Praetorianus August 16th, 2016 10:25am

My parents tend to correspond with celebrities. I'll give you their biggest successes in comments, too long for the question. Mom got a response from her crush Henry Fonda, Dad got a response from Ronald Reagan, both in 1980. What's the bigger feat?

dylan1776
08/16/16 4:26 pm

President no matter which one is awesome too be honest

susanr Colorado
08/16/16 8:46 pm

Yeah, but what does she have to do with the poll? Except that her father was mentioned.

susanr Colorado
08/16/16 1:55 pm

Reagan. Because as the President he had a lot of responsibilities and yet took the time to sit down and write a letter. That was kind of him. Celebrities do fan related stuff all the time.

On the other hand, Reagan, as the President, had a lot of responsibilities, and maybe should have stuck to his job.

I received a hand-written letter from Jane Goodall once, in response to a letter I had written to her. It was a lovely thing, written while she was en route from Africa to the US on a ship.

Nik
08/16/16 6:19 pm

The Goodall letter is awesome!

susanr Colorado
08/16/16 7:04 pm

It made me so happy! My daughter was little, and had read (or more likely, I had read to her) one of Goodall's books for kids. Rachel said she would really like to go visit her place in Africa. Which sounds, crazy, right? Especially since I had almost no money. But at the time, I was contemplating leaving San Francisco - I had left my commune, and was wanting to go... somewhere. But didn't know where. So I thought, what the hell. So I wrote to her and asked if there were some way for visitors to come, and explained about my very interested daughter.

So she wrote back, very kindly, and said not at present, but they *were* in the process of building a visitors' center, and to *please* stay tuned, and try to come later when it was finished... She went on a bit more about things they were finding out with the animals at present.

susanr Colorado
08/16/16 7:06 pm

Well, life moved on, and so did we... We ended up moving to Washington DC for a year, living with another refugee from the commune while he was finishing up a medical program there, and then moving to Michigan... for 15 years. And never going to Africa.

But it was nice to have it held out as an actual possibility, when it was mostly just a fantasy.

Maj Worth Economist
08/16/16 7:28 am

Considering I have a letter from Obama, and not a celebrity, I'm gonna project my personal anecdote onto this poll and say Fonda.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/16/16 6:07 am

That's really amazing. I would be proud of both but treasure the one from Ronald Reagan. I have written a couple of authors and received responses.

shygal47 Florida east coast
08/16/16 5:35 am

Neither. Just voted so I could see what people said.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/16/16 4:41 am

You cared enough to vote and say who cares 😹

ronderman North Carolina
08/16/16 5:10 am

I care too. I don't care about rude people.

myob
08/16/16 12:18 pm

Nasty person

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/16/16 3:32 am

Dad wrote a letter to Reagan to congratulate him to his presidency.
Reagan wrote back stating he appreciates support from overseas and will make sure a strong NATO presence will remain in Europe.
Hand signed.

cpaswr just say the letters
08/16/16 4:10 am

This is definitely the winner.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
08/16/16 8:20 am

Which country were you in at the time?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/16/16 8:35 pm

Germany. He sure wanted the support of their populace given the plans to station Pershing nuclear missiles there.

rickvee Living the dream
08/16/16 9:15 pm

Aside from Norway, Sweden, and Finland, West Germany was the closest we could get to the USSR. Plus, the support given to the FRG would cause unrest between the people and government of the GDR. Good strategic move.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/16/16 3:29 am

Mom claimed to be a friend of Jimmy Stewart (untrue) who said Fonda never writes an autograph and dared him.
Fonda sent an autograph written on a torn sandwich wrapper with best wishes.
Well done 🙌

getupbaby South City
08/16/16 6:51 am

Ha ha! Well, Fonda was the better story, at least!