Cole12 August 11th, 2016 2:02am

People don't choose to be born, so the least we can do is make free, comfortable, easy suicide a universal human right. If an adult wants to end their life, they should be able to go to a doctor and do it right then and there.

pandaturtle
08/11/16 5:12 pm

Look I was at a point where I did want to commit suicide. But now I don't. If I had such easy access to such methods back then i probably wouldn't be alive and actually happy again. So I'm gonna have to say no, because everyone who feels like that needs every possible way to survive

steelcity Pittsburgh
08/11/16 12:41 pm

Sigh 😔

Progressivism does not value life. We are simply a series of chemical reactions.

ComradeJames nationalism
08/11/16 5:11 pm

Progressivism values human rights. A person can choose HOW to live their life, and a person can choose IF to live their life. Conservatives, on the other hand, only value life before it is born.

coloradical Vote or Shut Up
08/11/16 10:03 am

Let's leave it alone it's Gods decision to make. By taking a life we never allow reconciliation. If you don't believe in God I'll pray for you.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/11/16 7:01 am

Not "right then and there," no. They need to be assessed of sound mind and not in a state of emotional duress. But then, yes.

rons WOKE is sick
08/11/16 5:32 am

Free bothers me. Why is everything FREE! Jump off a toll free bridge for gods sakes!

ozzy
08/11/16 4:38 am

Not through a doctor

aj1545 Cat Lady
08/10/16 10:45 pm

This is not popular, but I agree. Some people are purely miserable, and none of us choose to be born. Its not so much that this "allows" suicide, its that it enables it to be done relatively painlessly. You cant exactly punish the dead anyway..

coloradical Vote or Shut Up
08/11/16 10:11 am

Please check out this story. You may not believe it's possible but I am convinced it is the truth.
youtu.be/5hCLkJE_YgU
Listen to this one without distractions and with Headphones.youtu.be/pZHZt_xfGVM

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/10/16 7:26 pm

I believe in bodily autonomy to include everything from choosing what you wish to ingest to the right to take your own life. But, I'm on the fence about doctor involvement. I also feel a waiting period should be included if doctors are involved and that doctors should never, ever be forced to partake in assisting a suicide.

Finally, I think some kind of measures would have to be taken to ensure doctors who voluntarily do this don't also encourage it. In fact, I'd recommend deterring it via a counseling session or maybe something like having the individual hear stories from people who contemplated suicide, but are happy they didn't go through with it. Basically, I think you want to take every measure possible to ensure that they're really, really sure that this is what they want.

Cole12 ...
08/10/16 7:46 pm

I agree that doctors shouldn't be forced to participate.

Cole12 ...
08/10/16 7:23 pm

Abortion and suicide are both bodily autonomy issues, and I think the right to control one's body is fundamental. A short waiting period isn't something I'm going to complain endlessly about, but we should view such restrictions with skepticism and make sure they're absolutely necessary before turning them into policy.

Maj Worth Economist
08/10/16 7:26 pm

Do you believe personhood begins at conception?

Cole12 ...
08/10/16 7:31 pm

No. I don't really care about meaningless minutia like "when life starts"; it may be important to academic philosophers, but it's not relevant to the abortion debate.

Women have the right to control their bodies, and that's why I'm completely pro-choice.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/10/16 7:32 pm

I'd like to butt in here.
Neither a fetus nor a newborn is a person yet, the definition when it becomes a person is arbitrary but the definition when it's a human being is clear: as soon as the DNA of sperm and ovum combine. Human DNA, new life.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/10/16 7:34 pm

And of course women may control everything that is their body, everything with their DNA.
Which is everything but the unborn.

Maj Worth Economist
08/11/16 12:31 am

And then you end up with women's rights being eroded because of a centimeter sized piece of life that can't exist on its own yet. No mom should be arrested for murder because she had a still born child, and no pregnant woman with cancer should be involuntarily cut open because some judge thinks her baby might be saved despite medical advice (both mom and the baby died, BTW), and no woman seeking rehab after she discovers she's pregnant should be thrown in jail and denied prenatal care. So the whole life begins at conception thing can just die in a fire.

But that wasn't my point here at all. If a person - as per Cole's definition - is one who is born, then people don't even have the right to avoid being people. And honestly... That's kinda dumb. You can't be a person with rights without birth. It's not just against your will or you having no choice, it's you existing. I don't even.

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
08/10/16 7:14 pm

A right to suicide???? I get what you're saying, but that's no right.

knetzere Illinois
08/10/16 7:13 pm

I don't think we should force doctors to do that.

If you want to end your life do it yourself on your own time it's not hard to do

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/10/16 7:09 pm

Like in Soylent Green?
youtu.be/V8Q2M_Qv30A

This actually looks interesting but should really be the last resort if life becomes unbearable.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/10/16 7:19 pm

PS: most people go through crises in life but this usually passes.
It would be sad to miss decades of possible joy because of a temporary crisis.

political Georgia
08/10/16 7:05 pm

Why, let's encourage suicide while we are at it. This will dramatically reduce the size of the population. In fact, all suicide hotlines should be banned because we are overpopulated.

(Sarcasm)

political Georgia
08/10/16 7:06 pm

I can't wait to see the advertisement signs.

"Are you feeling bad? Did your boyfriend leave you for your worst nightmare? Step right in! We will end your life today! Just pay before you die!"

veritas1 Panda
08/10/16 7:04 pm

Not right then and there. There should be a waiting period and psychological testing.

Cole12 ...
08/10/16 7:08 pm

Out of curiosity, do you think there should be a mandatory waiting period for abortion?

veritas1 Panda
08/10/16 7:11 pm

Not really. I wouldn't be terribly upset with a 24 hr waiting period though. I don't think routine surgical procedures and suicide should be treated the same though.

Cole12 ...
08/10/16 7:23 pm

veritas1 Panda
08/10/16 8:54 pm

Mood fluctuates tremendously over the course of a day, especially in people with some sort of underlying condition. As a public health matter, I would hate for anyone to decide to commit suicide as the lowest point in the day when they might have regretted it an hour later.

Physician assisted suicide seems most appropriate for people with terminal illnesses or conditions that aren't going to improve and cause a lot of suffering.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
08/11/16 6:37 am

This user is currently being ignored