Show Of Hands August 18th, 2011 12:00am

Should the federal government be doing more, or doing less? (UserQ)

3picTyler Florida
08/27/11 8:35 pm

yea politicians should stop the speech crap and start doing market and economic work. T out.....

08/26/11 2:59 pm

We've gotten to the point where everyone expects some sort of handout from the government. I think government programs should be a lot more limited, who knows, we might actually get off our asses and do something our selves.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
08/26/11 1:14 am

I volunteered at our local homeless shelter and with our church, and am still doing pro Bono consulting with a charity group.

@Megaditto: 1st in nearly 25 years I haven't had a job. Do you think I earned 6 mos of help?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
08/26/11 1:11 am

2 full time jobs at minimum wage pays less than unemployment. Very hard to swallow pride and get in line, but we would have been facing losing our home, and this at least covered about half our mortgage. It's VERY easy, too easy to throw stones when you're successful, much harder to wear the shoes.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
08/26/11 1:08 am

Esummer: it saved mine. My company laid off 30% of their workforce, and I was among the crowd. It took me 5 months to find a new gig. To unemployment in perspective, I went from making $12k/month to $860. I actually considered mcD's, but take home would have been less than half. The scary thing is:

valeriejo ramble on
08/25/11 7:27 am

..in strict regulations on unemployment/welfare etc, but when you get laid off through no fault of your own, and are all of a sudden unable to make ends meet, it can save a family from losing their home.

valeriejo ramble on
08/25/11 7:25 am

@megadittos: I don't know if you'll ever see this but how the hell is someone supposed to support their family off of a mcdonalds salary? You have obv never had to worry about how your going to keep a roof over your family's head bc if you had, you wouldn't be saying that. And I'm a firm believer..

BobC
08/22/11 9:51 pm

The Govt has their hand in too much now. That is the problem with this country.

mo Washington
08/22/11 9:41 pm

My state is so stupid gosh... Whole bunch of democrats crammed into 3 counties...

vance Texas
08/22/11 4:53 pm

Way to go megadittoes! Damn straight!

08/21/11 1:54 pm

Whoa megadittos is super mean. Why dont you go take a lude?

08/21/11 1:53 pm

As of now, more. Because this sucks. When things get better, then back off and let things get back to normal.

giottoblue Connecticut
08/20/11 10:32 pm

less done=less money spent=less debt

FrankZappa New York
08/20/11 1:58 pm

"People think campaigns are about two competing answers to the same question. They're not. They're a fight over the question itself."
-Josh Lyman
The West Wing, S07E02, "The Mommy Problem"

nia18 New Jersey
08/20/11 1:41 pm

I think the government should stop hiding things from us

08/20/11 9:39 am

Being homeless would have given you incentive to get off your ass and find work faster. You whiny little democrat bitches and your tales of "whoa me". FU

08/20/11 9:37 am

Six months to find a job? You piece of crap. How'd you like living off someone else's money? Obviously you're too good to work at McDonalds but you're just fine taking money for nothing. I swear, you pathetic losers make me sick!!!!!!

08/20/11 8:23 am

If Warren Buffet thinks the Feds deserve more of his money then he ought to cut them a check. The Treasury Department accepts donations all year long. The reason Buffets taxes are so low is bc he makes his money on capital gains, not his salary. Long term capital gains is taxed at 15%

commie42 New Jersey
08/19/11 10:56 pm

Punchy57, none of our government would be a problem if we couldn't vote AT ALL.

08/19/11 10:46 pm

Way more. Where are the public works projects of the last depression. I want to see high speed trains and green energy.

mcdkm Houston
08/19/11 7:21 pm

Soitgoes, 6 months is one thing but there are people riding the gravy train for two years and don't intend to do anything about it. Handy, define super rich. 250K a year is not rich. it is a married couple who worked hard to get a decent job.

Handy
08/19/11 4:26 pm

I answered LESS, as in, less coddling of the super rich. Thanks Warren Buffet.

Soitgoes Missouri
08/19/11 10:29 am

Megadittos, it took me six months to find a job and I would've been homeless without employment. Even tho the system can be manipulated, it still important for those willing and able who get laid off, especially in this economy.

Punchy57 Michigan
08/19/11 6:55 am

I agree with JmJohnson by the way! You should not be allowed to vote in federal elections, if you do not pay federal taxes.

Punchy57 Michigan
08/19/11 6:50 am

Wow, what a great question! You can see the major divide in the political parties. Dem's want the government involved in everything, while Rep's want less control from the government.

Overmind Texas
08/19/11 5:59 am

Veritas, your fuse is a little to short

08/19/11 3:36 am

Right now, the federal government is paying record levels of unemployment and food stamps. According to democrats, nothing stimulates the economy more than these welfare programs. LOL Happy days are here again!!!

08/19/11 2:44 am

Since when is it the government's job to pay people not to work? Madness and stupidity!

Ranks New Jersey
08/18/11 10:32 pm

I feel the government could do more in certain areas but they also could have less of multiple agencies tripping over one another. More simplification more efficiency. Less complacency less bureaucracy. No room for growth when we can barely "keep up with the weeds in our own garden".

Gunfighter
08/18/11 10:08 pm

The only thing the government should do is get rid of the debt. Anything else can wait.

gary Minnesota
08/18/11 9:51 pm

they obviously aren't doing much of anything.

Sporter80 Oklahoma
08/18/11 9:39 pm

I'm a believer in Laizes-Faire, but I think the government needs to do more to get us out of this debt problem. I mean, it's a team effort, but when the majority of the money is on their side of the court, they have a bigger impact. We need some honest and educated people in our government.

GoingGalt
08/18/11 9:35 pm

Do really think gov is involved in anything for the public good. Follow the money. Free the markets by letting it be a free market. Gov is trying to force products nobody wants to inspire commerce. Doesn't work that way. Never has.

08/18/11 9:28 pm

Wow veritas you were completely right for a change! Lol. But the problem is the economy is more likely to improve with less interference. Simple economics.

08/18/11 8:30 pm

it's all good veritas we know you still hate our guts!

veritas… Texas
08/18/11 8:22 pm

@jopat and O'13. Lol. Is it so hard to believe I have some common sense somewhere in that liberal, socialist, Marxist, America-hating, commie brain of mine?

@O'13 Did I do a good enough job of ruining the moment? I hope so. I can't have people AGREEING with me. That's barbaric! Lol.

08/18/11 7:59 pm

they got Mickey d's by the short hairs and won't let them sale your kid a happy meal with a toy, hey it's a start!

08/18/11 7:58 pm

schroman; the government needs to get back to protecting the citizens, building roads, public safety and stay the heck out of our lives. maybe if you don't live in San Francisco you should consider a short move. cont

dewberhead California
08/18/11 7:37 pm

The government needs to do more to control the rise of plutocracy in America that has been created by big business.

redebbm 91709
08/18/11 7:26 pm

If you think the federal government has been doing "too much" you need to look out your bubble and realize the crisis we are in.

O13 Alabama
08/18/11 7:21 pm

Wait... I'm expecting you to say something that will totally ruin the moment....

O13 Alabama
08/18/11 7:19 pm

@veritas... : Wait, which veritas is this? The first, 2nd, or 3rd one? It can't be the one I completely disagree with on everything? This is odd! For once we agree on something. Maybe one of us remembered to take our med's or something.

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
08/18/11 5:48 pm

they should do more tax cutting and less spending.