GrandmaALiCE August 17th, 2016 10:28am

On the Ohio Turnpike, a truck driver did not slow down for construction. He hit 9 cars, killed a girl and injured several people. The accident closed the highway for two hours. What's a suitable punishment? I would like input from @cowboy on this.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
08/18/16 5:54 am

Vehicular manslaughter

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/17/16 10:26 pm

How sad. I would have to know why he didn't slow down before I could decide on a fair punishment. It could be anything from no punishment if there was a medical problem like a TIA or mechanical problem with the truck's brakes to a very stiff sentence if he willfully drove into the other vehicles. I'd sure hate to have to live with that on my conscience.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/18/16 5:58 am

Yes, very sad!

He was charged, so I assume they did not find any of those extenuating circumstances.

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/17/16 5:09 pm

2nd degree murder. Intent to assault without intent to kill. 3rd degree is manslaughter. I know I said 2nd degree because I feel he being extremely neglectful had intent to cause damage. It's the same as texting and driving or even DUI for that matter. It's my opinion and I'll stick to it.

Centre Seattle Centrist
08/17/16 3:03 pm

Vehicular manslaughter

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/17/16 1:26 pm

Whatever is customary for vehicular homicide in the state, probably ten to fifteen years in prison. Assuming the driver was not on the phone, drunk, high, driving overtime, overweight vehicle, etc. Any aggravating factors should increase the minimum sentence.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
08/17/16 1:23 pm

That would depend on what the investigation finds. Did he have a stroke, heart attack, or seizure? Was he texting? Was he out of hours - driving more hours than is legal at one time? Was he drinking or on drugs? Was there a mechanical malfunction? If it was his fault, he should be charged with manslaughter.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 4:17 pm

I'm really curious about those other factors (drunk, texting, etc.) He has been charged, so I presume there was no mechanical malfunction.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
08/17/16 6:07 pm

It is such a tragedy for the child's family.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 6:15 pm

That's the worst part, for sure!

BigPhatPastor Jefferson Hills, PA
08/17/16 12:57 pm

The applicable fines and fees associated with each incidence and the legal charges associated with each incidence for both cars and human casualies.

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
08/17/16 12:49 pm

Death by Dangerous Driving and Driving without due care and attention

Isomax TIC TOC
08/17/16 10:03 am

9 counts of aggravated homicide

Isomax TIC TOC
08/17/16 10:04 am

Oops read it wrong . I thought he killed nine people. My mistake.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
08/17/16 10:21 am

You could charge it as attempted

Isomax TIC TOC
08/17/16 10:23 am

Very true. Thanks for making me look half smart lol

Isomax TIC TOC
08/17/16 10:26 am

When you start blowing through a work or safety zone the price goes up dramatically .

Senate101 San Diego
08/17/16 9:26 am

Killed a girl? Well, this is what would happen if he were from California:

For vehicular manslaughter, up to six years in prison and at least a three year revocation of driver's license.

If any of those workers were badly mutilated, up to eight years in prison for mayhem.

Since he presumably did not stop at the scene of the crime after hitting one person, a fine of up to $10,000 and a prison sentence up to 4 years.

Up to one year in prison and a fine of $1,000 if he evaded a peace officer in doing so.

There's probably more, but reasonably he's looking at 19 years in prison, $11,000, and a three year revocation of license.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 4:12 pm

Just to clarify what happened ... The people he injured were in cars, not the road construction crew. He hit 9 cars! It was probably a chain reaction accident, although the article doesn't make that clear.

asia
08/17/16 7:47 am

Many years in prison. And even more years if he was intoxicated.

ronderman North Carolina
08/17/16 7:20 am

Negligent homicide.

political Georgia
08/17/16 7:07 am

Typically, manslaughter - That's without knowing a lot of the details. The truck company could pay a lot of legal bills, especially if the truck driver was above his allowed federally allotted hours on the road.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
08/17/16 6:59 am

2nd degree murder.
Attempted murder.
Reckless endangerment.

shygal47 Florida east coast
08/17/16 7:02 am

And make him work on a road construction crew (without pay) for 2 years so he learns what it's like to dodge a 4 or 5 thousand pound vehicle.

snozwaffer Dove Canyon, CA
08/17/16 11:11 am

A semi stripped is about 11 tons and are allowed to be up to 45 tons load without further modifications and permits.

shygal47 Florida east coast
08/17/16 11:19 am

OK - so make him work the road crew every even year for 20 years. By the time he has to go for his last sentence he'll be shaking in his boots.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 4:11 pm

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 6:30 am

A similar situation just happened on I-80 in Illinois. A truck slammed into stopped traffic in a construction zone and killed two people. What is likely to happen is that whatever trucking company that hired this idiot is going to go bankrupt from the lawsuits and the fines from the DOT once they start looking at their books. As far as the driver himself, he should be locked up for manslaughter and if he ever gets out, never hold a driver's license again.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 6:53 am

fox8.com/2016/08/15/semi-driver-charged-in-ohio-turnpike-crash-that-killed-child-hurt-7-others/
He's been charged. The dumbass was in the far left lane for whatever reason. Trucks aren't allow in that lane to begin with. His picture looks like he's cross eyed... I'm guessing his boss and/or company will face multiple fines and/or charges.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 4:07 pm

Thanks for your insight, cowboy. Why aren't trucks supposed to drive in the left lane? I'm just curious.

Also, did his being in the left lane contribute to the accident? Or was it just that he was driving too fast and not paying attention?

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 4:54 pm

You're welcome! I'm always glad to help. On the Ohio turnpike and most three lane interstate hi-ways, trucks are restricted from the left lane. Next time you're on one pay attention to the signs. Being caught results in a huge fine for the commercial driver.
I have no doubt that he was in a hurry since he risked being in that lane but I don't know exactly why he slammed into those cars.
I can speculate by saying
1. If he was short on driving hours on his electronic logs, which will shut the truck down if he goes past the driving time, was maybe the cause. Or...
2. Still runs paper logs and was pressured by the company to make the delivery.
1a. If it was reputable company, he could've just called in to his dispatcher and said he was going to be late and there would be nothing they can do because that's the law.
2a. His dispatcher told him to get there because it was a hot load and get there or you lose your job and he was already over his hours of operation.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 4:56 pm

100 percent driver error in either case. He is captain of his ship. I'd really like to know what company he drove for.

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/17/16 5:05 pm

Was the guy a coal truck driver by any chance?

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 5:08 pm

From the pictures I saw it was a 53' van trailer. So no.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 5:08 pm

"State Highway Patrol said Carter is a new employee at Natex Group, Inc., a trucking company out of Wheeling, Ill. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration records show the company started June 28, 2016. It employs five drivers."

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 5:20 pm

Small company most likely still running paper logs and hiring morons. Well they're done. Gives all of us professional drivers a bad name. No load is worth a life.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 5:24 pm

Everyone has to respect the road. It's no joke out there. Things can go really wrong really quick.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/17/16 5:33 pm

This is why I think every drivers Ed course should include taking a field trip in a tractor trailer along with the Smith System.
www.opensesame.com/c/smith-system-5-keys-safe-driving-training-course

getupbaby South City
08/17/16 6:22 am

Jail time and a life filled with regret.

OldPoop
08/17/16 6:01 am

Public execution by hanging within 48 clock hours of conviction . . . either that or a nasty note sent home to his parents!!

jrockit
08/17/16 5:40 am

He should be charged with Vehicular Manslaughter construction zones have signs all over telling you to slow down he violated the law and the result caused a death.

lizardlipsohio The TARDIS
08/17/16 5:35 am

Which highway? I'm in Ohio and didn't hear about this

jrockit
08/17/16 5:42 am

Eastbound lanes of the turnpike, west of the Ohio 250 exit for Sandusky.

www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/08/multi-vehicle_crash_kills_1_cl.html

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 5:54 am

Yes, it was Sunday afternoon, about 2:00.

myob
08/17/16 5:19 am

Nothing, unless he was drunk or high or did it on purpose.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
08/17/16 5:51 am

I can see what you mean by educated now. So, good luck with that.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
08/17/16 4:25 am

I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone has ever said that in a serious manner.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
08/17/16 4:40 am

Do you mean the part about asking cowboy?

Arya8
08/17/16 10:29 am

😂😂😂

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/17/16 4:24 am

I think he should do jail time and lose his license. That is if he just didn't slow down because he didn't want to. I don't know what the specifics are. But, I get sick of people doing what they want even though they know they aren't supposed to. My ex is a commercial driver and believe me, they know better.

cpaswr just say the letters
08/17/16 3:53 am

There should be jail time involved.