Rainey August 15th, 2016 12:13am

In the past 48 hours, I've managed to have 5 family members( and counting) disown me over one Facebook post. Have you ever had a family member disown you over something incredibly stupid?

CorblaKhan Team Skynet
08/09/17 8:57 pm

People can be so stupid! Who wouldn't want more of you, in their lives?

firefly5 the verse
08/15/16 8:49 pm

How dare you be self - sufficient? The audacity!

Nik
08/15/16 6:30 pm

@rainey I was disowned by my family many, many years ago.
Best thing that ever happened to me!
It's tuff when it happens, but you did nothing wrong. They will smarten up, or they won't. Either way it's not your responsibility to fit into their mold.

deist
08/15/16 4:24 pm

I have cousins in the deep south and they and I don't/didn't see eye to eye on some things, and we did that thing where someone did literally tell me, They were disowning me... Ugh while FB was fun for a bit I couldn't take the drama and the squabbling So I shut down my accnt about five years ago.. I don't miss it one bit..

08/15/16 5:33 pm

That's a great idea! I'm definitely weening myself off of Facebook. I have it mainly for the newsfeed since I don't have tv and don't like any mainstream news. I'll need to find something to replace that first.

Deedee2122 Texas
08/15/16 2:07 pm

Not disowned, but I got kicked out of my dad's house for being emotionally unstable for a while after having 3 concussions in 9 months and several brain injuries before those

fredd TrumpLand
08/15/16 1:59 pm

Nope. But I don't recall ever making a Facebook post either.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
08/15/16 11:17 am

Noone in my family uses Facebook except my nieces and nephews and only 2 are my friends. And they're barely on it. They'd probably disown me because I only really post during football season and bitch about politics lol

Arya8
08/15/16 7:32 am

I made a negative comment about the economy of my hometown, which is100% true, and backed up by lots of sad statistics about the lack of jobs, amount of people living under the poverty line, high unemployment rates, high rates of prescription pill and heroine deaths, and my family (who live there still) said I was a snob for making the comment and sharing a negative article.

It somehow progressed into one brother saying he didn't like my child, who was 2 at the time, because she would cry when he came around. The reason she would cry is that he would see her once a month at most, and instead of hugging her or saying hi, he would joke about stealing her food/toy/sippy cup/whatever she had at the time.

Arya8
08/15/16 7:35 am

So, understandably, a freaking two year old was never happy to see her uncle who would swoop in and grab her baby doll and say "give me that baby!" And pretend to run away with it. Add in that one day she bit his daughter (who is 5 years older and shoved her) while my mom was babysitting both, and he declared my child to be a bad kid. Of course his 7 year old pushing a toddler was fine. I didn't punish her because no one told me it happened at the time, so that made me a bad mom who was raising a "spoiled brat."

Fast forward almost five years and my child is a great kid and this daughter is constantly in trouble.

Once he insulted my child, I couldn't forgive him. Our relationship hasn't been the same.

I feel your pain. I'm sorry. :(

Arya8
08/15/16 7:36 am

So long story short, yes.

And it sucks and I'm sorry this happened. People suck.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
08/15/16 4:45 am

Did this 5 family members actually disown you, or did they just unfriend you on Facebook?

08/15/16 7:19 am

Disown. I haven't checked today, but they were actually still my Facebook friends as of yesterday. They probably think I'm going to post more stuff and don't want to miss out.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
08/15/16 2:43 pm

That's so weird. Who even announces such things? I can't imagine ever telling a family member "I am disowning you." It just sounds so melodramatic. I'm sorry that happened to you though.

08/15/16 4:12 pm

They live for drama. While it hurts now, I know I'll be better off. Thank you!

jmw7477 Indiana
08/15/16 12:54 am

My family won't disown me. My husband and I are doing the best. They're too afraid they'd miss out on something. Plus, they know that if they do, it wouldn't bother me. They'd cease to exist to me. It sounds conceited and harsh, but you have to know about my family to understand.

Isomax TIC TOC
08/15/16 12:25 am

Oh yeah! And when they consumed all the air they had available by holding a gum flapping confab. It became quiet. Ahhhhh! Mission Accomplished !

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/14/16 9:50 pm

I'm sorry. :( That sucks. Sounds like temper tantrums to me.

alkie New York
08/14/16 9:42 pm

I don't know what happened. Is there an article on the New York Times about this?

08/14/16 10:06 pm

You can catch the article below πŸ˜‰

alynn Somewhere wonderful
08/14/16 9:17 pm

I'm sorry that you're going thru this @Rainey. People can be real idiots, and it sounds like there may be some jealousy involved. It matters little what you said or how you said it (though it sounds like you were respectful while sticking up for yourself)...what matters is that those people put you in that position in the first place. Their gossip was immature and it sounds like you had little else to do than to address it. Good for you. Sometimes you have to do what's right and let the chips fall where they may.

08/14/16 10:06 pm

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
08/14/16 9:00 pm

Well, I guess that would depend on what kind of car you got. πŸ˜‰

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
08/14/16 9:03 pm

Ooh. Neat! My sister had an 06. I liked it.

ProudCentrist Chicago, Illinois
08/14/16 8:58 pm

Wish I could disown my godmother, she begged my parents for money and they said no so she blocked them on social media and stopped talking to them.

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
08/14/16 8:53 pm

Since you are admitting it was stupid why don't you apologize?

08/14/16 8:56 pm

What I said isn't stupid, why I had to say it is stupid.

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
08/14/16 9:07 pm

Sorry
I must have read you poll wrong. Was sure you said it was over something stupid.

TakeMyBait
08/14/16 8:47 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what did you say? And be honest, don't give me any bs.

08/14/16 8:57 pm

Scroll down a bit, I discussed it with Jack.

GaryBeary Maryland
08/14/16 8:31 pm

I don`t post to Facebook. Next to zero control over who sees what.

I use Google+ for postings.

08/14/16 8:33 pm

As silly as this sounds, I haven't even thought about using google plus! I was on my way out of using Facebook but hadn't made the leap because I like seeing news stories from pages I follow. I think google plus would be perfect for me.

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 8:40 pm

Almost no one uses Google+ or i would have made the switch years ago.

GaryBeary Maryland
08/14/16 8:45 pm

I think it is great, because you can group people in circles. Then post to whichever circles.

You can create topic areas (politics, environment, entertainment, etc.), and add people from whichever circles to those topic areas. Then post to those topic areas.

You can create communities, and invite circles to your communities.

08/14/16 8:45 pm

Nobody asked you, osoulyπŸ™„

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 8:47 pm

πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

GaryBeary Maryland
08/14/16 8:52 pm

I have 43 followers at this point.

I have a half dozen topic areas.

Most of what I post goes public (all followers).
I restrict the politics to family, and some friends.

voc I am...what I am
08/14/16 8:10 pm

I'm sorry you are going through that. Remember your soh family still loves you, but don't expect anything for Christmas from us.

08/14/16 8:15 pm

Damnit! I was hoping to get a bike this year!

I love my soh family!!πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/16 8:02 pm

To answer your poll question...apparently my brother disowned me for not giving him the lawnmower after Dad died. πŸ™„

08/14/16 8:08 pm

What the heck! That is so absurd and I'm very sorry to hear that πŸ’•

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/16 8:16 pm

Thanks! He hasn't behaved much like a brother in over 25 years, so it wasn't a huge loss. πŸ™ƒ

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/16 7:59 pm

Rainey, I read what happened below. I'm terribly sorry, but it sounds like you are better off without them!

anniepoops fear the deer
08/14/16 7:57 pm

Sorry to hear that. You're a nice person. 😎

08/14/16 7:59 pm

Thank you, veg! β˜ΊοΈπŸ’•

anniepoops fear the deer
08/14/16 7:59 pm

You're welcome! πŸ’©πŸ’œ

XercesBlue ...
08/14/16 7:55 pm

I don't post incredibly stupid things..

XercesBlue ...
08/14/16 7:57 pm

Eww... Sorry to hear about the drama - you were definitely in the right.

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 7:53 pm

My family's very close knit. I don't see anyone disowning me for anything.

08/14/16 8:03 pm

Yo, I am your family. ☺️

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 8:11 pm

πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ‘«πŸ‘«

PollPositioned Just Curious
08/14/16 7:51 pm

Kinda, and used it as an excuse to temporarily distance myself.
Took a break.

But, never went so far as to disown.

CudOfCow Oregon
08/14/16 7:47 pm

I have an estranged uncle that joined a born-again Christian cult many years ago, he doesn't talk to anyone anymore because he thinks that we are the embodiment of Satan and are the "Enemy" trying to seduce him out of this cult. which we are...so i guess it is justified...in some fucking brainwashed way...

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 7:22 pm

I guess it would all depend on what you posted.

08/14/16 7:40 pm

I bought a new car on Monday and my family started talking shit about me to other family members saying I should t be buying things like that. So all I did was ask people to please mind their own business and at least have the decency talk to me instead of behind my back

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 7:48 pm

That sounds a little over-simplified to me. I'm sure some harsh language was used and maybe the singling out of a few people for direct attacks? Was there more back and forth than what you're saying? Unless you had an extremely weak and fragile relationship with them to begin with, your explanation is tenuous at best without seeing what was written.

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 7:53 pm

As a friend of hers on facebook, i can attest to her synopsis being as close to the real thing as possible. There were no personal attacks and nothing hurtful was directly stated.

RJ1969 SoCal
08/14/16 7:56 pm

I remember that post. It's a beautiful car.

08/14/16 8:07 pm

Well yeah, the post is several paragraphs long. I went in depth explaining how I'm very financially stable, how I've been in my own since I was 18 and now at 27, I have a house, 2 new cars, and I get to take vacations each year while living very comfortably and not outside my means. I never directly attacked anyone and used one cuss word in the comment section( which doesn't even matter) and you're right. The relationships were rocky already, but again, their fault not mine.

08/14/16 8:07 pm

Thank you, RJ! 😊

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 8:23 pm

No offense, but it's been my experience to find in situations like this, that there are always two more sides to the story than what is given. You had left out the part about there being a history of some strife with your family to begin with. Does it have to directly do with this current situation? Did you go back on some kind of promise or agreement you had? What would your family have to say about this?
I'm sure you have friends that will come to your defense, however so would I, right or wrong.
I'm not saying your family is justified, all I'm saying is the reason might not be so "stupid" to a more informed, neutral party.

08/14/16 8:28 pm

They don't like me because I'm a progressive and an atheist. They think my views are stupid and I'm "probably good person because atheists usually have no morals" he be always been extremely kind to them, helped them out as much as I can, never disrespectful. I never try to shove my views down their throats the way they have mine. This is the first time I've opened my mouth and that's why they're mad. I'm finally calling them out on their shit.

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 8:33 pm

Yeah Jack, you're really off base on this one. In the post that sparked all this Rainey never once did anything that would justify a strong response like this.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 8:35 pm

If you don't mind me asking, and you can tell me to pound sand if you want, what do you do for a living?

08/14/16 8:38 pm

My husband and I run a painting company. He's Vice President ( soon to be president) of the company, and I do all of the bookkeeping

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 8:42 pm

If I had to guess, this would have to do more with religion than it would a vehicle purchase. Sounds like this is deep rooted and more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

08/14/16 8:45 pm

You're probably right, and that is very sad. ☹️

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 8:53 pm

It is.
I'm also not speaking with my parents, for a myriad of reasons going back to when I was a kid. We haven't spoken in years.
My mom has to have heart surgery soon, but the doctors think she might not survive the operation. I've been debating on wether I should reach out or not, so I understand your dilemma. I just hope it doesn't get that far with your situation.

Vayl Reason over common sense
08/14/16 9:04 pm

If this doesn't show how religion is harmful, I don't know what does.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
08/14/16 9:08 pm

I don't think it's a problem with religion, it's a problem with tolerance. And acceptance.

Vayl Reason over common sense
08/14/16 9:30 pm

And what caused this lack of tolerance and acceptance?

Because religion carries the imaginary but extreme threat of eternal damnation, and because the religious adopt a preconceived moral code which (according to the religion) can only be derived from God, many religious individuals will naturally view nonbelievers as evil. Why? Because for one, nonbelievers have no god from which to derive any sense of morality, and two, nonbelievers can potentially influence others to leave the faith, thus keeping them from being saved and damning them to an eternity of torment. So, it's only natural that much of the religious are going to despise those that do not believe.
Now, I'm not saying that all religious people are intolerant, but the point is that there are many religious people who are, and there is good reason to believe that their intolerance is the direct result of their religious beliefs.
Religion, at least in its current state, is a problem.

alkie New York
08/15/16 5:20 pm

Tell them to suck it and be on your way. Who cares what they think

lcamino Florida and Georgia
08/14/16 6:42 pm

That's so hurtful. I'm sorry.

08/14/16 7:48 pm

Thank you. It's difficult to deal with all at once.

Mackinaw Wolverine State, est.1837
08/14/16 6:40 pm

Yep. My father tried to get me to kill myself when he found out I'm bisexual, then kept everything I owned when I got the hell out.

08/14/16 7:50 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. A very similar thing happened to me when I was 18 with my sperm donor( I'll never call him my father again). I hope you're in a much better place now

GlockMan1 Alabama
08/14/16 6:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear they are not TRUMP supports like yourself.

nsmith Suck on my freedom
08/15/16 7:07 pm

@glockman1 I thought the same thing when I read the poll. After reading the comments I'm aware it had nothing to do with politics.

sea California
08/14/16 6:07 pm

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we don't get to choose our family.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/14/16 5:59 pm

It sounds like until they find another hobby maybe you're better off getting a vacation from them for a while. Hopefully it will all work itself out without more drama.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/14/16 5:54 pm

I'm sorry that happened to you! πŸ’œ

Give them time and I bet they come around after realizing how silly they are being.

imanag My heaven on Earth
08/14/16 5:46 pm

@Rainey, I'm sorry that happened. Hopefully, they'll calm down and get a little perspective on things. In the meantime, go bake something awesome. Snicker doodles cure everything.

08/14/16 7:52 pm

Thank you so much! I love to bake when I'm sad. Makes me so much happier ☺️ my husband will love all the snickerdoodle stuff!

imanag My heaven on Earth
08/14/16 8:23 pm

I bet he will! I'm glad that you two have each other and your fur family. πŸ’—

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 5:35 pm

I saw that - or actually your post in reaction to whatever happened. I'm sorry; it sounds like it was pretty rude of them and awful. I hope they, uh, grow up. What gets into people, anyway?

I feel fortunate that I haven't had to deal with that in my own family, ever.

08/14/16 7:51 pm

I think they're all very bored with their lives and felt the need to stir up drama. It's very unfortunate 😞

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/14/16 5:35 pm

Oh good grief!!!!

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

DrCarpenter Ann Arbor or Florence
08/14/16 5:32 pm

I have indeed. So sorry you're going through that.

Fungi Charlotte NC
08/14/16 5:27 pm

I'm guessing it was something political.

08/14/16 5:30 pm

Nope. Not at all. I asked if everyone could please come directly to me if they have a question about how I live my life instead of talking about me behind my back. Probably the stupidest reaction I've ever seen.

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:31 pm

THEY GOT MAD OVER THAT!!!!!!?

08/14/16 5:34 pm

Yep. I mean the post was several paragraphs, but that's the gist of it.

Fungi Charlotte NC
08/14/16 5:35 pm

You're better off without them. Petty nonsense like that is not worth your time.

mistah Happy Happy Joy Joy
08/14/16 7:57 pm

The ones that disowned you were probably the ones doing all the talking. Fuckem

fredd TrumpLand
08/15/16 2:02 pm

I agree with the majority. Screw them. And watch out for other family members trying to coax you into making the reconciliation. Tell them to get the others to come to you, not the other way around.

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/14/16 5:21 pm

Not disown, but marginalize. Life hasn't been the same since.

Allsports my world
08/14/16 5:18 pm

Life is short, good luck

biker4life Arizona
08/14/16 5:17 pm

No, but it wouldn't bother me if they did. I only get along with my youngest sister.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/14/16 5:17 pm

I've gone this far without my family disowning me... and I was quite the handful as a teenager. I think I'm safe at this point πŸ˜‹

rons WOKE is sick
08/14/16 5:30 pm

Teenager?? Not now??

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/14/16 5:37 pm

I hate to admit it, but I've calmed down a bit in my 20s.

08/14/16 7:55 pm

I was the opposite. Not that I'm rebelling now, but I was very quiet and proper growing up. When I hit my 20s I realized I could be my own person, and express myself how I choose. Well, my family absolutely hates me for that.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
08/16/16 9:02 am

Well, fuck em. You have a choice to make. Decide whether you want to associate with judgmental assholes (regardless of their relation to you) and roll with it. For the sake of your own happiness.

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/14/16 5:16 pm

No. It must've been pretty bad whatever you posted.

08/14/16 5:21 pm

I wouldn't be upset if it was bad. At least is actually understand why

08/14/16 5:14 pm

If I would have known it was is easy, I'd have done it years ago!πŸ˜‚

Actually it hurts a lot, but I can't do anything else but laugh. πŸ˜•

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/14/16 5:39 pm

Yeah, sometimes it is like that.

So hurtful and so absurd at the same time.

osouless Whats Next
08/14/16 7:51 pm

I still love you sis β€οΈπŸ‘«πŸ‘«

The Big sister i never had!

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:14 pm

Why entire family....all because I'm a lesbian!

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 5:15 pm

Well that's a pretty good reason

08/14/16 5:15 pm

Ugh. I'm sorry 😒 I can't imagine what would happen if I told them I was bisexual. I'm sure I'd lose close to all of them

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/14/16 5:17 pm

You sure it's not because you're just a jerk?

SouthernLaw Old North State
08/14/16 5:17 pm

Milo that's a terrible reason to disown someone.

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:18 pm

But Milo.... you're also gay.

My shitty attempt at a Milo Yiannopoulos joke

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:21 pm

It sucks, especially at first, "then I said to myself why let them ruin.....SUCH A WONDERFUL WORLD" But I'm serious I realized if they can't accept me, fuck them.

No cowboy I wasn't a bitch until they disowned me.

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:22 pm

Well someone woke up too close to their copy of mien kampf and or the bible.

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 5:25 pm

Both are good reads

SouthernLaw Old North State
08/14/16 5:30 pm

The hate here is disgusting- just leave her alone.

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:30 pm

On what is not fact, nor how to present yourself. Finish your sentences.

rons WOKE is sick
08/14/16 5:35 pm

Jenna, well your SOH family accepts you! At least I do.

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 5:37 pm

Jenna just needs a man in her life, then she'd be less angry and sad all the time

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 5:40 pm

See we agree on something πŸ‘πŸ»

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 5:42 pm

That was addressed to @rons

As for your comment I understand YOU may need men...lots of men in your life, but Mr. Yiannopoulos what you don't realize is that because I'm a lesbian I'm actually doing you a favour. What I mean is that because I'm attracted to women, that means there are more men for you!

ComradeJames nationalism
08/14/16 6:10 pm

And less women for us straight guys. Life's not fair...πŸ˜”

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/14/16 6:29 pm

Honestly I don't care. I really don't. Now if you snort coke and shoot up heroin, you better fucking run if you're my kid cause you'll die if I find out.

rons WOKE is sick
08/14/16 6:38 pm

Jenna and Milo have a baby! Then what?

JennaB Mother
08/14/16 6:40 pm

Sorry, I'm only adopting a child, (unless my future wife wants invetro)

rons WOKE is sick
08/14/16 6:42 pm

But, but, the opportunity with Milo!

SouthernLaw Old North State
08/14/16 6:47 pm

Lol that would be quite interesting.

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 9:10 pm

No thanks, I like woman that aren't mentally handicapped

KingMilo Earth
08/14/16 9:12 pm

And that shower

JennaB Mother
08/15/16 12:49 am

Mentally handicapped? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

firefly5 the verse
08/15/16 8:45 pm

Why do people get so bent out of shape over someone else's sexuality? I can think of absolutely no way that it impacts you. Why is it so important that everyone be like you?

Jenna, you are accepted and you are loved. Be you.

rons WOKE is sick
08/16/16 5:22 am

I second the motion. Jenna is great.

JennaB Mother
08/16/16 9:03 am

Thanks guys :3 I really appreciate it.