brisket July 1st, 2013 2:07am

Have you ever removed a friend from a social network because of political differences?

fruitsmoothie45
07/02/13 11:23 pm

All the people remarking on the higher percentage of Democrats who said yes... Did you ever think that maybe that statistic is a reflection of Republicans' tendency to say things worth blocking more often?

fruitsmoothie45
07/02/13 11:26 pm

For instance, I've had Republican Facebook friends who made comments like "gay people deserve to die". I am gay. I blocked those people in the interest of my own safety.

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
07/02/13 7:46 pm

No. I don't friend them in the first place. :)

Octopus
07/02/13 3:10 pm

Not a "friend", but some random person I didn't really know who posted so many things I found awful on a daily basis.

kaysee712
07/02/13 10:44 am

I had a friend who said "if you are stupid enough to be pro choice then delete me right now!" So I deleted him.

Rotavele Alabama
07/02/13 9:42 am

I sacrificed my democrat friend to Jesus

gatsbyxxv
07/02/13 9:04 am

Not so much removed as blocked because of philosophical differences or mean-spirited comments.

pcox104 Florida
07/02/13 8:55 am

Luckily most of my fb friends came from school and are somewhat decent and educated about expressing their opinion. I have deleted emotional people and ugly people in real life.

Scrazzle Winter is Coming
07/02/13 4:45 am

I use social media to keep up with friends. I don't like it when they use it as a soap box. Don't care what their political views are as long as they aren't posting those made up anecdotes and stories as propaganda.

Laurie2133 Rural Southwest
07/02/13 12:28 am

As far as politics, I know what I believe and I'm not afraid of reading someone else's views. I may think they are dead wrong and an idiot politically, and that's my right, but I've never delegated anyone because of politics.

Laurie2133 Rural Southwest
07/02/13 12:25 am

Not because of political issues but because of lifestyle issues. I don't want to see half naked/naked people! I was a cop, and some things friends and I post upset a sensitive friend and she wanted people to not post about certain things. I deleted.

leilu SoCal
07/01/13 11:23 pm

A 'friend' that would spout her politics but was intolerant of others. I deleted her in response to her post that said something along these lines,"I can't believe the intolerance of Joe Schmo, I've deleted him as a friend"

isaac_kleiner
07/01/13 11:06 pm

I mostly just bust out the popcorn and watch the shitstorms unfold in their comments. It's great fun!

lesil Colorado
07/01/13 10:57 pm

No, but I have removed one that posted emotional,

lesil Colorado
07/01/13 10:57 pm

(Sorry, pressed submit) she posted constant emotional status

fettuchini Not in a free state
07/01/13 10:49 pm

Never removed one, but I have unsubscribed to many friends on Facebook. I don't constantly spew my political opinions because I don't care about theirs. If anyone gets too preachy I'll unsubscribe.

harkness Bayside
07/01/13 9:02 pm

I've never done it to anyone, but I had it done to me. All I did was like a page on Facebook, and she hasn't talked to me since. Triflin slor.

Ivyra Earth
07/01/13 8:59 pm

No, my friends and I may have differing opinions on a number of subjects, but I do love them.

vette
07/01/13 8:53 pm

Yes. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but at some point it becomes too much. When that becomes the focus of everything they post....goodbye.

flyonthewall Oklahoma
07/01/13 8:28 pm

Only when they will not shut up about their beliefs and mention them in every status update. And most importantly, when they constantly put down and berate others who have different viewpoints.

musiman28 Cotton country
07/01/13 7:58 pm

No, but I have been dropped as a friend myself, I guess for those reasons.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
07/01/13 6:11 pm

Nope, but I just got blocked by a troll on one of my favorite pages!

:D

Moon Iowa
07/01/13 3:56 pm

I'm from a small town in Iowa. 70% Republican and I'm a democrat. I receive death threats monthly on social networks, so yes I had to.

paidert1 Columbus, Ohio
07/01/13 2:08 pm

I guess it depends on definition of friend. Casual acquaintance - yes. Real friend - no.

vecellio Fishers, IN
07/01/13 11:56 am

No- but I've hid people that just go on and on. LOL!

lawstudent Western NC foothills
07/01/13 11:47 am

Nope but plenty of my conservative friends and family have removed this vegetarian liberal hippie.

koozi47 Texas
07/01/13 2:02 pm

To hell with those vegetarian hippies eating all the white mans grass...

floridaboy94 Central Florida
07/01/13 10:20 am

I follow comedians, so why not follow Democrats.

jchristianreed South Carolina
07/01/13 10:19 am

I have many friends with conflicting political ideas. But I only delete them when they become hateful or obnoxious about it.

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
07/01/13 9:55 am

I haven't, but my open minded liberal friend removes anyone who doesn't agree with him. He doesn't see how close minded that is either....

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
07/01/13 12:33 pm

you haven't been on Facebook until you've been unfriended <g>

dudley northern Virginia woods
07/01/13 8:08 am

How did they get to be a friend in the first place? Maybe they will eventually see the light. Anyway, I hardly ever use "social media" . Just to look at photos and read clever posters.

amyaub
07/01/13 8:05 am

I have, but it turns out they weren't a friend in the first place.

scoredflea
07/01/13 8:02 am

It wasn't they're differences, it was they're constant posts about it.

ant711
07/01/13 7:52 am

I have only because they started to personally attack me because they knew how strongly I felt on the issue (they started the argument). I'm pro gay and pro choice, but I don't shove it down their throats like they do mine. That pisses me off most.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
07/01/13 7:45 am

I removed my cousin because of her rabidly anti-gay posts. Still invited her to my wedding and have communicated with her through other means, because it's just Facebook.

amyaub
07/01/13 8:07 am

People forget that Facebook is just Facebook. It's like high school for adults. If they are real friends, you'll still get along in real life.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
07/01/13 7:05 am

Democrats, what's wrong with you? I like to keep an open mind when it comes to other's opinion, unlike some people. I've been blocked by people because I told them they were closeminded. I know people are not always going to agree with me and that's the beauty of this country, the difference of

Skyrim nobody
07/01/13 8:00 am

Yes, you are right. I respect everyone's opinions... However, I don't appreciate you making generalizations about a whole group of people based on a poll.
There are intolerant and close-minded people in every political group.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
07/01/13 12:44 pm

exactly. I was referring to the poll. Not a generalization. I know quite a few open minded Democrats. And one or two open minded Republicans believe it or not.

carped1em seize the day
07/01/13 6:32 am

They were more radical than RandFan.

cathyro Long Beach,Ca
07/01/13 6:25 am

I have lots of friends with political viewpoint differences but only one who became so difficult that I had to "unfriendly" him. I was sad to do it, but it had gotten profanity-laden and ridiculous.

kingshark Northwest Arkansas
07/01/13 6:18 am

I removed a friend over political intolerance. I said "Guys, we have a president" last November. Which was me stating the obvious. I don't show who I support on Facebook. He commented stating, "No, we have a moron" unfriend

Sacnerd Sacramento
07/01/13 7:32 am

well, in that case, you are both right. :)

kingshark Northwest Arkansas
07/01/13 11:51 am

I'm also quite stingy with my Facebook friends. He had done more things that bothered me other than political things before that. It was just the last straw.

s4mm1 MD SLP
07/01/13 5:53 am

Yes, only because I was harassed about it. I actually got death threats as well over it. Democrats can be extremely intolerant sometimes. Not saying Republicans can't.

july475
07/01/13 5:40 am

I haven't removed but hidden them...I don't care if people have a different view but I can't deal with constant political anger and propaganda

Wink
07/01/13 5:16 am

No, but I have "hidden" them.

jvberg Winter has Come
07/01/13 5:10 am

mostly because that's all that ever posted and it just got annoying seeing politics non stop

snacks East Bumfart
07/01/13 4:53 am

It's called tolerance & freedom of speech

Something your govt wants to take away from us.

F U. OBAMA

Evseng2
07/01/13 8:05 am

NOWHERE have I seen the government try to take away our first amendment rights.
It would be F U GOVERNMENT. Not just Obama's fault.

Btw: this has NOTHING to do with politics..

Evseng2
07/01/13 8:06 am

Or let me rephrase.. Nothing to do with that side of politics..

katiee78 city
07/01/13 4:53 am

No, but this fall was hard for me. Being a democrat and auburn fan in the state of Alabama, you learn to bite your tongue a lot. I guess I only share my political opinions with very close friends...or complete strangers.

dahawwl Texas
07/01/13 4:52 am

No, but a few have threatened to unfriend me.

MericaRules
07/01/13 3:40 am

It's interesting how the dems. Who say they are the tolerant party, have a higher block percentage than the reps. Just saying lol.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
07/01/13 3:35 am

No, not because of their position or opinion, in & of itself. Have shutdown/muted/blocked/etc ppl who were hostile, condescending, hateful &/or consistently disrespectful - regardless politics - several times. Sure I will again.

connor102 Washington State
07/01/13 1:42 am

I don't mind it every once in a while, but really? It's the same people EVERY day! Half the stuff they post is untrue as well!

centexken Republic of Texas
07/01/13 12:54 am

No, but an Obama supporter removed me after I strongly disagreed with her stupid friends after that Kenyan got reelected. Seems like the socialists cannot stand to have someone point out their errors.

susanr Colorado
07/01/13 1:10 am

Might have something to do with the manner in which it's done. Especially if this comment is an example of that.

centexken Republic of Texas
07/01/13 1:14 am

They were extremely anti-Republican so I responded in kind. Fight fire with fire.

Diknak Ohio
07/01/13 6:37 am

Sorry, but "that Kenyan" comment shows that it might have been warranted. I didn't vote for Obama either time, but singling out his heritage like that doesn't portray you in a positive light and makes anything else you say fall on deaf ears.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot base
07/01/13 12:48 am

No but I've been on the receiving end. And we lived together at the time! Hahaha.

She couldn't never justify her left wing statist views on my posts. Typical democrat spew though.

Brrrrrrrrr
07/01/13 1:29 am

The text in this post is super big on my screen, and half of it missing.