rebelfury76 July 1st, 2013 9:47am

Which system of measurement makes more sense: standard or metric?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/01/13 2:32 pm

Metric is simpler, by virtue of being based on subdivisions of tens.
That said, I love my standard units and metric can suck it!

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
07/01/13 1:21 pm

"Standard" is much easier for me since that is what I learned and continue to use; but metric makes more sense from a global perspective. It would make conversion within the metric system much easier; certainly easier from inches to yards.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
07/01/13 11:00 am

Not even the British use their imperial measurement system anymore, just the U.S. and Myanmar!

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 3:40 pm

And Liberia.

curly
07/01/13 7:12 am

In our modern age, definitely metric. But I can see how standard units would've been easier a couple hundred years ago. Everyone's got feet!

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
07/01/13 7:05 am

I can use either one, but metric is easier for me.

TomM
07/01/13 6:59 am

Metric is made to be easy to calculate. 1 cubic meter = 1000 liter = 1 metric ton of water.

TomM
07/01/13 6:51 am

How can anyone think there's any logic to the US standards? It's as convoluted as the tax code.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
07/01/13 8:38 am

The standard method is far, far older than metric. If I remember correctly without looking it up, metric came into use in the 1800's. Standard has been in use for much longer.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
07/01/13 5:44 am

Metric is great for high school math problems, but not so much for the real world application.
Standard united are infinitely more useful and easier to work with in advanced applications, especially when derived units are involved.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot cult
07/01/13 6:33 am

Makes ya wonder how anything gets done in the rest of the world, doesn't it.

bjett San Francisco
07/01/13 6:45 am

Advanced applications? The entire science community in the world uses metric. Those are advanced applications.

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 3:42 pm

What "advanced applications" use standard units?

I live in the science world, where metric rules. I use mostly the standard system at home, but not with any advanced applications.

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 2:58 am

They make sense in different ways. The standard system has basic units that correspond (roughly) to parts of the body & other physical characteristics (e.g., 1" = width of a man's thumb), so they are relatively easy to relate to - but of course...

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 3:06 am

...their divisions make calculations a little complicated. Metric solves the calculation problem by using a decimal system, & consistent prefix nomenclature across types of measurement, but the base units aren't as relatable to body measurements.

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 3:08 am

Overall I think the metric system makes more sense for usability, is easier to learn & utilize.

Nizabelle Cambridge, MA
07/01/13 3:11 am

I can't remember how it goes but there was a joke about how smoking pot had the added benefit of having taught an entire generation of Americans all about the metric system