Show Of Hands June 30th, 2013 1:48am

Are you on non-speaking terms with any members of your immediate or extended family?

FullMoon probably going to hell
07/08/13 6:31 am

My aunt has paranoid schizophrenia. So we don't like speaking to her.

iamgermanmade
07/06/13 8:30 pm

I have a physo grandmother by blood, but she's not legally now. She kidnapped by bro and sis and said she would kill my grandmother (That I live with today) B_tchs still living somewhere in the city.

mathmama
07/06/13 5:53 pm

I voted no, but do ex in laws count? Lol! Glad to be on non speaking terms with my ex's dad!!!

wingman646 Jacksonville
07/05/13 4:35 pm

And wouldn't you know it, it's because of the same-sex marriage debate. It's a shame people are so close-minded and intolerant. I just can't understand why they can't see that SSM is completely wrong.

mrcoyote Casa Grande
07/04/13 7:51 am

If i ever het the chance im killing my uncles allen, jeff and matt and their wives. They can BURN for all i care

embella09 Illinois
07/03/13 10:12 pm

I'm of Italian descent. It's in our DNA to always have some family member we're not speaking to.

Rotavele Alabama
07/03/13 4:41 pm

My dad mitt was a really good father growing up. We quit talking a few years ago when he told the family he was considering being a liberal and moving to Massachusetts. He opened Bain capital and became a republican, now we talk again.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
07/03/13 4:35 am

I'm not on non speaking terms but other members are (or at least lesser speaking terms on certain subjects) so they come to me to see if I learn anything new. I don't know why they bother. They know I don't want to be in the middle.

MoonFireDancer New Jersey
07/02/13 4:28 pm

I cut off contact with my family when I left for college changing my name, religion and complete style. I've worked my but off for years to be able to pay my way through college by myself. Even tho I work as a bartender for extra stiff I'm happy

Ivyra Earth
07/01/13 9:05 pm

I have not spoken with my godfather for at least 3 years; my mother, his sister, has not either.

Nukimo NC Dreaming of Far Away
06/30/13 9:44 pm

To gain "total control" over my now deceased fathers finances, my sister? lied & manipulated him into signing power-of-attorney in her name though he signed one 4 me when he had full faculties. She spread malicious rumors & cut me out of family.

bluescrubz
06/30/13 9:10 pm

I have stopped talking to my family for several reasons. I was very close to everyone at one point until they started blaming me for my fathers illness a few years back and since then my father has threatened to kill my partner.

LilWing00
06/30/13 8:19 pm

I'm not speaking to my mom currently. She's an alcoholic and has other issues she's not ready to deal with right now. Once she is, I'm open to trying again but for now I can't have the vicious cycle of fighting in my life.

LilWing00
06/30/13 8:20 pm

My aunt, uncle, and cousin don't talk with me or my brother bc they are rich snobs who think they r above us. I know... Life is too short but sometimes u just can't reason with ppl no matter how hard u try.

crzysxycool Staten Island
06/30/13 8:10 pm

My cousin, and it all started because I sent him a picture text of "T-Rex hates push-ups". I guess he took it the wrong way and blew up. I still find the whole fight and picture funny.

joyfully
06/30/13 7:06 pm

Sadly yes not due to any fault of mine but because of my dad the only family I can talk to is my older sister but when I move out that's all going to change

Sam95 Nebraska
06/30/13 5:37 pm

Unfortunately yes, my dads whole side of the family, which is big. I was probably 2 last time I saw any of them(17 now). I feel awful for my dad. His family basically left him out. Dont know how he goes without seeing his parents, brothers, & sister.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
06/30/13 5:19 pm

Hold your family close. You never know when you might need them.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
06/30/13 2:43 pm

Do brother-in-laws separated for over a year count?

donna0987 Indiana
06/30/13 1:35 pm

Every family has at least one village idiot.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
06/30/13 12:41 pm

There was once 3 brothers, they got into a terrible fight, they went they're own ways.. So there are whole branches of family that we don't talk to... Very sad..

stickman46 NJ
06/30/13 12:34 pm

Reading all these comments makes me sad, but I realize how lucky I am - no feuds in my family.

queequeg California
06/30/13 12:26 pm

One of my uncles is estranged and I've never spoken to him...does that count?

ladyniner81 I hate people
06/30/13 12:09 pm

I got to give credit to my mom though, my aunt and uncle (her aunt and uncle) lived with my grandmother and stole money from her, plus when my grandmother died, she took over the funeral and did it her way, against what my grandmother wished, My mother was so pissed, she didn't speak to her a

ladyniner81 I hate people
06/30/13 12:11 pm

before she died. but she called. and I wouldn't talk to her either.

delcritter
06/30/13 11:40 am

I have 2 siblings that do nothing for my 82 yr old mother that lives with us. when she visits back home she has to find somewhere else to stay because my siblings prefer not to make any room for here but does for their other relatives.

deosil WA
06/30/13 9:02 am

The only bio family I have is my mom. Several years ago we turned in my grandma and uncle for child abuse (both had a history of it.) Our relatives sided with them and disowned us. It hurt but it was the right thing to do.

ClarityRose Now taking suggestions
06/30/13 6:30 am

Yep. Quite a few actually. I would gladly talk to them again if they were interested in having an adult conversation. Not much chance of that happening, though.

paidert1 Columbus, Ohio
06/30/13 5:56 am

Yes. My psychotic sister. I had to take her children away from her and raise them because she nearly killed them. And child services would've given them back to her if I hadn't step in and fought it. Another useless government entity.

deosil WA
06/30/13 9:05 am

I'm thankful for people like you who have the guts to do what is right. It's an awful situation and you stepped up and saved those kids. You're a hero:)

paidert1 Columbus, Ohio
06/30/13 5:33 pm

Thanks! That's nice of you to say.

Userperson merry passover
06/30/13 5:24 am

I tried to... my brother is really... violent

s4mm1 MD SLP
06/30/13 5:10 am

I have an aunt that treats my grandmother with so little respect it infuriates me beyond belief. I avoid her at all costs and one day she is going to get an ear full. My grandmother bought her house because it was going to be foreclosed on and moved

s4mm1 MD SLP
06/30/13 5:11 am

In so they could keep their house and my aunt and her oldest daughter make my 85 year old grandmother do all of the cooking and cleaning and are nasty to her. I wish she'd kick them out of the house

whatnow
06/30/13 5:02 am

I'll be cordial and speak to any of them, but there are several who I don't care for much.

panamera Vermont
06/30/13 4:28 am

I have cousins I took in when they lost their home. In the few months they were there they stole things, broke things and ran up my utility bills. They are gone! I hope to never see them again in my life.

panamera Vermont
06/30/13 4:35 am

Just because we are related by blood doesn't make them family.

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
06/30/13 4:18 am

It's difficult to converse with my sister as she is a very self-centered, negative person who cares little for our elderly mom. My son is estranged from me probably because my marriage to his dad fell apart and it is the great heartbreak of my life.

gtgconfused
06/30/13 3:06 am

I'm not on speaking terms with the bulk of them. Only speak with stepmother and sister-in-law.

wookiecookie
06/30/13 2:15 am

My 'father' who was my everything until he walked out when I was 8, then tried to come back into my life when I was 14. And get this, he showed up with no story as to why he had left, and had the audacity to hand me a card with 100$ in it.

deosil WA
06/30/13 9:10 am

My fathers a proverbial sperm donor. I was greatful he left when I was an infant and I never saw him again. My grandpa however became my father figure until about age 7 or 8. After he left my grandma he stopped talking to me. I will never get why.

Loadmaster Sacto
06/30/13 1:15 am

There is nothing that will repair the bond between me and my sister. She proved to me that one's family is a choice, that water is indeed thicker than blood.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/30/13 1:05 am

Nah. I'm not good at holding grudges. :)

jeffrey306 steel town
06/30/13 12:59 am

My sister seems to think she is above everybody else. I have no idea why. I have no desire to be judged so I stopped putting the effort in. Apparently I was the only one putting effort in. Such is life.

slytherin Los Angeles
06/30/13 12:44 am

My birth mother. She was extremely abusive sexually, emotionally, physically, and psychologically. I tried to give her a chance to try to mend what she has done, and she threw it in my face. She disowned me, and I'm so thankful that she did. It's on

slytherin Los Angeles
06/30/13 12:45 am

Her shoulders, and I didn't have to do anything to get rid of her.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
06/29/13 11:55 pm

My sperm donors side of the family, one of them even tried to friend me on Facebook, no thank you, request denied. On my moms side there's 4 aunts and an uncle and my brother. I don't do drama and if that's all you got, I don't have time for you.

abbeylove Syracuse, NY
06/29/13 11:42 pm

Yea half of my family

prterri
06/29/13 11:17 pm

One of my sisters won't speak to me unless we're in public and I speak to her first. She almost didn't come to our mom's funeral because I was going to be there. Sad thing is how our other siblings are made to feel like they have to chose sides at family events.

ssmcrorvr
06/30/13 4:44 am

sounds like my brother and I, unfortunately it is because of the woman he has chosen to live his life with.
she has alienated him from speaking to all but one of our siblings which is saying a lot since I am oldest of
eight.

smtimberman
06/29/13 11:15 pm

No one is on non talking terms. But there are definitely some family members I avoid if I can.

Kay41 the Midwest
06/29/13 10:59 pm

Thankfully, no. We actually all get along pretty well.

nero101 Illinois
06/29/13 10:47 pm

No. It's best to keep good relations with all members of your family, even if you hate their guts, keep it inside.

nero101 Illinois
06/30/13 8:10 pm

I mean no need to bluntly tell them or imply it.

chivalry74
06/29/13 10:45 pm

My step sis isn't speaking to me but I'm speaking to her. I don't participate in those games

deathvalley Chicago native
06/29/13 10:33 pm

My mother left my dad and i when I was 17, disappeared for 2 years and tried to pretend nothing happened.
The last 10 years has been on and off talking... Right now, we're off!