TerryQuinn July 1st, 2013 2:37pm

You just paid $1,000 to fix a car. If the car is still broken, does the mechanic owe you a refund or are you out of luck because no one can guarantee that something is going to fix a car?

jmw7477 Indiana
07/01/13 10:48 am

It's their job to know what's wrong with the vehicle. My husband does appliance repair. If they misdiagnose something, then they either refund the money or have another tech rediagnose it & fix it (without further cost).

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
07/01/13 10:05 am

Refund. Hold those bastards accountable.

TerryQuinn Stardust
07/01/13 10:12 am

Hmm...I know how easy it is to think the problem is X only to find out it was Y. When you pay to have X fixed, you take a risk the mechanic is wrong about the root problem. If the mechanic should've know better, then you don't go back.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
07/01/13 10:37 am

Coming from a family of mechanics, machine head friends etc... I feel that they should be willing to back their work up.

MrsOH Washington state
07/01/13 8:37 am

Not a refund, but he needs to find out what he didn't fix and make it right. If it needed one more part replaced, I would expect to pay for the part, but not the labor, unless the one malfunction masked another.

TerryQuinn Stardust
07/01/13 10:07 am

Yep, that's what he's doing now. Just hope this works and not an even bigger more expensive fix. If it is, maybe he can give me a deal on something else (new tires?) instead of a refund.

TerryQuinn Stardust
07/01/13 7:59 am

The mechanic is taking another shot at fixing for no charge. I'm wondering what to do if he can't fix it or its cost more $. In that case, I'm thinking that they should give a partial refund. I'm OK with paying them for trying but not a $1,000.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
07/01/13 8:39 am

Does what they did work? Like if they replaced the clutch - is the car shifting correctly? What they fixed may have been broken AND may not be the only thing wrong with the car

TerryQuinn Stardust
07/01/13 10:04 am

Car overheated. Replaced water pump. Overheated again. He correctly replaced the water pump but the car can't run (yet). If its much more $$ to fix, I would've put money towards new car, but I can't blame him for not seeing its a bigger issue.

XercesBlue ...
07/01/13 7:45 am

I would go talk to them about it. Being unfamiliar with cars and being a woman, they don't tend to believe what I say is wrong. I've had them send me home without fixing the problem, but usually explain to a guy friend what is wrong and have them

XercesBlue ...
07/01/13 7:47 am

Go with me and explain to the mechanic what is up. If the problem persists, I usually try to sucker a guy friend or my dad into talking about it. I'm the type who will walk away with nothing to show because I don't feel comfortable standing up for my