Mackinaw August 17th, 2016 1:50am

Inspired by a poll I saw a few days ago: I'm a pagan, ask me anything!

TakeMyBait
08/17/16 12:36 am

What would you be doing if Minecraft didn't exist?

jmw7477 Indiana
08/17/16 12:11 am

I'm Wiccan as well. I don't work with a specific aspect -- just the general Father God and Mother Goddess.

I grew up Christian, but it never felt right to me either. I saw something about Wicca on the news when I was in high school. I lived with my grandparents and knew grandma would throw a fit, so I didn't do any real research until I graduated and got married.

jmw7477 Indiana
08/17/16 12:07 am

Why are you a jackass?

ClassicalLib Southern California
08/17/16 11:29 pm

Because I think paganism is rediculous and I refuse to respect it as a reasonable religion.

jmw7477 Indiana
08/18/16 1:18 am

Why? What are your reasons?

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 8:51 pm

What branch of paganism? Do you pray to any specific Gods?

08/16/16 8:57 pm

Wicca. I usually work with and pray to Cernunnos and Aveta.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 9:03 pm

That's awesome. So are you primarily Dualistic then?

08/16/16 9:08 pm

Yes, I believe in a Father God and Mother Goddess. I believe the various gods of the pagan faiths are facets of those two, representing different characteristics, and thus I respect all of them. I work with the gods of Celtic Gaul because I feel the closest with them and the land, as half of my family came from France.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 9:11 pm

Are you a descendent of the Gallican Celts before the Frankish Germanic invasion?

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 9:17 pm

I just asked because you said you feel closer to the Celtic Gods. When the Franks came in they almost whipped the Gallicans out, seeing them as an inferior people. But as time went on the Gallican Culture and Frankish Culture blended to create French Culture.

08/16/16 9:23 pm

Mostly it comes down to that's where my family lived, and I feel close to the gods of that land. Who owned it afterwards doesn't matter so much. And in the end I know that the God and Goddess I follow are bigger than that, it's just these names and likenesses are the ones I feel closest to in my heart so those are the ones I say and think of to make it more personal to me.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 9:29 pm

Ah okay. What were you before becoming a Wiccan Pagan?

08/16/16 9:36 pm

Before I found Wicca I had been Christian but I started having doubts about it, it didn't feel right so I moved into agnosticism pretty much. I was kind of in the lurch for a while, unable to find something that felt right for me until I found Wicca.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 10:02 pm

Why Wicca? Why not if you feel so close to your Celtic French roots go for Neo-Druidism?

08/16/16 10:10 pm

To be honest I'm not very familiar with Neo-Druidism. However I do very much like the components of Wicca, such as accepting all the pagan gods, the rule of threefold returns (karma essentially), care for the environment, acceptance of science, and generally the rituals. I also like that's pretty much just one rule: the Wiccan Rede, which states that you can do whatever you want so long as you don't cause harm.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 10:14 pm

Fair enough, nice talking with you. Will you do polls about your religion in the future? See if people agree of disagree with components of it.

08/16/16 10:17 pm

Maybe, if I think of any good ones. I try not to flood the app with every little thought. That annoys the hell out of me. I may do more AMAs in the future though.

Nice talking with you as well.

08/16/16 10:29 pm

@Yessy Yes but it's not like a magician pulling a rabbit out of his hat. It's not easy and it takes time, effort, and patience. I don't believe that for example, if I conduct a ritual to give a close friend good luck and safety, that it's 100% guaranteed to happen. I think of it as a nudge, bettering the odds.

GingerFascist Ireland
08/16/16 10:32 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought in the pagan world view magic is seen as more of a metaphor for things we can not understand because it is simply the will of the Gods and out of our narrow mindset.

08/16/16 10:39 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty close approximation. Although I don't know about the will of the gods part. I feel that it's just natural forces of the universe that can be utilized with the proper knowledge, will, and patience. I've only attempted it a few times to help others and heal pain.

Yessy French Texan
08/16/16 10:44 pm

What didn't you like about Christianity ? Was it the hypocrisy of the Church! Or something else

08/16/16 10:56 pm

@Yessy It was a lot of things. I didn't like the huge centralized power in the churches of Christianity, I don't like the messages of the Old Testament, I didn't like how the faith is used to try to suppress others (not saying all Christians do that), I felt like a lot of the rules were pointless, it doesn't really teach care for the Earth, and it doesn't think beyond our planet.

Also really at the end of the day I just couldn't believe in it, it felt so (I don't mean to be rude but it's my personal feeling) synthetic. I mean the concept of monotheism came from Zoroastrianism, its background from Judaism, and all of its holidays come from pagan faiths.

voc I am...what I am
08/16/16 8:30 pm

What's the thread count on your sheets?

08/16/16 8:34 pm

Shoot, I can't remember what it was.

IronSpiderchan Communism is a disease
08/16/16 8:02 pm

Do people make a big deal out of you being a Pagan?

08/16/16 8:07 pm

Nobody has yet. At most I've gotten a couple friendly comments on the Wiccan pentacle I wear. I get a lot more surprised or disapproving stares though.

GlockMan1 Alabama
08/16/16 7:37 pm

How many Hospitals have pagans built?

GlockMan1 Alabama
08/16/16 7:58 pm

Nice group of people those pagans.

08/16/16 8:05 pm

Well considering there's only about 1.5 million of us in the whole country and we're hastled by city governments when even trying to set up a temple I'm not surprised.

Paganism is split up into many different beliefs, such as Wicca, Neodruidism, Norse Paganism, and so on. None of those have the centralized leadership that say Christianity does, making it difficult for all of these different people and groups to come together to make it happen.

GlockMan1 Alabama
08/16/16 8:08 pm

Good luck with that on your death bed.

jmw7477 Indiana
08/17/16 12:02 am

Glock is just a close-minded troll. Don't worry about it.

08/16/16 7:15 pm

What kind or what gods do you follow, if I may ask?

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 7:21 pm

Eris/morrighan/Freyja. She is known by these names and more

08/16/16 7:41 pm

I follow the Celtic gods of Gaul (my family came from France and I feel a connection to the land). I respect the gods of other pantheons as facets of the Father God and Mother Goddess however.