Show Of Hands August 11th, 2016 8:30pm

In an effort to combat discrimination, Seattle will now legally require landlords to rent their housing units to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis instead of letting them use their judgment to choose a renter. Good law?

AlaEh
08/16/16 9:30 pm

It all boils down to credit check lol

mar45alex
08/16/16 8:31 pm

Seriously? What if the first person in line is a jerk, loser, risk, etc. ?

revp01
08/16/16 6:56 am

Really!!! Ugh. More government is never the answer.

ObeseChipmunk MINNESOTA
08/14/16 7:05 pm

Literally couldn't have been worse lol

drself Gated Community
08/14/16 3:47 pm

My property. The government should not tell me to whom I rent or least to.

otto Olean, NY
08/14/16 11:42 am

Hell no!!!!! WTF?!?!? That is the landlords personal property. He may rent or not rent to whomever the hell he wants. What the hell is happening out there. Hello?!?!? West coast?!?!? Join America, please.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
08/14/16 12:03 am

That's when I sell all my properties, cash out and move to another state taking ALL of the equity I built up on my properties with me. I OWN the apartment building or the house someone wants to rent. If I don't get a good vibe from you or if there is something not right about your credit or I find out you lied to me regarding any information... You don't get to rent MY property. The final decision is mine and mine alone.

08/14/16 12:07 am

You make the decision to give them the application. If their credit is not good enough or they lied then by definition of the law that is not a qualified applicant.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
08/14/16 12:10 am

Furthermore you do not deserve nor will you get any kind of explanation as to why you were turned down except "the property was rented to another party. That's all you get to know. Period. A good idea I saw below would be that I raise the rent $1000 a month and then give the person I want to rent it to a monthly $1000 credit as a bonus for signing the lease.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
08/14/16 12:13 am

If I don't like your attitude you don't get to rent my property. You complain to authorities? I take it off the market for a month. No problem. Either way I DECIDE who rents MY properties NOT the government. They and their WHINEY sniveling complainers can go śhît in their hat!

08/14/16 12:18 am

I just don't understand. This is a very easy law to get around for the average landlord. You do not have to give anyone an application until after you meet them. If they were not honest then that disqualifies them on a first come first serve basis so ultimately it is always still your decision no matter what this law says about applications. I think this law was designed for a more specific purposes in Seattle that I don't know about because I haven't lived there.

08/14/16 12:24 am

You can screen interviews with questions that don't qualify as an application.
Maybe they have a problem with property mangers in Seattle who get paid $22 an hour making racist decisions for a landlord that has so many properties.

08/14/16 12:31 am

There is also no way to proctor this law besides a stamp you put on the application. This law was designed for lawyers to win cases against corporate landlords.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
08/14/16 8:51 pm

Seattle liberal lawmakers: YOU LOSE

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/13/16 2:59 pm

This is exactly what the democrats want. Erm, Clinton anyone? Hate to bring Trump up but I don't think he'd support this law. But I do. Black white blue purple invisible whatever your color is, first come first serve. But I kinda get it. There should be two types of rentals. Public and private. Public being your main business and private being a cottage.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
08/13/16 2:45 pm

I would immediately sell all rental properties!!!!!!

charlie259 Arizona
08/13/16 11:33 am

This is an unconstitutional taking of property without due process.

IMO atoms, space, opinion
08/13/16 7:27 am

No where in the article does it mention if a discrimination problem even existed in the first place. Why are bureaucrats creating laws for non-existent problems?!

RealNAlive Manhattan
08/14/16 5:05 pm

The problem of discrimination definitely exists, but this is just a terrible way to approach it.

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
08/13/16 6:53 am

Good grief. We no longer have any sense at all. A bunch of idiots who have never really DONE anything make all the rules.

MKK San Diego
08/12/16 9:58 pm

One word. Idiots!

RobinHood84
08/12/16 9:12 pm

The people who rented from me a year ago were qualified financially, but as I learned, not qualified in every other area. Has to replace wood floor due to liquid damage and burns, found holes in hallway wall (big ones), and didn't know until the the numerous incidences requiring police to be called.

jab004
08/13/16 7:09 am

You should pay for that happily. The $100 you made, per month means your investment earned you nothing for the year they lived there because you spent $3,500 to fix their mess, but hey, at least the liberals are happy.

Hope you pick up my sarcasm. Stupid law.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
08/14/16 12:04 am

Qualified on paper means NOTHING.

theFreeTexan ALT RIGHT
08/12/16 3:53 pm

Anothet defeat for the free market

ProbablyEug Oakland
08/12/16 2:53 pm

Get ready for the "qualified applicant" bar to rise.

patriot321
08/12/16 2:10 pm

I would raise the rent a lot. Suck it Seattle

gameplayer2014 Constipated Clefable
08/13/16 3:01 pm

I'd make it like $5k a month to rent. That way some sucker pays for a new truck. But hey it's not my place to say.

materman New Hampshire Libertarian
08/12/16 2:02 pm

When more homeless people appear on the streets because they can't pay rent because landlords can't say no but it's ok bc there's no discrimination 😎

dtrax25
08/12/16 2:47 pm

Homeless people are there because Seattle wants them there. They are almost all druggies

jab004
08/13/16 4:37 pm

There's the dumbest post if the year

hemikid1993
08/12/16 1:19 pm

Oh, hello Mr. Lecter. I am now required to not discriminate against the cannibalistic renters in the city. So, you may stay here as long as you pay the rent. THANKS, GOVERNMENT!

schristo
08/12/16 1:12 pm

Good luck with that. Idiots.

smasher1220
08/12/16 12:44 pm

Fuck Seattle

ctskapski x
08/12/16 11:49 am

I have been the victim of discrimination in cases like this. Cases involving housing. It was hard for me to find residence.

I think it's a bad law.
People shouldn't be forced to rent to people they don't want to rent to. Its their property.

MyRedSkirt Cali
08/12/16 1:33 pm

How were you discriminated against?
How did you know?

ctskapski x
08/12/16 1:45 pm

Two criminal charges on record, misdemeanor, when I was a teen. I was told directly.

coloradical Vote or Shut Up
08/12/16 10:19 am

Another example of the Idiot Liberals sticking their nose into Business of others.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
08/12/16 12:22 pm

Most liberals think this is retarded. It's the regressive 14 year olds who support this

bubbaman
08/12/16 1:20 pm

So, 14 year olds put this into law???

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
08/12/16 1:22 pm

People with the minds of 14 year olds

bubbaman
08/12/16 1:28 pm

So, 14 % of people across the board have a mind of a 14 yr old, but 31% of Democrats have the mind of a 14 yr old. Now I'm starting to understand this years presidential election. Thanks

08/12/16 10:03 am

What perceived problem is this nonsensical fascist law attempting to solve?

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
08/12/16 9:56 am

Seattle is/has become San Francisco & will fare as well. The Utopian agenda inevitably leads to dystopian outcomes. Landlords will begin fleeing Seattle &/or selling rental property & there will be fewer rental properties available at much higher rates the longer this stands.

Anywhere it is instituted.

moldypipes9
08/12/16 9:49 am

Wtf. Our country is f $@÷ed

commonman1 Peace
08/12/16 8:09 am

I guess this will be a law that is broken by everyone. Seattle don't become San Francisco please.

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/12/16 7:58 am

Good question. It seems fair at first blush. However I managed a 300 unit apartment complex in San Jose. Just because someone is qualified on paper doesn't mean they will be good tenants. I learned that the hard way.

08/12/16 8:04 am

Nobody would dare lie on the application to make themselves appear qualified, now would they!

Shiggybythebay Proud Bay Area Native
08/12/16 8:58 am

LoL I've had people print up their own paycheck stubs and create a company they had their friend or relatives phone number attached to. I called information and there was no company with that name and reverse caller ID the phone number and it's someone with the same last name.

MyRedSkirt Cali
08/12/16 1:36 pm

Shiggy: That's crazy!!!! But under the Seattle law, you would not be required to rent to them because they don't qualify.

AvocadoMan Minnesota
08/12/16 7:27 am

"Hello mister landlord, I'm John Johnson. Last year I was charged with possession and intent to distribute cocaine. I'm glad to move in."

This is what the landlords face now...

08/12/16 6:53 am

If you could discriminate like this within a private business then what would stop the masses of Chinese and Indians coming over and buying up the private businesses/housing unites and only accepting foreign out of country people.

08/12/16 8:05 am

What would prevent it? Immigration laws.

08/12/16 8:22 am

Leland yee. California state senator taking bribes from Chinese and arrested on corruption charges. They're already trying to take advantage of our corrupt system. Good luck passing immigration laws

08/12/16 8:46 am

Irish ... new laws aren't required, new public servants are!

08/12/16 1:36 pm

Well think it looks like that is going just swell

08/12/16 6:30 pm

Irish ... I can't imagine that you're this ignorant. The problem isn't the lack of laws, it's the lack of enforcement of the laws we already have!

The criminals who come to our country without approval of our government are called "illegal aliens" because they've BROKEN THE LAW!

What needs to happen is to sanction all sanctuary cities and deport the illegal aliens.

08/12/16 9:48 pm

I'm not talking about illegals. I'm taking about Indians and Chinese coming here and starting a private business then taking advantage of an extremely tyrannical law that allows people to discriminate. It's very possible for the Chinese or Indians to get sponsored with H1B visas out of school then eventually become part of the legislative process or buy our businesses.

Sun tzu invented the coupe before it was even called coupe. I can't believe you are so ignorant to believe that the United States is the only nation that knows how to overthrow governments and take advantage of tyrannical laws.

08/12/16 9:50 pm

Irish ... you're talking gibberish. What tyrannical law are you attempting to discuss?

08/12/16 9:55 pm

Sounds like you're trying to push your libertarian shit on me. Im not a fan of private tyranny.
Letting private business run with no check and balances breeds tyrants and factions

08/12/16 10:07 pm

Irish ... it sounds like you have difficulty explaining your position in a cogent way. You make wild assertions with no proof, only your leftist drama queen nonsense.

08/12/16 10:20 pm

You're the one that brought illegals up out of no where and started crying about them. Your difficulty is subjective.
If you want to give all the power to the private business then you're giving a lot of that power to Chinese business owners and they own a lot of apartment complexes in sanctuary cities. The Chinese would love to discriminate and expand china town

08/12/16 10:25 pm

It's in the sanctuary cities first generation Chinese business owners could easily discriminate against a full blooded American.

08/12/16 10:28 pm

Irish ... I just can't have a discussion with someone who is unarmed. I wish you well in your bias against the Chinese. I suggest to you that they don't own everything, and if you rlly can't stand them, then MOVE!

The issue with immigration is that our laws aren't being enforced. The laws need to be enforced. Period.

08/12/16 10:36 pm

You have nothing to say obviously. Go think

08/12/16 11:07 pm

You should be more worried about the foreigners coming here with H1B visas, attending our universities who are very intelligent and have no plan to assimilate or integrate.

08/12/16 11:09 pm

Irish ... and yet, curiously I'm not worried about H1B Visas. I've employed dozens of sharp foreign individuals on H1B's.

The problem isn't the visas, it is the lack of enforcement of visa overstays. You see, no matter how you slice it, the problem is the same ... the lack of enforcement.

08/12/16 11:22 pm

You can easily get that H1B transferred into a green card as long as the company sponsors them. I don't know what enforcement you're talking about. You're starting to sound like a dem.

I've hired illegals that have paid all their taxes and not received any government benefits, grants or subsidies. Theyve been run out of their country by corporate America and they come here and pretty much donate part of their paycheck to the U.S. I've also hired refugees who would rather live in North Korea than the U.S.

08/12/16 11:24 pm

Irish ... I'm sorry that you have such a difficult time with relatively simple concepts.

08/12/16 11:27 pm

Think.. I think you're a closet democrat

08/13/16 9:47 am

Hypothetical situation - what prevents the racist Chinese landlord from giving the application out after an interview?

Baltimoron BMore, Do Less
08/12/16 6:33 am

Does Seattle do anything right? This sounds like a good way to increase crime and foreclosure rates.

TrueInquiry land of milk and honey
08/12/16 5:59 am

If I own a business that does not receive government funding I should be able to exclude anyone that I want to. If I want a gays only apartment why the hell shouldn't I be allowed to? Blacks only? Sure. White straight women with a belly button piercing? Sure. The government contradicts itself by saying you can't discriminate but also says you can't have involuntary service forced upon you... This is involuntary for some owners I'm sure. Andif I know someone looks like a crack addict and I don't want them in my complex why the hell shouldn't I be allowed to?

FRZNLGHT New York
08/12/16 6:20 am

Because you would be discriminating against someone based on they are (i.e. their religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, etc). Not only is that a crime but it violates the Fair Housing Act under the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Determining whether an applicant is qualified is based on their income and creditworthiness. Just because one owns a private business doesn't mean they get to do whatever they want.

TrueInquiry land of milk and honey
08/12/16 6:38 am

But why shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever they want? The more selective ones market is the less they will make and ultimately will fail. I don't think the government should force ethics upon someone, if they want to be a sack of shit, why not let them? I do understand that it is illegal to blatantly discriminate against someone but it is also illegal to force someone to provide a service unwillingly.

FRZNLGHT New York
08/12/16 7:05 am

The government isn't forcing ethics on anyone, rather it's telling businesses what they cannot do. Just because it's a private business doesn't mean it gets to trample on other people's rights. Also, the business isn't being forced to provide a service unwillingly since it's already in the business of providing that service. Remember, the landlord gets to determine who is qualified based on the applicant's economic means. They don't get to determine who's qualified based on the applicant's race, religion, gender, etc.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
08/12/16 10:06 am

... what those businesses cannot do as defined by *their* ethics & social agenda enforced by the power of the Government.

No one bothers to read the history or founding documents of this country, have any grasp on the principles upon which it is founded & seems utterly content to accept the version & interpretation of these things by ppl who don't even attempt to hide their utter contempt for both the country & its principles.

In its place we are expected to accept ever-contradicting edicts of behavior, social re-engineering, irrational logic & oppositional laws, without question.

Goodbye sweet America.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 4:52 am

The question did say "qualified applicants" so there is still a screening process it sounds like

TheSocialist INTJ
08/12/16 5:01 am

But you have to prove that they are unqualified.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 5:11 am

Proof without judgment? Easy, I do that every day. I'm an underwriter, haha

TheSocialist INTJ
08/12/16 5:12 am

It would be the same as when you fire someone, you would have to cite a reason.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 5:16 am

Not here in Georgia. We have at-will employment, so anyone can really be fired for no reason at all legally.

TheSocialist INTJ
08/12/16 5:18 am

That's Georgia, it has no bearing whatsoever on reality.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 5:20 am

The ass backwards state I live in! Murika

UniversePlan Michigan
08/12/16 6:04 am

This user is currently being ignored

sydwel
08/12/16 6:26 am

Yeah, every state except Montana, I believe, is at-will. Although many employers have to follow legal protections for race, sex, religion, etc. so it may be in their best interest to document reasons for a firing in case someone attempts to sue for illegal discrimination later.

Baltimoron BMore, Do Less
08/12/16 6:35 am

Hey at least your state HAD jobs to be fired from. We were doing horribly until last year.

sydwel
08/12/16 6:44 am

But to address the original comment- yes, I suppose this law is slightly less frustrating the more flexibility the landlord has to set and add qualifications and quickly eliminate unqualified candidates, but completely prohibiting judgement calls is inherently problematic. To keep the employment analogy, it's just like hiring people. Someone might meet all the quantitative requirements and still be a bad fit, or someone might be slightly below the stated qualifications but have additional skills that make up for it.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 6:54 am

From an underwriting standpoint, all I would think I'd needed from a landlord is ability and willingness to repay

08/12/16 9:34 pm

Exactly, why should an oppressive nanny state allow ANYONE to make their own decisions?

PeterTheViking Seattle
08/12/16 1:32 am

I'll add this to the very long list of stupid ass laws in this city. This doesn't even make top 10 on that list though. 👍

ainsleyy previously kitkat123
08/12/16 12:57 am

i live near seattle and this is stupid

madconservative President Trump
08/12/16 12:49 am

Sounds ultra liberal to me

dryanmorr
08/11/16 10:55 pm

Welcome to America.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
08/12/16 5:04 am

This user is currently being ignored

scrpnHOG Arizona
08/11/16 10:48 pm

Seattle is about to become the new Detroit if they keep liberal tarding up

08/11/16 11:18 pm

That's not why Detroit failed but whatever

08/11/16 11:56 pm

Tol ... why did Detroit fail?

08/11/16 11:59 pm

The automotive industry had a hiccup Detroits main industry is automotives

08/12/16 12:02 am

Tol ... what a hoot! The biggest "hiccup" the auto industry had was the fascist unions!

08/12/16 12:08 am

Right okay you're clearly irrational

08/12/16 12:10 am

Tol ... I'm sorry that you're incapable of rational discussion.

08/12/16 12:16 am

Same to you

cartolian
08/12/16 12:50 am

Your both funny

cartolian
08/12/16 12:51 am

I think both sides just don't like to think rationally about everything without resorting to name calling and slander first

ewokbaggypants Be kind.
08/12/16 5:58 am

And they failed to bring in new business once it was clear the auto industry couldn't sustain the needs of their population.

ewokbaggypants Be kind.
08/12/16 5:59 am

MyRedSkirt Cali
08/11/16 10:15 pm

Guess it's time to raise the requirements.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
08/11/16 9:49 pm

Now they want to discriminate against landlords...

08/11/16 10:36 pm

What a ridiculous way to look at this

08/11/16 11:57 pm

Tol ... to leftists, facts seem ridiculous.

08/12/16 12:08 am

Nope but to humor you what facts do you think leftists think are ridiculous I do hope you actually use facts

08/12/16 12:09 am

Tol ... as a former landlord in Mn, I know first hand of the bias against landlords there!

08/12/16 12:16 am

Okay well I'm sorry how so? This is in sesttle though not Minnesota

08/12/16 12:18 am

Tol ... should the government be allowed to dictate what you eat, where you live or with whom you associate?

08/12/16 12:20 am

No and they aren't with this law. Did they do something like it in Minnesota

08/12/16 12:22 am

Tol ... it's really difficult for you to answer a question, isn't it!

08/12/16 12:24 am

What are you saying I answered unless you don't know what no means

08/12/16 12:26 am

Tol ... I'm sorry for your delusion.

08/12/16 12:27 am

I'm sorry for your illiteracy I guess

SOHJesus Amarillo
08/12/16 4:59 am

To be fair, he did answer no 😐

08/12/16 7:39 am

It is worth noting that Tolstoy chose to take his/her/it's marbles and ran home to mommy, as they blocked me. Let's hope they're in a safe space now as grown up discussions are too difficult for them.

08/12/16 7:43 am

SoHJ ... no, Tolstoy did NOT answer the question ... they said that this law doesn't do that. That's simply not true.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
08/12/16 9:16 am

"should the government be allowed to dictate what you eat, where you live or with whom you associate?"

"No, and they aren't with this law"

He answered your question.

08/12/16 10:11 am

Cropper ... that doesn't answer the question, now does it!

SOHJesus Amarillo
08/12/16 10:20 am

The "no" part was his answer to the question.

08/12/16 10:25 am

SoHJ ... so what was Tolstoy attempting to say, because it is not clear. He/she/it said "no", but then went on to say that the government is not trying to force people to associate.

They don't get to have it both ways. Like far too many on the left, Tolstoy attempted to say half of their position while attempting to be coy with the rest. It's dishonest.

SOHJesus Amarillo
08/12/16 10:32 am

I'm guessing he wasn't fully considering the association part of it.

deadcat
08/11/16 9:44 pm

So much for property rights. Hope a drug dealer isn't the first one in line. Has enough government yet ?

08/11/16 10:36 pm

Do you actually think a drug dealer would be qualified

SOHJesus Amarillo
08/12/16 5:00 am

It's totally possible that a drug dealer could be qualified.

brinrawson Knoxville and DC
08/12/16 5:38 am

If they also have a job (maybe to recruit customers or employees for themselves), if they are smart enough to have not gotten caught, if they are successful dealing enough that they have enough money to never get bad credit marks, if they are successful enough to have a cash deposit ready, why wouldn't they be qualified?

The law sees a upstanding, working, law-abiding, credit-worthy citizen who has the cash for the deposit in hand. You knowing they are a drug dealer doesn't change the fact that the law doesn't know it.

08/12/16 7:45 am

SoHJ ... as a landlord, I do NOT want or need the government telling me which potential tenant is qualified and which one is not.

I assume by your comments that you're a millennial, which suggests that you're in the stage of life of attempting to choose a mate. Would you want the government to tell you that you must date an individual because they are "qualified"?

SOHJesus Amarillo
08/12/16 10:18 am

You misunderstood me. I'm on your side on this one.

08/12/16 10:22 am

SoHJ ... it was impossible to deduce that from your comment!

So, you agree that the government should NOT be telling anyone who is and who is not an appropriate mate or tenant, right?

coggy iowa
08/11/16 9:38 pm

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

08/11/16 9:59 pm

Liberalism is western culture

BeefComandant Sol III
08/11/16 10:32 pm

Classical liberalism. Not today's liberalism. Nice try though.

08/11/16 10:34 pm

There is no difference between liberalism and classical liberalism talk about neo liberalism

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/11/16 11:10 pm

Coggy you are exactly right. Liberalism is a mental disorder

08/11/16 11:17 pm

Your location is a falsehood

08/11/16 11:35 pm

So helping the poor, being a pacifist, forgiving criminals, and being fervently anti rich is conservative to you?

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/11/16 11:41 pm

I have had this debate many times, I have proved how Jesus is conservative. Liberals dont help the poor, they make the poor dependent so that the poor will vote Democrat so that Democrats are in power. Liberals dont care about the poor. Jesus said for you to help the poor, not create government programs that steal from other people to do it. Conservatives believe that you should help the poor but also not make them dependent. It's not the government's job. So what Jesus taught was actually conservative. Not liberal.

08/11/16 11:49 pm

Great job trying to refute one of my points but I never said Jesus was liberal so bringing up liberals doesn't do anything. Also giving to charity doesn't mean helping the poor what helps the poor is indeed being an activist for public housing and welfare programs because these create a situation where the poor don't have to spend years trying to get enough money to get off the streets and feed themselves

08/11/16 11:55 pm

Activism for public housing does nothing to help the poor. It only helps the entitled.

08/11/16 11:58 pm

Maybe you need to do some more thinking about this. You just said helping the poor doesn't include making sure they have a roof over their head which just couldn't be more incorrect

08/12/16 12:00 am

Tol ... wrestle with the parable of the talents in your attempt to assert that Jesus didn't believe in personal accountability. It'll also cause you to slip a cig in the notion of equal outcomes.

08/12/16 12:01 am

Tol ... you might want to reread rather than attempt to rewrite my connect!

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:01 am

Tol, you are so wrong. I have thought about this a lot and studied it thoroughly. I know Jesus. And I know conservatism. Liberalism does not help the poor at all. Conservatism is what helps the poor. Jesus is conservative

08/12/16 12:05 am

You're still only talking about one of my points and I'm still not a liberal again I don't see conservatives, republicans, trying to help poor people

08/12/16 12:06 am

Jesus as described in the bible definitely didn't care about making people accountable for their poverty

08/12/16 12:08 am

Tol ... respond to the parable of the talents! Of course Jesus taught accountability to the poor! What was the fate of the servant with one talent?

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:09 am

Tol, you clearly don't know Jesus. You also clearly don't know conservatives. Conservatives help the poor more than liberals do. And what Think said was absolutely right

08/12/16 12:14 am

So you're saying the poor are just lazy, and this wasn't even Jesus but a moral by Matthew

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:17 am

The poor people that Jesus was talking about during his time are way different than poor people today. Back then, those poor people weren't lazy at all. They actually deserved help. Now a days a lot of poor people just want to be dependent on government

08/12/16 12:19 am

How by calling them lazy because they're born into poverty and the education they get if any is crap as it's poorly fine yeah real compassionate and Jesus like. What a joke

08/12/16 12:20 am

Tol ... what was the fate of the servant with one talent?

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:21 am

Sorry but you are delusional. Now a days people can not be poor if they try. They can get themselves out of poverty through hard work, even if they are born into it. They should get help just as long as they are not dependent. Yeah so what Jesus taught is conservative

08/12/16 12:21 am

Cast into what I interpret as a pit of carnivores

08/12/16 12:23 am

Tol ... it's clear that you choose not to have an honest discussion.

08/12/16 12:23 am

No they really can't the funding to create wealth is not there in most poor areas yes some people are lazy but these people are in every economical class

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:24 am

Tol, you clearly don't understand at all

08/12/16 12:25 am

Yes I don't understand your position at all

Truconservative Jesus is conservative
08/12/16 12:27 am

You don't understand facts or logic

08/12/16 12:27 am

Tol ... what was the fate of the servant that had received one talent?

08/12/16 12:29 am

I don't understand your logic but I don't see how the facts are actually in your favor as when 5000 hungry people met with only enough food for a few people Jesus made enough for everyone this is not the act of someone for accountability

08/12/16 12:30 am

I told you already

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 4:59 am

Jesus was no God, and he's been dead for almost 2000 years. Who gives a shit if he's liberal or conservative? What a stupid argument to even have.

08/12/16 7:36 am

Sven ... so would you rather have a discussion about dead men like Karl Marx or Charles Darwin?

08/12/16 7:50 am

Tol ... you can attempt to block honest discussion, but you can't hide. You lied when you said that you responded to the question about the Parable of the Talents. You cowardly avoided the question of what happened to the servant with one talent because you know it invalidates your position.

You show that you are yet another dishonest leftist incapable of a valid discussion.

svenalexander Land of the Ents
08/12/16 8:08 am

You implied that despite the fact that I never even slightly indicated it.

08/12/16 9:28 pm

Sven ... I get that you don't want to have an honest discussion.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
08/11/16 9:22 pm

So, I guess Seattle would rather force landlords to rent to those with a history of destructive behaviors rather than to allow them to make good decisions which would minimize thier risk and protect their investment. Nice. /s

08/11/16 10:37 pm

So you think a criminal would be found qualified for renting a house

Spiritof76 USA 1776
08/12/16 6:10 am

I'm not talking about criminals. I'm talking about behaviors. Most landlords require references of previous rental history.

RyanUnited Be the Change
08/12/16 6:14 am

I don't think that being addicted to alcohol or gambling would disqualify you because those aren't criminal acts and those are destructive behaviors as well as reasons you wouldn't be able to pay rent. Sorry but I would never rent out any land to them.

08/12/16 11:48 am

Noone can explain why this meddling has ANYTHING to do with the government. The totalitarian overreach is absolutely unconstitutional. There is NO difference between this, and authorizing the government to tell the owner of a car that they must lend their car to anyone who appears to be a qualified driver. This is idiocy at it's finest.

Carcano Matthew 10 34
08/11/16 9:22 pm

This country keeps moving downhill. Can't can't for the collapse.

Carcano Matthew 10 34
08/11/16 9:23 pm

Can't wait*

BlueLine Georgia
08/11/16 9:05 pm

That's absurd. The government telling me who I can let use my stuff. Are you kidding me?

dylan1776
08/11/16 8:54 pm

Freedom of enterprise is a core tenant of the constitution, this new law violates that I would hope that someone sues the city of Seattle and that they win a Supreme Court case

cvandykemo
08/11/16 9:22 pm

dylan It's not clear to me how you define freedom of enterprise as a main tenet of the Constitution; I find no mention of this in my copy. Would you kindly let us know which article or amendment describes such a freedom?

dylan1776
08/11/16 9:39 pm

Freedom of religion is appart of the first ammendment and it gives the person freedom too discriminate sorry I don't like it either but the constitution is the constitution

cvandykemo
08/12/16 8:32 am

dylan I was asking about freedom of enterprise, as per your original assertion. Would you please point me to that in the Constitution?

08/11/16 8:46 pm

Good law it's a qualified renter and prevents housing being determined by race or sex

dylan1776
08/11/16 8:55 pm

The core of the constitution is free enterprise you can't just violate the constitution just because you don't like appart of it has held our country together for a long time now.

08/11/16 9:03 pm

If the constitution has any core it's that all people have inalienable rights life, liberty, and happiness. This includes the person trying to rent the house not just the person owning the house. In this law as is stated is that the renter is qualified meaning they've passed any economical qualifications the owner determines the law can says that they can't be refused based on arbitrary qualifications only necessary ones like their ability to pay rent. Your free enterprise argument is not a valid one in this situation

dylan1776
08/11/16 9:06 pm

People have the right too sell too who they please it is appart of the constitution. What you are saying only applies too government itself that you can't discriminate in the government

08/11/16 9:59 pm

Nope it's indeed illegal to discriminate against someone because of their religion race or sex because of the constitution

dylan1776
08/11/16 10:00 pm

Yes the government it is illegal too do that not a bussiness

08/11/16 10:25 pm

Nope both do you not know about the civil rights era

dylan1776
08/11/16 10:27 pm

The civil rights act is irrelevant we are taking about the constitution

08/11/16 10:35 pm

The civil rights act is held up by the constitution it's completely relevant

08/12/16 8:03 am

Tol ... like most fascist leftists, you want rights only for those who agree with you.

MCSpanner Here and there
08/11/16 8:41 pm

King county sucks. They rule my state

NYevo NY
08/11/16 8:36 pm

For my own rental apartment within my own home? Horrible law.