Shazam August 13th, 2016 9:14pm

If you grab a backpack, go for a walk in an area surrounded by trees, pitch a tent and spend the night, it's called " going camping." If you do the same thing downtown surrounded by buildings, it's called " being homeless." Do you find this odd too?

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
08/13/16 6:28 pm

And when I do it on your front lawn, it's called trespassing! Sheesh

rons WOKE is sick
08/13/16 5:49 pm

Driving the tent stakes into concrete is a bîtçh.

shoeless Texas
08/13/16 5:32 pm

Camping is a luxury. Sleeping in a bed with clean sheets is a luxury for the homeless. I find your question insensitive. Your follow up comment was not in line with the question. Ask about urban survival instead.

dfish at home
08/14/16 1:33 am

Enough calling stuff insensitive. It's nothing more than a whine. Get over it, suck it up and find something worth adding to the conversation

shoeless Texas
08/14/16 9:55 am

I didn't say offensive, rather than insensitive let's just call it what it is - ignorant and arrogant. You are right, insensitive is a cop out. Your question is just the actions of an ignorant arrogant jerk. That better?

MeanBrett Michigan
08/13/16 5:02 pm

Usually camping lasts a week or weekend. If a tent is someone's permanent home, I call them homeless

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
08/13/16 3:22 pm

Ok. Story behind this Q. Some of you know I do what I call "extreme camping." Go out for a couple of weeks with just a knife, some parachute cord, a pot and a wool blanket (if it's fall). Lots of vids on YouTube by "survivalists who go tramping around the woods in cotton camouflage "practicing" their woodsman skills they will need should stuff go bad. They'd be better off practicing those skills in town though. Assuming a mass catastrophe (or zombies! yay!), one would be much more likely to live if they knew how to live off the land in the city than in the woods. Which got me to thinking. Why isn't "urban survival" a thing? Hence, this question!

swervin Maryland
08/13/16 6:32 pm

Staying in a city with zombies is suicide. Everyone knows you go as far away from cities as possible.

kermie gaytopia
08/13/16 7:12 pm

That sounds like the worst thing I could imagine, but glad you enjoy it :)

Wino I need a drink
08/13/16 8:44 pm

I know a guy who gets dropped off in Alaskan Wilderness for a week each year and gets back to "base" by using minimal tools (ex-seal). His wife goes to the beach with the kids that same week. We joke as to which is worse (though none of us have ever offered to go with him). I will give him props on teaching me survival skills (though I still can't fish with my hands alone).

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
08/13/16 11:19 pm

WINO - you are pointing out the difference between what is currently called "survivalist" vs "bushcrafter." Survivalists have "bug-out-bags or "BOBs, and practice getting home in a bad environment - they try to find their way out of the woods. Bushcrafters have "I'm-Never-Coming-Home bags or INCHs," and practice intentionally going into the wild with minimal stuff and thriving in that environment. Lots of similarities in skill sets, but huge difference in intent. This kid is one of the best I've seen, although he doesn't actually stay out when he does this stuff, and instead goes home each night. Watch the "tiled roof vid" after this one: youtu.be/nCKkHqlx9dE

dfish at home
08/14/16 1:35 am

I like the inspiration for the question a lot more than the poll itself

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/13/16 3:20 pm

Depends. People camp on Black Friday outside Walmart. Then get killed because they were stampeded to death.

dfish at home
08/14/16 1:35 am

It's dangerous out there in the wild

gow488 Korea
08/13/16 2:43 pm

Camping lasts a few days and not years.

jlong105 Indiana
08/13/16 2:39 pm

Loony on this one. Big difference in choosing to spend a week or two camping and camping because you have no where else to go.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/13/16 2:37 pm

It's not odd. Campers have a home to return to.

TheSocialist INTJ
08/13/16 2:25 pm

If you can't go inside then it is homelessness.