Show Of Hands June 30th, 2013 1:44am

Are you willing to pay extra for organic food?

HopefulChaos ohio
07/10/13 9:06 pm

Too broke to do so, but in the future yes. I hope.

teamseth97 Florida
07/05/13 8:27 pm

Weird how you have to spend more money to be more healthy

rons on top of the world MA
07/08/13 1:03 pm

Nobody said you'd be healthier with OF. Its a calorie thing.

mrcoyote Casa Grande
07/04/13 7:48 am

Theres actually no difference except for the fact that organic rots faster. Watch a show called Penn and Teller's Bullshit they have an episode of it. And i work next to an organic farm and they use pesticides that are 10 times worse. Just sayin

Rotavele Alabama
07/03/13 4:42 pm

Yeah. I always get the chicken nugget combo instead of a McDouble off the dollar menu.

nickanator48 wisconsin
07/02/13 10:14 pm

If you like organic because of the quality or taste that's one thing but there is no health benefit from eating organic over traditional foods

MoonFireDancer New Jersey
07/02/13 4:36 pm

I can only afford a few organic things right now...plus I don't have enough time to make healthy meals most of the time. It's sad I know

brie159
07/02/13 2:32 pm

Maybe all natural/ organic. Personally the quality is better to me. Healthy isn't always organic though. You can have organic chocolate cake and obviously that's not good for you. I just prefer to eat healthy foods.

Piggadillo one of the good guys
07/02/13 10:11 am

Organic is the wrong word! It's a stupid buzz word that people have clung to like bees to honey! They should be saying something like all natural or pesticide free. That would be closer to what they are looking for.

Ivyra Earth
07/01/13 9:06 pm

I think it would make sense for organic food to cost less, then people might actually be healthier

theNobamist Silicon Valley
07/01/13 2:43 pm

Most of the "organic" is marketing bs. And no, I don't want my food fertilized by Pedro taking a dump on it. Look up the videos.

rcgrant south carolina
07/01/13 2:11 pm

mmm..I can growm and raise my own..that whole industry is a scam

johninsandiego San Diego CA
07/01/13 11:43 am

I remember seeing the results of a study done a few years back that concluded, 'at best, organic food is no worse for you than regularly grown food'. I wish I could remember where.

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
07/03/13 4:21 am

Please let us know if you figure out where. I'm curious.

daricksta georgia
07/01/13 8:03 am

why would i pay more for food that is fucking disgusting

Marintintin In the Woods
06/30/13 11:49 pm

I would rather pay than have gmo tasteless, chemical crap

nickanator48 wisconsin
07/02/13 10:16 pm

What is this "crap" your talking about? The food I eat is pretty good

libra87
06/30/13 10:33 pm

No Pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colors or flavors, GMOs, artificial preservatives that give me migraines? Hellll yesss.

tasalley North Carolina
07/01/13 7:23 am

Check the FDA standard for labeling food. I was surprised to learn certain pesticides can be used.

bluescrubz
06/30/13 9:12 pm

It's hard enough to find a good deal on produce to begin with, I'm not paying extra for organic food.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:23 am

Then you'll pay extra in healthcare down the line. I'd rather pay for better tasting food now that, as a bonus, helps to save our environment. Too bad so many Americans are all about instant gratification (pay less money now).

aikona
07/07/13 9:01 am

Grad - organic food isn't necessarily healthier or better for the environment. 'Organic' is poorly defined in the industry, and is more a marketing strategy as a way to fatten prices. You're paying more for peace of mind, not health

theflash greater NYC
06/30/13 8:53 pm

The food we eat should be organic in the first place.

Christ.

Cheers!

brianparks69 charlotte
06/30/13 8:41 pm

I prefer to grow my own organic food...even feed my chickens organic and the eggs are great! Once you get going growing organic food is not difficult, but it does take time to get used to doing things the right way.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
06/30/13 6:32 pm

Yes, for some things, but not for health reasons. I'm totally for taking better care of our farmland through less use of pesticides. But I auto-eye roll at people who claim that organic is more nutritious or that non-organic will give you cancer.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:25 am

Then you haven't read the studies of how pesticides cause gene mutations. Gene mutations = cancer down the line...or ADHD in your kids, or obesity (why is America so fat?), or INFERTILITY! (IVF treatments on the rise...)

nickanator48 wisconsin
07/02/13 10:18 pm

That's just not true. America isn't fat from pesticides.

aikona
07/07/13 9:02 am

Organic doesn't mean pesticide-free.

purplemonkey New York
06/30/13 6:18 pm

some of the comments on here show me just how truly ignorant some of you are..sad

tasalley North Carolina
06/30/13 6:18 pm

putting the label, Organic, on a food product just means you've meet standards set by the FDA. Standards that have never been updated. Now pay more for fresh, or locally grown food, that I'll do.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:26 am

Organic still less contaminated than conventional - although local organic from a farmer is always best.

tasalley North Carolina
07/01/13 7:18 am

Onw would think so but that's not always the case. The FDA standard for Organic food list approved pesticides that can be used. That list is about 40 yrs old. Newer, safer pesticides have become the industry standard but the list hasn't changed; that would take an act of Congress.

roybiker12
06/30/13 5:52 pm

I always thought that people who were obsessive about organic foods would also avoid modern medicine...you know all those unnatural vaccines & pills full of chemicals.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:27 am

And I do! Herbal medicines for me! Also there are centers like the Hippocrates Institute in FL that cute cancer through food alone.

bkcrt California
06/30/13 5:49 pm

There is a direct correlation between the rise in use of organic foods and autism. Don't believe me? Google it.

brianparks69 charlotte
06/30/13 8:45 pm

I have raised 4 kids on an organic farm with no autism. You really should learn the difference between reality and what you read on a few websites. Direct correlation implies a proven tie between two things and that does not exist.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:29 am

I thing the OP means that pesticides cause autism because there is a proven link there.

Piggadillo one of the good guys
07/02/13 10:13 am

Correlation means nothing. I am not saying I support this whole organic push cuz I don't, but correlation should basically say coincidence cuz that's what it really is.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
06/30/13 5:21 pm

Some of it, yes. Stuff that they'd otherwise fill with hormones and god knows what else.

tydye
06/30/13 4:14 pm

After finding out the horrible chemicals in our food I do my best to buy free range, hormone free, organic food. I actually take classes at my university on this subject

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
06/30/13 2:39 pm

"Organic" is the produce equivalent of "New and Improved." It's all about marketing.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:30 am

That is absolutely incorrect and organic is not new but several decades old - although maybe now more mainstream due to people's increased knowledge.

azpride Arizona
07/01/13 5:44 pm

How is it new and improved when its using techniques humans have used for thousands of years? If anything the GMO crap you are probably eating now is the "new and improved" food. Humans have not eaten like this for our entire existence until a few decades ago.

vortex
06/30/13 2:13 pm

I wouldn't pay more for organic food; I wouldn't pay less, either.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
06/30/13 12:45 pm

My brother in law farms, and tried to grow organic, cost so much to grow he lost money... It all tasted the same, but I know some have allergic reaction to some of the chemicals they use.. So yes I understand the cost..but I am not willing

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:31 am

That's respectable although I disagree wholeheartedly. It's like continuing to smoke while understanding the risks.

riseupredsea Missouri
06/30/13 10:25 am

What I don't understand is how can you consider it organic food when it's wrapped in cellophane, which is made with a petroleum byproduct. I worked in the grocery industry for years and the only difference is price....that's it.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:33 am

Grocery industry tries to tell its consumers that. I bet you did not work at whole foods. I'm not sure a 7$/hr bagger is qualified to answer on the scientific proof of organic food's benefits.

hallelu Over the rainbows
06/30/13 10:21 am

No! Eleven bucks for a small bag of walnuts!

roybiker12
06/30/13 9:47 am

Organic farming is not sustainable. It consumes 1.6x the land of modern farming. There are over 6 billion & growing mouths to feed in the world. Higher cost farming that requires more land clearing is not the answer.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
06/30/13 6:35 pm

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: industrial agriculture as is is not sustainable. All our food is made of oil. Just think about it for a few minutes and you'll get it. Organic is not really much of a difference in the long run either way.

Kendell Redlands, CA
06/30/13 9:32 am

I have no idea how this is a partisan issue. It is true that there is no definitive conclusion as far as health benefits are concerned, but usually there are economic and social implications when you are choosing to buy food.

Jaxsue new Jersey
06/30/13 9:32 am

In the past I would've said yes, but I've learned that some so-called organic foods are really not organic. Anyway, the best way to control what you eat is to grow produce yourself. It can be done in any suburban yard, and even in urban settings.

innk60 Texas
06/30/13 9:31 am

Define organic food!!! Most of what you buy in grocery stores that is marked as organic, isn't!

MericaRules
06/30/13 9:27 am

It's a matter of how much your health is worth to you.

roybiker12
06/30/13 9:43 am

Except there has never been any evidence that organic foods are healthier.

MericaRules
06/30/13 9:46 am

Are you serious? No proof? Wow lol. The proof is in the "pudding" as they say.

roybiker12
06/30/13 9:56 am

Laboratory studies, results have been a mixed bag with the vast majority showing that there is little to no benefit to eating organic foods over eating “regular” ones.

MericaRules
06/30/13 10:24 am

That's not completely true though. The problem is many studies are funded by parties with a vested interest and thus the result is compromised. Also, many don't test for the time periods required. Organic food has a life time....

MericaRules
06/30/13 10:26 am

....impact as opposed to a short term impact. Sometimes its simply that the inorganic food introduces some unhealthy aspect and the organic simply doesn't have that. Also, it is impacted by how the food is prepared and cooked(if at all) ....

MericaRules
06/30/13 10:27 am

...there are so many variables that a true lab test is next to impossible. The best comparison is a people comparison. Compare a group or organic eaters to inorganic. I guarantee there will be a difference.

kehvn Towson, MD
06/30/13 8:25 pm

The difference being the organic group would be more prone to bacterial illness. And would have lighter wallets.

gaydem90
06/30/13 9:18 am

No GMO poison.

boboli
06/30/13 6:49 am

I said yes, but its not really the organic label that I go for, because the regulations or something to be called "organic" don't always mean what you think they mean.
I like hormone free things, grass fed milk and butter, basic ingredients (no

boboli
06/30/13 6:49 am

corn syrup) and sometimes I buy local fruits and vegetables from farmers markets or upicks.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:34 am

Yes! I don't even buy everything at whole foods...only 4 and plus level meats for example are acceptable.

roybiker12
06/30/13 6:31 am

Given the heavy use of manure for fertilizing organic foods, the potential for E Coli contamination is higher. I won't buy organic at the same price.

ScottyDoesNo Black Lives Dont Matter
06/30/13 6:19 am

For anyone who doubts the superiority of organic food, this video is just for you. Sit back and be schooled:

youtu.be/5amLAMRQk5I

flyberg Northern Kentucky
06/30/13 6:13 am

I like my lettuce without bugs, thanks. The one time my husband accidentally grabbed organic instead almost put me off lettuce forever. Also, once you take into consideration demand vs. local supply and what companies do to get it into stores, it's not so "green" anymore.

Arya8
06/30/13 6:05 am

Maybe if I had extra to pay.

roybiker12
06/30/13 6:04 am

It takes 1.6 acres of land to produce an organic product that only takes 1.0 acres for modern farming. That means more land clearing to produce the same amount of food. Which means organic farming has a negative impact on the environment.

gradsmart Boston, MA
07/01/13 5:36 am

Land is not the only consideration ... Chemicals have a long half life while land can regenerate trees rather quickly.

paidert1 Columbus, Ohio
06/30/13 5:52 am

I buy mostly organic because I don't want GMOs.

roybiker12
06/30/13 5:48 am

In 50 years of organic farming, no health benefits have ever been proven.

skittlesucker
06/30/13 6:04 am

You mean thousands of years? Many of the diseases we see have only now surfaced in the last 50 years.

brianparks69 charlotte
06/30/13 8:51 pm

But I can guarantee you in 44 years if being raised on organic gardening and raising 4 kids on an organic farm, there have been no problems. and the lack of pesticides and chemical fertilizers can't hurt us or the land. If you don't want to do it, good for you, but don't pretend you know something!

PrettyP143
06/30/13 10:37 pm

No health benefits? Have you not seen the stats on how much more nutrients organic has

Marintintin In the Woods
06/30/13 11:50 pm

Just because no one has died from pesticides in their food de snot mean its healthy!

azpride Arizona
07/01/13 5:48 pm

Over thousands of years of human evolution it has proven quite satisfactory. We won't know the true side affects of GMO eating for a couple more generations of eating like this.

hippiedude fields of green
06/30/13 5:35 am

Unless i intended on buying organic food for whatever reason, no

s4mm1 WVU
06/30/13 4:55 am

To be honest, organic really does taste the same. People just want it to taste different because they are spending more. Hand anyone two apple say ones organic and they will say its "better" even when it's not. I think it's a waste of time and money