Show Of Hands August 12th, 2016 7:45pm

Libertarians and independents, if the election were held today would you be more likely to vote for one of the two-party candidates or for a third party? (8/12/2016)

jazzman11 Juneau, AK
10/09/16 2:05 pm

Hold myself and others accountable to that, which I know to be right, lest our families, our faith, and our society continue down an undesirable path. That makes my vote simple. No little d nor big R for me this year.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
08/18/16 8:31 am

If your voting for a 3rd party, don't waste your time & gas to go vote, unless the "feel good" doing it, is worth it to you😉

skacey best poll is evenly split
08/25/16 7:43 am

Are you happy with the two choices offered by the red and blue parties?

spitfire1
08/15/16 9:32 am

I don't feel like gary is a true libertarian so i plan on voting 4 trump cause he's pro gun and pro life

08/14/16 7:09 pm

Cowboy I realize you are trolling but some cannot tell. I appreciate you're supporting Gary Johnson, but please don't smear the reputation of liberty supporters by mislabelling people and their political philosophy.

08/14/16 7:21 pm

Don't blame me because you don't know that Barry Soetoro and Hillary Clinton are Marxists. 🙄

08/14/16 7:23 pm

Seriously man, you're tarnishing the reputation of Johnson supporters. Please. Not begging, but almost

08/14/16 7:24 pm

It's not my fault that they're Marxists. 🙄

08/14/16 7:36 pm

Just educate yourself on Barry Soetoro and Hillary Clinton. That's all.

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:22 am

I voted Third Party in the last Presidential Election and plan to again in this Election. Vote for #Liberty!

webdrifter
08/13/16 4:01 am

SoH I will no longer participate in your binary biased political position, until I start seeing all established U.S. political parties and their candidates.

jdecker8887
08/12/16 11:59 pm

I really hate to vote Trump but Hillary winning is unacceptable.

08/13/16 12:32 am

Johnson is taking more votes from Hillary than Trump. Please vote your conscience, not the lesser of two terrible evils.

08/13/16 2:26 pm

Johnson is a statist. He's just the lesser of three evils.

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:25 am

I was hoping the LP would have chosen Austin Petersen as the nominee, but they did not. I will be voting for Gary Johnson again.

Corbination Oklahoma
08/12/16 11:38 pm

Darrell Castle if the Constitution Party is way more libertarian than Johnson.

08/12/16 11:44 pm

Not at all he is against free trade, is an interventionist, doesn't want too end the drug war,etc. Johnson has like two non-libertarian stances which are him being for planned parenthood funding and him being for anti-discrimination laws.

08/13/16 2:28 pm

Between those two stances, Johnson rejects about half a dozen constitutional liberties.

Corbination Oklahoma
08/13/16 2:31 pm

Castle is a noninterventionist and against the drug war. Trade he's a bit shakey on but protectionism and the current trade policies which are crony "free" trade agreements like the TPP which Johnson supports are equally bad.

08/13/16 2:48 pm

Wrong I checked his website the parties it said they are pro drug war

Corbination Oklahoma
08/13/16 2:59 pm

Where did you see that? Maybe the official party stance but Castle openly supports decriminalizing drugs. Only areas where he could be considered "less libertarian" than Gary (quotations because I don't think these are unlibertarian) are that he is pro-life and supports securing the borders which I am strongly for. If you follow libertarian politics much you'd know there's many very well known paleolibertarians who are for closed borders and make great arguments to why. Open borders is the biggest reason that I can't support Gary Johnson.

08/13/16 3:00 pm

Pro life is the libertarian position, too.

08/13/16 3:01 pm

It's open boarders no welfare state illegals would be harmless too the ecomomy then also the party platform is where I saw that

08/13/16 3:02 pm

It's less popular of the 5 final candidates 4 were pro choice only one was prolife

Corbination Oklahoma
08/13/16 3:05 pm

There is much more to the problem of immigration than illegals seeking welfare. It's a cultural issue of allowing people who don't share western values of property rights, order, and liberty to come and infiltrate a culture built by Europeans on these values.

08/13/16 3:07 pm

An illegals mainly from El Salvador and Mexico are seeking there profit and money like the American Dream has it

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:27 am

The Constitution Party and Green Party will not be on all 50 ballots, Gary Johnson will be.

LtCrisco23 Unabashed Millennial
08/12/16 9:52 pm

Why do people think Johnson is a progressive lol is it because he's socially liberal like 3/4 of libertarians? And the one issue he's non libertarian on, religious freedom, is enough to not vote for him? Rather Hillary or trump? Really? Tf is wrong with you, purists and "conservatarians".

08/12/16 11:44 pm

Agreed

08/13/16 2:31 pm

"And the one issue he's non libertarian on, religious freedom, is enough to not vote for him?"

Damn straight it's enough! I mean, in addition to the 4 or 5 Constitutional infractions required to take his position, religious liberty appears on The Big List of Stuff I'm Willing to Die in a War Over. Of COURSE it's a big enough problem!

08/13/16 2:48 pm

He's ten times more the constitutionalist then anyone running lol have fun picking a shitty candidate because of one issue

LtCrisco23 Unabashed Millennial
08/13/16 2:49 pm

Vote for Evan McMullin then. He's your other independent conservative option. Who's actually going to be on some/most ballots, unlike cruzer the loser. But GJ cares about private business rights. He just poorly explains himself and is moderate on the issue.

08/13/16 2:51 pm

Name one constitutionalist in the general election he is close enough the only stance he is non-constitutionalist is anti-discrimination vs trump which he is pro-patriot act, pro-fly no buy, pro-water boarding , pro-death penalty

08/13/16 2:52 pm

I'm voting for Cruz because I want it obvious and undeniable that the Republican Party could have had my vote.

The odds this year of electing a good candidate are zero. I'm using my vote to help steer a major party, instead.

08/13/16 2:54 pm

Haha write in is fucking awful also Cruz is pro-patriot and pro-drug war have fun with your "constitutionalist"

08/13/16 2:58 pm

"Experience informs us that the first defense of weak minds is to recriminate."

The fact remains, Ted Cruz's version of the Patriot act is not on The Big List of Stuff I'm Willing to Die in a War Over, and Johnson's abandonment of the 1st, 5th, 9th, and 13th amendments is. If he wanted my vote, he shouldn't have endorsed tyranny.

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:30 am

Austin Petersen said that if you are not accused of being a Progressive, a Conservative and a Libertarian all in the same day, you are provably not a Libertarian.

08/14/16 2:15 pm

Had they nominated him, I might've voted for them.

Alex619 California
08/12/16 9:39 pm

Never will I vote for the secular progressive Gary Johnson, they should be running in the Green Party.

The libertarian party is a disaster now, they posted some free the nipple garbage on FB this week, unliked that crap and said good to the bye.

08/13/16 12:34 am

I mean, to be honest, no reason for the female nipple to be censored....

And Johnson is, I think we can all agree, a far better option than the horse shit that is the major candidates

08/13/16 2:35 pm

No. At very best, he would be mildly better.

He would also discredit libertarianism for a generation.

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:37 am

Cary Johnson has not chance of winning, but if enough people vote for him, it will open the door for an Austin Petersen in future Presidential Elections. I am choosing the Liberty Movement over the corrupt Democrats and Republicans. Let's shake things up!

08/14/16 2:19 pm

The Libertarians nominated a statist. Why choose the corrupt Libertarians over the corrupt Republicans and Democrats?

08/12/16 8:49 pm

I'm voting for a Republican who is no longer running.

08/13/16 2:25 pm

Yes, we know you're voting for Retard, Carcano.

Shua01 Ohio
08/14/16 9:39 am

I thought about writing in Rand Paul, but I want to help the Liberty Movement. Plus we need Rand in the Senate.

08/14/16 2:18 pm

The benefit in writing in RP is it would be an effort to sway a major party. If everyone writes in small government Republicans, maybe the Republicans will get a clue and start shrinking the government.

LochnessMonsta tree fiddy
08/12/16 8:43 pm

My boi Gary racking up those stacks

Harambe Cincinnati Zoo
08/12/16 8:10 pm

Harambe for President!

Spiritof76 USA 1776
08/12/16 7:59 pm

Johnson and Weld need at least 15% folks. Once they get that, they will be on the debate stage with the Dem/Rep scumbags.

Alex619 California
08/12/16 9:40 pm

It will be disastrous if those progressives get on the debate stage.

08/12/16 11:45 pm

No they only need 12 percent they lowered the threshold too within margin of error of 15 which is 12 percent

truspec Texas
08/12/16 7:05 pm

Trump is too dangerous in my opinion to not vote for Hillary. Why couldn't the Republicans pick someone sane so I could vote 3rd party?

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
08/12/16 7:03 pm

I want to vote third party (I'm independent). However I'm still not convinced it's going to get enough traction. That might change in the coming months; we shall see.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
08/12/16 8:01 pm

It's up to you to help them get traction and not settle for the corrupt egotistical maniacs on the big tickets. Unfortunately, too many choose to just give up.

Macmurphy35 Alabama
08/12/16 5:55 pm

Independent but definitely lean left. Voting for Hillary Clinton.

gonzoboy Arizona
08/12/16 5:45 pm

Actually, though he's running on the Republican ticket,
I believe Trump -IS- a third-Party candidate...

shnibbydawhale Nihilist
08/12/16 5:34 pm

Gary Johnson. Best candidate in the race by far.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/12/16 5:26 pm

Still hoping Stein makes an effort to undo the damage she's done. Otherwise, it will be Clinton as the only one left. Or I just don't vote at all, but the chance of Trump winning if I sit it out takes away that option too.

hannahanderson Sammamish, WA
08/13/16 7:01 pm

What damage do you think she's done?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/13/16 8:24 pm

She undermined her credibility by first giving the only correct answer to a question about mandatory vaccinations, "yes", then later suggesting that the vaccination approval process in this country might be subject to corporate influence, nonsense that can only be seen as pandering to anti-vaxxers. Not only does allowing that impression to persist do herself a disservice as a medical professional, it helps feeds the notion that the Green Party is just a bunch of crazies - like the anti-vaxxers. Including "...put a moratorium on GMOs and pesticides until they are proven safe" in her platform, knowing full well the extent to which they already have been, feeds the same notion. These seem like small points, but she should address them directly. Added to the already hard-to-swallow platform, opposing nuclear energy for example, makes me worry that the worst of what is wrong with the Green Party might already have rubbed off on her.

08/13/16 9:02 pm

The only correct answer to mandatory vaccinations is no.

You on the left need to learn to be as careful with mandates as we are with guns. Because you can do just as much harm with the former as the latter.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
08/12/16 4:33 pm

It's a toss-up. My vote is not yet firmly decided.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
08/12/16 4:03 pm

I'm voting for Johnson.

At this point, there is no way I'd even entertain possibly voting for Clinton or Trump. Johnson is far better than those two.

ncbuc Get Over It
08/12/16 3:50 pm

Funny enough...The only party I've been registered as was democrat. After moving to NC in 1999. I've been registered as unaffiliated. I actually vowed to stop voting for either party and only vote 3rd.
Yet this year...I have found myself voting for Trump. Frankly...both parties and the politically correct don't like him. And that tells me all I need to know.
I voted for a Clinton once and I believe that was enough. I'll be content in knowing I didn't enable her to be the first woman president.
I mean honestly, we as a nation couldn't pick another woman to make history? You could swing a dead cat in a semi crowded room of women and hit someone better.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/12/16 4:15 pm

LoL @ that last line. That was a good one.

ncbuc Get Over It
08/12/16 4:28 pm

It's actually adapted from a phrase one of my close friends always says about his home state of West Virginia. "Swing a dead cat and you hit someone from West Virginia". It's not far from truth (at least in NC) Have a story to prove it.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/12/16 4:30 pm

OMG, too funny. My g/f lives in NC and she's originally from WV.

ncbuc Get Over It
08/12/16 4:40 pm

Lol. I'm telling you Krystina. After he busted out that phrase...I laughed. But it's true. I have friends from 4 different areas of WV. And I can't go more than two days without seeing a WV badge on someone's car.

Amaranth Iowa
08/12/16 3:50 pm

If you voted blue you're a pathetic excuse for a person

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/12/16 3:41 pm

I'm not overly pleased with any of the candidates, but I'm firmly entrenched in the #neverHillary camp. I believe with every fiber of my being that she belongs in jail. So, I'll take Mr. Inappropriate as an alternative, albeit not the most desirable of alternatives, but far better than allowing Hillary the Corrupt to run this nation.

ncbuc Get Over It
08/12/16 4:11 pm

I'm not religious...but Amen sister.

Sorry...I meant A-fucking-men sister.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/12/16 4:13 pm

I'll take that and I'm not religious either. 😉

ncbuc Get Over It
08/12/16 4:47 pm

It's such an easy way of saying "I agree". At least give religion that..."can I get an amen?"

08/13/16 12:37 am

Or you could go with an option that is neither corrupt nor off-the-reservation...

smoothboy1982 Lexington Ky
08/12/16 3:22 pm

If Johnson would be more aggressive he could get more media time. He is the best pick for president and I'm not even that much of a fan of his. He has low energy and doesn't speak up

Gstamatinos New York
08/12/16 2:45 pm

Finally, I never pick a poison when u ask "killary or pumpkin", this was a good poll I approve 👍🏿

bluejayguy26 Principle over Party
08/12/16 2:25 pm

Thank you for finally having one of these types of polls, SOH. I've actually quit voting on the Clinton vs. Trump polls because I will not be voting for either.

badgerben Las Vegas
08/12/16 1:52 pm

In many states I would consider voting for a third party candidate if for no other reason than to vote my conscience. However, living in a swing state there are more factors.

rambo088 kansas
08/12/16 1:35 pm

Vermin supreme. Johnson is more of a joke than he is.

Volt Florida

Gary fucking Johnson

Volt Florida
08/12/16 1:10 pm

Gary Johnson for sure

Malekithe Resist
08/12/16 2:14 pm

I notice the other question has Clinton and Sanders as options.
This one had neither Trump nor Cruz

08/12/16 12:53 pm

Gary Johnsonx

08/12/16 12:53 pm

Johnson*

Alex619 California
08/12/16 9:42 pm

Cowboy you're really on the Johnson bandwagon? That's really surprising to me......

The libertarian party has been taken over by secular progressives. They said they would appoint progressive justices to the court, the same ones Obama and Hillary would!

08/12/16 11:48 pm

No he stated in a townhall the other day he would appoint judges who follow the constitution so stop spreading conservative lies get off info wars asshole

08/13/16 12:40 am

Realize, please, that progressive as a term doesn't mean anti-freedom. In fact, a lot of the time it means the opposite. Legalization of marijuana, updating marriage laws to include same-sex couples... these are pro-freedom, progressive stances. So be sure to know exactly what you're criticizing and why

08/13/16 5:22 am

Gary Johnson isn't a Marxist so I know that he wouldn't appoint the same judges they would.

ObeseChipmunk MINNESOTA
08/14/16 7:01 pm

Obama and Hillary are not Marxists

08/14/16 7:02 pm

LOL! That was a good one! 😂

08/14/16 7:04 pm

They aren't Marxists lmao they are liberals which are slightly right on the political spectrum

08/14/16 7:06 pm

LOL! 😂😂😂😂

ObeseChipmunk MINNESOTA
08/14/16 7:07 pm

Cowboy are you actually serious.... Communists use "liberal" as an insult. Obama and Hillary are capitalists and they have no intention of establishing communism

08/14/16 7:09 pm

Stop it now. You're killing me! 😂😂😂😂

08/14/16 7:10 pm

Cowboy, please see the top of this comment section.

08/14/16 7:12 pm

Everyone here arguing with Cowboy: he is somewhat of a troll that sometimes actually expresses his beliefs and other times comments for fun. It would seem in this particular case it is the latter. Please do not think all, or even a few, Johnson supporters think this way, as I assure you they do not. Thank you.

08/14/16 7:13 pm

No. You just don't know that Barry Soetoro and Hillary are Marxists.

08/14/16 7:14 pm

Dude seriously knock it off

08/14/16 7:23 pm

I will not stop speaking the truth. Deal with it.

08/14/16 7:25 pm

They aren't Marxists they don't want too seize the means of production they don't want too have a state controlled redistribution of wealth too make everyone equal it's not truth it's your autism that shows

08/14/16 7:27 pm

You guys are too funny! 😂😂😂😂

08/14/16 7:28 pm

Ok you are a troll or autistic. I'm gonna leave you be

08/14/16 7:29 pm

If you are in fact not trolling (which you are, but let's entertain the notion that you aren't), then please read, oh I don't know, the definition of Marxism from Wikipedia or something. Then read Hillary's platform. Then come back to us.

08/14/16 7:31 pm

No. You're just willfully ignorant of who Barry Soetoro and Hillary is. That's all. Don't blame me.

08/14/16 7:37 pm

LOL! Wikipedia! That's hilarious! 😂😂😂😂

08/14/16 7:39 pm

Wikipedia cites sources on the bottom of the page and has people who fact check pages daily it's accurate and reliable

08/14/16 7:40 pm

Wikipedia now has mandatory sourcing. Nice try

08/14/16 7:40 pm

LOL! 😂 Well that explains your ignorance then. 😂

08/14/16 7:40 pm

Seriously dude stop trolling. You'd be better off playing a computer game if you want to just have some fun

08/14/16 7:42 pm

Is there a way too block people I want too block this guy trolls are the worst

08/14/16 7:42 pm

You should just educate yourself.

08/14/16 7:43 pm