lcamino Florida and Georgia
08/13/16 11:45 pm

I wouldn't want to send a child to public school to be exposed to this.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/12/16 6:53 pm

But what's next? How far can we go? It's 2016, it's time to let people identify as whatever species they want.

I identify as a purple unicorn.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
08/12/16 12:37 pm

I prefer unicorn manwoman

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 11:42 am

Which mascot do you like better for public schools to teach your kids that they can be whatever gender they want to be? It was the genderbread manwoman but now it's the unicorn manwoman.

reaganist Virtual Congress Justice
08/12/16 11:43 am

Neither. They cannot be any gender they want. You cannot change chromosomes. This has to be a joke lol.

reaganist Virtual Congress Justice
08/12/16 11:45 am

Ah ok. Didn't realize there was a link. So you're not in support of this?

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 11:47 am

Haha no, no I'm sane.

sydwel
08/12/16 11:32 am

No, I don't think having a basic understanding of the difference between biological sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation means someone is being brainwashed. Nor do I think we should treat LGBT+ people like shit.

I'm assuming that's the implied question here, based on the link.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 11:44 am

You should never assume without facts....

sydwel
08/12/16 11:49 am

A poll question in an app is a pretty benign thing to make an assumption about, but yes, please do clarify and I'll respond to your question. I'll just let the other stand as my response to the linked article.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 11:51 am

sydwel
08/12/16 11:53 am

I'll go with no mascot, just clearly explain what sexual orientation is, etc. as part of comprehensive sex education.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 11:54 am

So you're cool with this being part of public education?

sydwel
08/12/16 11:57 am

Informing children about the existence of LGBT+ individuals? And not promoting maltreatment of those folks? Yeah, that's pretty basic stuff.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 12:01 pm

You realize that public schools are taxpayer funded right? Over half the country is not in support of these types of things being taught in school.

sydwel
08/12/16 12:04 pm

Yes, I absolutely do favor comprehensive sex education (including acknowledgement of LGBT+ people) and think we'd be better off if every child had access to such an education.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 12:10 pm

Let me put this into perspective for you. I personally feel that all public schools should be teaching kids about Jesus. You don't see me forcing that issue on you through public schools do you? So just because you believe that transgenderism should be taught doesn't mean you should force it on those of us who do not agree. Make sense?

sydwel
08/12/16 12:21 pm

This is not about a lack of understanding. I understand your comments and I disagree. 1) Protections are in place to prevent forced participation in religious practices in public schools (although religion can, of course, be studied). 2) People who describe themselves as transgender do exist (read the news), even if you don't approve of them, think they're confused, whatever. Acknowledging that is not about belief. 3) As you mentioned earlier, yes, not everyone in the US supports sex education or thinks LGBT individuals should be treated like humans. This is why some states have abysmal "education" programs that set kids up for problems down the road

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 12:24 pm

Ok I get it. You support a double standard for the things that you agree with. No need to keep going back and forth.

sydwel
08/12/16 12:33 pm

I'm not going back and forth. I am consistently in favor of my stated position. I think X, you think Y. I disagree with Y, but that's not a double standard. That's an opposing position. I would hold your example of religion to the same standard. Teach about the existence of Christianity and major events, don't force anyone to worship your God. Teach about the existence of LGBT people and historical events, don't force anyone to identify as LGBT against their will. And ultimately, discourage poor treatment of people based on religion, gender, or sexuality.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 12:54 pm

A kid cannot speak about Christ in public school. He cannot use the Bible as a book of choice for school projects. He cannot mention Jesus name in a book report. He cannot see or show the Ten Commandments. So you are ok with trans people not being able to talk about themselves being trans in public school? You ok with them not being able to do a book report on the subject? If not then it's a double standard

sydwel
08/12/16 1:00 pm

Umm no. No child should be punished for saying "I believe in Christ," nor should any child be punished for saying "I am transgender." No one should be in trouble for researching the Ten Commandments on a school computer or be in trouble for writing a research report that is relevant to the class they are in. Any of those things would be ridiculous.

sydwel
08/12/16 1:06 pm

And I'd like to see those court cases that you think prevent all acknowledgement of the existence of religion in public schools.

WhyBotherVoting
08/12/16 1:27 pm

News from just last week. Coach was fired for praying with football team. If that's the standard then I want a coach who's dressing as a woman to be fired when doing that with the football team.