Manof5orrow5 August 16th, 2016 3:06pm

Have you ever visited a National Park in the United States?

08/16/16 12:12 pm

I've been to Acadia National Park many times (starting with spending the summer next door to it when I was 16, and camping in it for 2 weeks at a time for a number of years, decades later).

I've been to Rocky Mountain National Park a number of times, now that I live an hour away from it.

08/16/16 12:16 pm

I love RMNP! I visited it when I was in Estes Park a few months ago (working to keep national parks from selling off chunks of land to the oil & gas industry, funny enough).

08/16/16 12:22 pm

Heck, if you're ever back there, let me know. I suppose you'd be busy all the time, and I have no idea how I'd get there unless I could talk other people into going, but who knows.

08/16/16 12:25 pm

I will indeed! I was only there for a few days and most of my time was spent in breakout sessions and caucuses and other stuff like that lol. But I hope to return one day strictly for vacation purposes. My boyfriend has strong ties to the state so it's very likely.

08/16/16 12:26 pm

We may even have had this conversation before. But still.

08/16/16 12:27 pm

I know we've talked about Fort Collins before, where my bf grew up. His parents live in Aurora these days, but last time we visited them we ended up visiting all over the mountains.

08/16/16 12:29 pm

Yes, and I had managed to totally forget that! But I remember it now.

08/16/16 12:30 pm

You're saying your memory is worse then a stoner's?? 😋😋

08/16/16 12:37 pm

Well, some might say that my drug use in my youth is responsible for at least some of it. (And they could be right...) And I worry about memory loss now that I'm old. My daughter says she hasn't noticed anything worrisome, yet, though.

08/16/16 12:38 pm

You're as sharp as a tack, Susan. Don't worry about that kind of thing 🙂

08/16/16 12:40 pm

Just as long as you don't comment on genetics-related matters. You're out of your league on that subject compared this app's finest of truck drivers 😂😂😂

08/16/16 12:43 pm

I've lost "friends" here over some of my statements on genetics-related topics.

08/16/16 12:44 pm

Really? Topics like what? Bioengineering?

08/16/16 12:52 pm

Homosexuality. And transgenderism. It was one of those discussions were people who learned about XX/XY chromosomes in 8th grade biology were declaring everyone idiots if they didn't understand that if you're XX you're female (and heterosexual) and if you're XY, you're male (and heterosexual), and there's absolutely positively no other option.

*Ahem,* I say. We really don't know what causes homosexuality, much less transgenderism, but all signs point to genetic and/or epigenetic influences. Which we know influence structures in the brain as well as in the genitals.

Meanwhile, let me tell you some stories about intersex individuals, where XY can very much turn out to be female, and I happen to know such a person.

They don't seem to get that a chromosome is made up of many genes, all of which code for proteins, that Do Things, all of which can have Mutations, that can Screw Up things.

Happens over and over and over.

08/16/16 12:54 pm

But one time that that happened, I did lose someone that I thought was an actual friend. It was a relationship that started with animosity and grew into mutual respect, where we'd defended each other against some nastiness here. I thought he just had a couple of blind spots (gays, Muslims...) but was at heart a decent guy, with great integrity. Until he started calling me names, told people not to believe me, and pretty much flipped out.

08/16/16 12:55 pm

I'll bet Manof5orrow5 wonders what the hell happened to his poll.

08/16/16 12:55 pm

Ahh I see. I personally don't know much about genetics as it relates to homosexuality and transgenderism... Thus, I leave it to the experts who research just that, and I listen to the latest they have to say about it.

What a concept. 😁

08/16/16 1:01 pm

There *isn't* a lot known. It does seem to be probably mostly epigenetic but maybe a little contribution from actual genes. I just saw something fairly new the other day; hope I bookmarked it. But there's enough that one can't shrug it off and say it's nuts. Not that I care, honestly. I don't give a crap if it's a choice or not, really.

But you can't say the same about intersex, which in some ways is more interesting. There are over 200 known mutations that can result in intersex individuals. Proving, at the very least, that sex isn't as simple as XX=female and XY=male.

08/16/16 9:11 am

Several. I've also fought to keep NPS land from being sold to private owners.

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 9:26 am

That would be easy if we had money

08/16/16 12:13 pm

How close do you live to any of them, Xemanis? Or any of the National Monuments, etc.? There must be something fairly close to you. Some of them have free days, but I imagine they're pretty crowded then.

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 12:16 pm

Also it costs money to go there

08/16/16 12:17 pm

National parks are free if you hike, bike, etc into the park. The fee is only to bring a vehicle in.

08/16/16 12:19 pm

I dunno; I just looked and I'm seeing something like $12 for an individual, bicyclist or pedestrian.

08/16/16 12:21 pm

GO TO BIG BEND! I've never been there, but I've seen photographs (by a photographer I knew from CompuServe; he gave me one of them) and it looks amazing.

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 12:21 pm

that wouldn't be much of a problem but I haven't been able to take a vacation for years

08/16/16 12:21 pm

Well, cripes, you have to do *somethng* for fun.

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 12:24 pm

lol, I play games. It's more amazing than it sounds. You've got no idea how many adventures I've been on..

I'm only 17 and I don't think my mother (father unemployed) can afford to take that many days off

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 12:24 pm

I do plan on going to a national park one day at least

08/16/16 12:33 pm

Maybe it's just some national parks that are free to enter without a vehicle. At least state parks and stuff like that are free to take a trail into.

08/16/16 12:39 pm

Yeah, there are probably other parks there are free to walk into, even if none of the nationals are (and you may be right that some are; I dunno).

I forgot you were that young, Xamanis.

08/16/16 12:41 pm

Well if you think about it... Every park is free if you put enough effort into it... It's not like they've built a wall around any of our national parks 😁

Xemanis Lawful Good
08/16/16 1:00 pm

Hehe. I'll take that as a compliment, Susan.

that's also true, laser

08/16/16 1:07 pm

Yeah, my daughter & her husband live off a county road in the foothills of the Rockies. About a quarter mile from the junction of their road and the county road is the entrance to Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, a great county park. There's an annual pass and a day fee if you go in the official entrance. It would be easier for them to walk in from the road junction. (They don't, because they believe in supporting the place, but they could, easily.)