Cruz2016 June 30th, 2013 10:35pm

How many of you would like it if your state's Representatives were members of the SoH community and available for debates?

Jungle in the dog house
06/30/13 7:36 pm

If they are here they're not coming out.

2katz I live in Nebraska
06/30/13 4:28 pm

Yeah good luck getting Adrian Smith to respond in anything other than canned phrases. Deb Fischer might do it though.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:41 pm

I'd like to ask Sen Rubio a few questions myself

susanr Colorado
06/30/13 4:14 pm

I can't imagine that it would be a productive discussion.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:21 pm

That would depend on what you deem productive I'd think

susanr Colorado
06/30/13 4:32 pm

True. But if it's anything like the usual political discussions around here, I just foresee a mess. Why would people be respectful & thoughtful in discussion with a politician (esp. one they may hate) when we aren't like that with each other...

susanr Colorado
06/30/13 4:32 pm

..whom we presumably don't even hate.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:40 pm

That brings me to another idea, why can't we block specific users instead of just using the ignore button?

susanr Colorado
06/30/13 4:52 pm

You mean block their comments? The commenting system used here couldn't tolerate that - there'd be gaps in the threads it doesn't know how to fix. Tony says that's why we can't have a delete button, anyway.

Or block them from following you?

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:58 pm

Block them from following me altogether. Just like FB.

susanr Colorado
06/30/13 5:14 pm

I don't think Tony's ruled out blocking followers some time in the future - that is, I don't remember him saying so. I don't think I'd ask about it right now, though.
=:-)
Not seeing their comments in other polls is different; can't work currently.

TomM
06/30/13 3:59 pm

Cool idea for us, but I cannot imagine being the Representative.
Consider one of them asking how to vote on the immigration reform or some other contentious issue. SoH servers would crash.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:05 pm

Lol, true. I wouldn't imagine they'd do something like that. Maybe just weigh in on a poll that speaks to their base constituents.

TomM
06/30/13 4:22 pm

I know, just thought it was funny :-)
It could be cool if my DE representative or other local politicians could ask location based polls which showed up based on zip code.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 3:53 pm

Where's Tony when I really want one of my polls featured, lol?

AnnaRose Texas
06/30/13 3:51 pm

They might be able to explain things at least a little bit better than the news could.

TomM
06/30/13 4:25 pm

True, they may enjoy getting their message out. My fear from their point of view would be, they could quickly drown in responses.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/30/13 3:42 pm

Cool idea. My representatives in my state legislature are on FB & are wonderful about asking for opinions & answering questions. It would be cool to have similar access to those in DC.

rlands
06/30/13 3:39 pm

As interesting as we might think it'd be, they wouldn't be able to give definite answers. They have to be very careful about everything they say. We might get a "yes, I support marriage equality" but that's about it.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 3:51 pm

Still think it'd be nice to get our thoughts to them

rlands
06/30/13 3:58 pm

True. It's possible. But also them consuming, and they are full time congressmen...

rlands
06/30/13 3:59 pm

*time consuming. Their schedules are jam packed as it is.

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 4:03 pm

Lol, if I poured you a glass of water and stopped at the half way mark, what would you call that??? ;)

rlands
06/30/13 4:05 pm

Hahaha half full I promise! It's just that this case requires realistic thinking. Would it be nice? Yeah, if they had actual answers for us and if they had time :)

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
06/30/13 4:50 pm

Rand - you can get your ideas to them any time you want. Just write them a letter. I've done it about a half dozen times in the last 10 years when I felt really passionate about things. Four times I've gotten form letters, but at least someone

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
06/30/13 4:52 pm

Someone saw my comments. Twice I've gotten personalized letters - letters that actually talked specifically about the things in my letter. One was an apology for comments made in an editorial about my profession. The other way a thank you

rlands
06/30/13 4:54 pm

Yeah. They do have them read, and most congressmen read them themselves. If you really want answers, just go visit their office. It's super easy for me, but if you visit their district offices (making sure they're there) that's good too.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
06/30/13 5:04 pm

Rand I've emailed to - but I don't get the same kind of results. I seem to get more response from real letter - probably because they get less if then

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
06/30/13 5:06 pm

I'll try that then :)

I've received a few auto replies but they are usually followed by a reply from the Rep. A few were replies by aids but that was only 2 or 3 times.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
06/30/13 3:39 pm

Awesome - but I'm not sure Mr LaMalfa knows how to use a smart phone

Cruz2016 Rum Bum Beach City
07/01/13 9:13 pm

I need your help on a future poll plz :). Out of these two men and two women, which would you like to see run for vp in 2016? (One man and one woman)
Andrew Cuomo vs Julian Castro