Show Of Hands August 11th, 2016 3:03pm

Do you believe it is appropriate for college applications to include the question "Where else are you applying?"

cyanospool The Deep North
08/12/16 5:28 pm

This comment section is a perfect example of why I hate associating with most other libertarians. Almost all of them have no concept of civil/social rules. They always automatically assume when someone asks if a certain action is socially unfavorable in some way, that the intent is to legally restrict that behavior. Yes private colleges can do what they want. But that's not the f*cking question. I swear Libertarianism is an oasis for socially disabled people who have no inherent code of personal ethics and just want a secular set of commandments so they don't have to think about right and wrong behavior for themselves. So many of them I've met in real life are sheltered AF, and decide to turn a political ideology into their own code of interpersonal conduct because they have no real mind of their own.

sproded Minneapolis
08/12/16 3:05 pm

Colleges can do whatever they want, don't like that they asked it, don't go there. Simple as that

Someonethirsty A lake
08/12/16 4:13 pm

The question was asking if it's appropriate. Not if they should be allowed.

scrpnHOG Arizona
08/11/16 10:55 pm

Private college, can ask what ever they want.
Don't have to answer or apply

Someonethirsty A lake
08/12/16 4:13 pm

Question was if it's appropriate or not. Not if it's their prerogative.

XercesBlue ...
08/13/16 4:20 pm

Someone.. This is their answer, regardless of what question you want enforced or how you think they should phrase their answer..

MJSeals J.D.
08/11/16 7:57 pm

Yes, if you are applying to Notre Dame, Emory, Stanford and the Elon university. And you have the grades to get inky One of the top 3 (which Elon will have that information) what they will do is accept you, but not consider you a likely member to join so they don't count you in as a member of the next class. Basically, it effects how many people they accepted for the next school year.

Oboette17 Senioritis
08/11/16 8:20 pm

It's weird you mention Elon! My brother attends there. Not very many people have heard of it.

Greenie Social Democrat
08/11/16 9:23 pm

I think a lot of people have heard of Elon

biggmattdogg
08/11/16 9:35 pm

I actually got accepted to Elon but it's so expensive, it's just not worth it.

Greenie Social Democrat
08/11/16 9:38 pm

That's too bad. It can be hard to find a school that's a good fit without breaking the bank.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/11/16 3:57 pm

Sure, why not? It helps give a better picture of the applicant's interests and values, tells a little about whether they are smart enough to keep options open, and makes it easier for schools to compare responses on the applications looking for inconsistencies.

phalnx Ohio
08/11/16 3:51 pm

They can ask. Doesn't mean you have to answer.

ProbablyEug Oakland
08/11/16 11:55 am

Would it be appropriate for a job application? I don't think so. The same should be said for a college application.

RougePatriot
08/11/16 11:35 am

My answer to that question would be... None of your business...

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/11/16 11:47 am

I'm sure their answer to your answer would be "don't bother applying then."

ProbablyEug Oakland
08/11/16 11:55 am

And that's why it's a problem.

RougePatriot
08/11/16 11:55 am

That's fine doesn't sound like the type of college I would want to attend anyway.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/11/16 11:58 am

It's not a problem. Usually the colleges that do it (from what I remember from my application process) are the ones who don't care if they lose a few students because they get worked up over having to fill that simple question in. I'm sure lower-caliber schools don't ask that sort of question.

44YY Boston, MA
08/11/16 6:26 pm

Nearly all schools ask that question. I don't know a school that doesn't

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/11/16 8:45 pm

Well I applied to seven colleges last fall, though I did look into fifteen, and only one or two colleges asked it, so...

44YY Boston, MA
08/12/16 8:23 am

Well I applied to 7 and they all asked it lol

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/12/16 9:16 am

Perhaps you applied to better schools than I did. Or maybe it's a regional thing.

TheCameron UCF
08/11/16 10:09 am

I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor into admission decisions it's just used for research stuff like finding out the average amount of schools students apply to and whatnot.

ProbablyEug Oakland
08/11/16 12:02 pm

What if above the question they added text that explains that. Then potential students wouldn't be so weirded out by it.

mhillsman Oklahoma
08/11/16 2:05 pm

No it definitely does. Many upper colleges will use that to determine how likely the applicant is to say yes if they were admitted. The more likely they are to say no, the less likely they will be admitted

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/11/16 10:09 am

Of course. It's their application. Don't like it? Don't apply.

bluefish empiricism and love
08/12/16 7:19 am

I'm a little frustrated with this kind of thinking. What if you really love everything about this school, except this one part? It doesn't feel like it's that simple. Though I do agree it's their right to put it on.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/12/16 9:07 am

Well if you love everything about the college, but freak out over something as minute and simple as this and end up not applying, that's pretty dumb, to be brutally honest.

RyanUnited Be the Change
08/11/16 9:50 am

Terrible idea. If a college thinks you are more likely to accept elsewhere, they will be more likely to turn you down because every application that they accept but does not accept them back hurts their prestige.

Crawdaddy11 LEGEND of FIRSTS
08/11/16 9:08 am

No but who cares really

Liberty 4,032,064
08/11/16 9:07 am

Sure, it's relevant information.

Liberty 4,032,064
08/11/16 11:03 am

To know where else the student is applying. I know that sounds circular, but it's just so obvious.

ProbablyEug Oakland
08/11/16 12:04 pm

Really all it determines is socioeconomic status. If you can apply to more school and afford the application fee, you will. If you can't you won't.

Liberty 4,032,064
08/11/16 12:25 pm

It tells them a multitude of things, primarily how focused the applicant is in attending their school, which translates to how likely he is to accept an invitation if given one.

Liberty 4,032,064
08/11/16 12:30 pm

In other words, if I'm No Name Public University and I have an applicant with a 2400 SAT score and 4.9 GPA with excellent financials who also applied to Duke and Yale, I can accept him and hope he chooses me, but I can have a reasonable expectation that he won't be accepting my invitation.

lagg
08/11/16 8:48 am

Just name all the Ivy League schools

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
08/11/16 8:30 am

They dont here because you dint directly apply to the universities, you go through UCAS

VTLiberty Vermont
08/11/16 8:28 am

I applied to LSU and if I can remember right there was a question asking if I or any other relatives work at 7/11.

yeetloafdaddy
08/11/16 8:25 am

This question always pisses me off because I'm applying to schools right now and if it's my reach school that's asking they'll realize that everywhere else I'm looking at is not as strong as them and they'll realize that they're my reach. And if it's my safety school that's asking they'll realize that I'm not really planning on going there but need a safety just in case something happens.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
08/11/16 8:15 am

College version of "do you think my sister is pretty?"

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/11/16 8:11 am

Appropriate, no. But, that doesn't mean some idiot legislator should get the idea to make it illegal.