bringstheeagle Colorado
08/18/16 5:27 pm

I followed because you are on the recommended follow list. Congrats and welcome to SOH.

lmbofoh ohio
08/14/16 2:15 pm

It's mutilation. End it.

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/14/16 11:27 am

I don't care. Keep it I guess unless told otherwise. Hadn't had a problem with mine. I know a guy who didn't get one and he has a problem with his. Idc its choice really.

Maj Worth Economist
08/14/16 10:36 am

The US popularized circumcision because medical practitioners thought it would stop masturbation. People keep it going now because reasons. Most of them aren't very good. End it.

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 10:25 am

I don't think it can be justified, unless a family has religious reasons they want to maintain. (I know a man whose family went *against* their religion on this, though, because they feared persecution.) Health reasons have been debunked unless you're in a third-world environment. "But he won't look like Daddy" makes a little sense but really not a whole lot; it can be explained. And I've known a good number of boys in that situation who aren't the least bit warped by the experience (and they're all men now).

Seriously, if you think about it, if we *didn't* do routine circumcision and someone proposed doing it *now*, wouldn't we think they were totally nuts? Cut off *what*? Why?

lmbofoh ohio
08/14/16 2:15 pm

Not even religious reasons are good enough because the person it's being done to didn't consent

susanr Colorado
08/14/16 2:24 pm

That's a valid point. And it seems pretty hypocritical that some of us, at least, are highly critical of some religions (that shall remain nameless) that impose restrictions on some of their members that don't even involve bodily changes, much less pain, because they are, or at least seem like, oppressive measures.

Still, I think it's a somewhat touchy grey area that I, at least, am not yet willing to cross and declare that it should be made *illegal* for that reason. I'd really rather go with education and persuasive logic.

Compulsory vaccination, at least for some diseases, on the other hand, I'm less tolerant about. Because it affects far more people, I guess.

BarretDJ Toledo, OH
08/14/16 10:02 am

wrote a paper on this, that's still one of the primary reasons. Another, to mitigate health risks, although in today's hygienic-conscious society, pretty much nullify's that argument.

EarlyBird Portland
08/14/16 9:59 am

It's time to end it.

EarlyBird Portland
08/14/16 10:00 am

"Because I want my son to look like me" isn't a good enough reason anymore.