Show Of Hands August 16th, 2016 12:00pm

Would strangers consider your life story to be interesting?

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
08/17/16 9:12 pm

No. And I don't think other people's stories are usually very interesting either.

SallyMander Margaritaville
08/17/16 1:16 pm

There was a small portion of my life that had the beginnings of a book... had it come to fruition I have no doubt it would've sold copies, but sadly, it did not. The other 99% of my life would put you to sleep.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
08/17/16 8:56 am

πŸ˜΄πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€ <---my life

ainsleyy previously kitkat123
08/16/16 8:12 pm

only thing interesting is that i lived in china

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/16/16 7:48 pm

My life could be a good book with a little creative interpretation.

I've done a lot of things with some epic successes & failures. I've been an engineer, rancher, Stephens Minister, industry speaker, inventor (2 patents), adventurer, entrepreneur and I've climbed a few ladders. I had a grand champion bull at the San Antonio rodeo, i was on the cover of a magazine, I worked for the French Social Security, I took the helm of a cargo ship, I started a business and raised it to $36 million/ 360 employees. I won a $9 million law suit against a major corporation, I've SCUBA dived many times in Hawaii & the Caribbean, I spoke at a SPIE convention in Washington DC, I was invited to the Governors' mansion for charitable recognition, my company was an Inc 500 company, I've skydived & I've bungee jumped many times, a parasailed behind a boat & a jeep, I have strong family & a great heritage.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/16/16 7:49 pm

I'm not bragging about success. I've had plenty of failures & never enough adventures. I am saying that I have had a rich full life and I am thankful for ever breath. Life has been good for this old spirit.

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/17/16 3:17 am

Wow that's amazing. Do you have any advice for a young adult?

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/17/16 6:15 am

I was studying engineering at A&M and concerned about my engineering career path. A professor told me not to worry about it. It just didn't really matter at the time. Things work out.

Generally my advise would be to:
Relax and enjoy the ride.
Take everything serious but have fun doing it.
Search for perspective. Understand the bigger picture - what makes things really tick from yours boss' boss' perspective
Know that you will never forget your mistakes. Don't do anything you can't live with forever.
Take a long term perspective. Pleasures of today pass quickly. Build on today for tomorrow.
Create relationships and cherish them.

Have fun.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/17/16 6:42 am

The question you need to answer for yourself is how much risk are you willing to take. I like walking the line but there's a lot to be said for security & stability. It seems the best careers today are with the government but you wouldn't catch me there. I'm hoping the future is brighter for small businesses in America.

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/17/16 8:46 am

phalnx Ohio
08/21/16 5:24 am

Pretty interesting life you've led, Casper...hope you have a few more adventures left in you :).

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/21/16 6:15 am

Thank you Phalnx.
You only get a few real adventures in life but in many ways every day is an adventure. I hope I have a few left.

sfcren Wyoming
08/16/16 6:12 pm

Mine has been a roller coaster ride, I think it would be interesting, but not a blockbuster.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/16/16 2:38 pm

Boring for anyone else, but interesting and awesome fire new.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/16/16 5:04 pm

Your a people person.
Anybody would find you & your life interesting.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/16/16 5:29 pm

*for me not "fire new". πŸ˜•

Thank you, Casper. I'm not sure how interesting I am, but I agree I'm a people person. 😊

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
08/17/16 3:19 pm

Kay! You rock! I think you could write a book about common sense or being practical & not getting caught up in all the hype or something akin to that & it would be a big hit. All of your comments are no nonsense, see right through the garbage to get to the facts etc... "In Kay I Trust/ IKIT!!" 😊☺️

Kay41 the Midwest
08/17/16 6:33 pm

You are too kind. But, if I ever write a book I'll know who to come to to be my promoter! 😊😁

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/16/16 2:19 pm

Unlikely. Pretty much the same story as everyone else. Some interesting segments along the way, for sure, but mostly SSDD.

tdaddy Kentucky
08/16/16 2:10 pm

I think so. I am certain they would marvel that I'm still alive.

blueeyedmomma Chaos Central
08/20/16 7:03 pm

Makes me want to hear more! Maybe there is a book in there lol!

tdaddy Kentucky
08/20/16 10:31 pm

Not so sure about that. Like the time I was coming home alone from a party some summer night in the late sixties or early seventies, certifiably wasted, on foot going past our neighborhood's private beach at the White Meadow Lake clubhouse. When just then I decided to sneak under the chain link fence separating me from the beach. Once under the fence and out on the beach, whoa.. right in front of me but upside down lied the lifeguard's boat. Heck, why not turn in over and take it out on the lake? Not such a bright idea for someone than can't swim and never had been alone in a boat up til' then. Nonetheless, a few minutes later I had the boat right side up and was pushing it down to the lake, into the lake.. but by the time I was just approaching the floating rope that marked the perimeter of the swimming area, I began taking on water. Quite a natural thing to happen when you're site in the right corner in the back of the boat.. oops, out of room....

tdaddy Kentucky
08/20/16 10:35 pm

...gee,should have proofed that before I clicked "post", so sorry about all the errors. πŸ˜–πŸ˜œ

tdaddy Kentucky
08/21/16 1:09 am

Anyhow, the boat capsized and next thing I knew I was in water over my head but lucky for me the perimeter rope was within easy reach, so I got back to shore while hanging onto that rope, and in the days that followed every time I passed by that lake I wondered how many people wondered how the boat got into the lake and why was it upside down? But soon after that we moved so I never did find out what happened.

kywrite augusta, ga
08/16/16 6:49 pm

My husband and I have decided we have an Invisible Audience, and weird stuff happens to us to keep the audience entertained. When things get really crazy, we know it's Sweeps Week.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/16/16 1:05 pm

If we're including my personal life, oh hell yeah. But, they probably wouldn't believe half of it.

tdaddy Kentucky
08/16/16 2:11 pm

Yeah, same here.

SwedishBeast Honor the roots
08/16/16 11:28 am

Wouldn't really want to talk about it. I am happy now and that is all that matters.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/16/16 10:17 am

I think the early part of my life would overwhelm some people. Glad I'm in a calmer safer place now.

hbpole FoCo
08/16/16 10:02 am

Military service, family member murdered on Christmas day when I was 6, sexually assaulted by my step brother growing up, sexually assaulted by a fellow airman while deployed... there's gotta be a couple lifetime movies in there somewhere right?

pp8qq In Haters Nightmares
08/21/16 8:59 pm

This user is currently being ignored

lcamino Florida and Georgia
08/16/16 9:52 am

I've been through a lot that I wouldn't want to relive by writing a book.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
08/16/16 9:04 am

My life is probably interesting to some, I'm a boring person though. I went to a great high school, a large, recognized university away from home, I've travelled overseas, and my early life was much different than it is now. My daily life is pretty boring though.

swervin Maryland
08/16/16 9:02 am

Yes. Understatement of the year goes to...

PrincessPetal Austin, TX
08/16/16 8:43 am

I think I do have a lot more to tell than the average 19 year old.

robclark89 Utah
08/16/16 8:08 am

I think so. With one year left in college I was actually dismissed from the school because of grades. I was able to get back in, and finish my degree, all the while getting married and having two kids. I think it's a pretty good comeback, perseverance story.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
08/16/16 7:38 am

If you told the story right....the first 30 years was pretty unlikely. The next 20 have been routine.

jmw7477 Indiana
08/16/16 7:36 am

Probably parts of it, but I doubt all of it.

LazySteelworker USA
08/16/16 7:34 am

Everyone that has ever heard about my relationship history seemed pretty interested.

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/16/16 7:09 am

I have had a lot of people tell me I should right a book about my life. Some of it would be interesting in a good way. A lot would be interesting in a depressing way. But, I don't think it would be very interesting or depressing at this point of my life. LoL

PrincessPetal Austin, TX
08/16/16 11:09 am

It has! I'm great. Missed seeing you around!

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/16/16 11:13 am

Yeah, from time to time I have to take a break from the meanness that happens here. Then, I find myself yelling at trump via my tv and though, hey, Show of Hands. I have already had to block two people, but enjoying being back. I've been well. Getting ready to buy a house, so that's exciting. Either one with a pool or one with a big back yard so we can have a pool with a hot tub put in. I'm very excited. So glad to hear from you again. I like that you out the aka for your location. Made me remember you. I always thought your name was cute. Love the flowers in your pic too. ;)

PrincessPetal Austin, TX
08/16/16 3:32 pm

Oh awesome! Sounds great! Yes, I had to change my name a while back... I hope to see you stick around for a while. :)

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/17/16 3:24 am

I will. I've missed it a lot. I'm really enjoying being back. :)

kdw45 Des Moines
08/16/16 6:14 am

I don't know. Here's my story so far. Y'all interested?
-18 year old.
-Senior in high school
-Private Christian school from Pre-K through high school.
-My grandma and her sister got split when they were children, and one stayed in Norway with their dad and my grandma and their mom stayed here. Meaning half of my family is still full Norwegian living in Norway. Longer story than that, but that's the gist).
-I've been to more countries than states.
-My parents separated 3 years ago. Divorce is still being fought.
-I worked on Senator Marco Rubio's presidential campaign as the social media outreach coordinator for Tennessee.
-Currently Voter Outreach Coordinator for a State Representative Campaign (votemassey.org)

XercesBlue ...
08/16/16 6:51 am

I'd read your book..

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/16/16 7:09 am

You're off to an interesting start, but what happens from here on will make or break the story.

phalnx Ohio
08/21/16 5:32 am

'Worked on Rubio's campaign'...the story of a good kid gone bad :D.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/16/16 6:12 am

Probably... I have definitely encountered a lot in my 42 years... And I like where I am!

kdw45 Des Moines
08/16/16 6:15 am

42? I've always thought you were much younger. As in right out of college age!! Either way, Roll Tide!

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/16/16 6:23 am

Roll Tide!

Lots of people think I'm younger, even in person, but I am almost 42 & a half. I don't care much either way, because I think after one is an adult that age is just a number. πŸ˜ƒ

XercesBlue ...
08/16/16 6:52 am

Same here :) I made my assumption off of the username though ;)

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/16/16 6:55 am

"Bama Girl" is a common term in Alabama for a female Alabama football fan regardless of age.

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/16/16 7:10 am

Yeah, I think your book might be worth a look.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/16/16 7:55 am

Thanks, buddy! Believe me that there have been times when I wish it wasn't.

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/16/16 8:43 am

I know what you mean. Mine would be, too, but I could do without the "soap opera" scenes!

gonzoboy Arizona
08/16/16 5:56 am

I said, "I doubt it", not 'cuz I don't think strangers might be interested, but more because I wouldn't understand why!

phalnx Ohio
08/16/16 5:39 am

They always do. People seem unduly fascinated that I was a former college English instructor and I drive a truck for a living...it's not all that uncommon. I ran into a former college math instructor at the first factory job I worked.

phalnx Ohio
08/16/16 5:40 am

(hint...there's a lot less money in 'instructing' than 'professoring'...instructors are academia's version of minimum wage peons.)

phalnx Ohio
08/17/16 7:08 am

You have my sympathy. At least it's fun :)

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
08/16/16 5:36 am

Not my life story in it of itself, but they would probably find the past 5 years of my life to be interesting.

JulieB The Lake House
08/16/16 5:27 am

Maybe. Like how did those pipes get moldy?

moldypipes9