tax payer money.
Agree with everyone who are confused what this is for.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/01/13 10:57 am

First Amendment, IMO, protects the right of those who reject any religious affiliation freedom of expression. I see no reason, as a believer to get my panties in a wad over their monument any more than I can appreciate unbeliever's issue w/mine.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/01/13 11:00 am

If they believe the 10 Commandments are unmitigated ignorance I fail to see how that is their problem. I defend their right to be foolish to the same degree I expect that consideration from them for what they define as foolishness.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 10:55 am

I'm gonna start an A-Santa-ist group for all of us who don't believe in Santa. We can meet up and talk about escaping the all-pervading influence of Santa Claus.

Maybe we'll even build a monument . . .

XercesBlue ...
07/01/13 10:53 am

I think they need to get over themselves. It's like having a straight pride parade - are you really that petty and insecure?

DavesNotHere where am I
07/01/13 11:08 am

I guess this was to be expected. They feel left out maybe?

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
07/01/13 10:52 am

These people are ridiculous. Did you see what the monument says? Really.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/01/13 10:49 am

I am a believer and have a great joy of it. But if the atheist want to erect their own monument that's fine just don't expect me to want to tear down a cross because someone in Wisconsin is offended there is a cross in Coos Bay.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/01/13 11:27 am

This actually happened in CoosBay. There is a cross erected for and by Vietnam veterans. Jewish and Islamic plaques are next to it. A tourist from Wisconsin is making this a federal case wanting to cross to be removed because they were offended.

tmacsurprise no pictures just numbers
07/01/13 10:41 am

They have a right to have such. Just as religious groups have a right.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/01/13 10:39 am

What exactly is it? A monument to famous atheists or a monument to atheism?

I would take issue were it the latter. That defies the fundamental concept of atheism.

DavesNotHere where am I
07/01/13 11:10 am

From what I saw on TV, it's a white stone block with an 'A' logo on top. Nothing spectacular, but its there.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/01/13 11:20 am

Stupid. Simply a waste of money.

rlands
07/01/13 10:39 am

It's confusing...many atheists I've spoken to insist that atheism itself is not a religion. This is making it seem more and more like one...

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 10:41 am

No kidding. I'm confused about the atheist group as well? What's that about?

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
07/01/13 10:43 am

⬆ Atheist who is equally confused....

rlands
07/01/13 10:44 am

Yeah after reading all your comments from yesterday Jen, I'm just like what...

EarlyBird Portland
07/01/13 12:01 pm

Why in the world are they doing that?! It goes against what we stand for!

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 10:39 am

As someone who is not religious at all, I have to wonder, what on earth is that for?

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 10:34 am

What the hell is an "atheists' monument"? Where is it located? I assume private property.

fredd TrumpLand
07/01/13 11:03 am

Just googled and it's actually on public land just outside a courthouse. Right next to a monument with the ten commandments.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
07/01/13 10:32 am

Woot. I still see no need for a monument, but it's not a bad thing.