Laserbeam August 16th, 2016 4:57pm

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/16/16 7:23 pm

Some things are too complex to be explained simply. Well, simply and accurately, at least.

kermie gaytopia
08/16/16 6:37 pm

Lots of things can't be so reduced.

lagg
08/16/16 11:33 am

I always heard it phrased "if you can't teach it to your grandma you don't really understand it."

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 1:50 pm

I think that's the same idea. If you can't effectively explain it to somebody who has no prior knowledge of the subject, you don't understand it very well yourself.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/16/16 11:22 am

While far from an expert I do a lot of knitting. I create my own designs. It's not simple to explain.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
08/16/16 10:07 am

I would only disagree because somethings well understood are written intentionally to be hard to understand. For example, Legalese.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 10:09 am

But (good) lawyers can in fact explain complex law to a layperson in a simple way they can easy understand.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
08/16/16 10:11 am

A more specific example, try reading the TPP legislation.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 10:12 am

I don't think you get what Einstein was trying to say..

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 10:12 am

Those who are well-versed in the wording of documents like that can read it and subsequently understand it well enough to explain it in simple terms to others.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
08/16/16 10:15 am

I get it. It's not a difficult concept. My point is some experts intentionally make things difficult to understand.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 10:23 am

I doubt that's their goal, like they're all trying to conspire against the layperson. The reason legal wording is so complicated is because it's entirely too easy to find loopholes that will hold up in court unless the document is worded as carefully and precise as humanly possible.

Other difficult subjects, say astrophysics, was not intentionally made difficult... It just is.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
08/16/16 10:30 am

I disagree. There are situations where deception is intentional

HayleyS looking up.
08/16/16 7:17 pm

Literary theorist Derrida wrote intentionally confusingly at times to better make his point.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Derrida

But aside from that, my literary theory class also taught me that some ideas really are too complicated to explain simply.

Even when I read Derrida's ideas explained more directly, they are still confusing as hell.