Show Of Hands August 9th, 2016 3:36pm

Apple is rumored to be eliminating the traditional headphone jack in the next iPhone, instead shifting to the use of a smarter digital headphone connection. Good move?

bran116
08/11/16 7:15 am

All the people who said no obviously have Bluetooth stuff

revp01
08/11/16 6:32 am

Ha. Bad move for users. But apple will probably make a $29 adapter that allows you to charge & use lightning headphones or an aux to lightning adapter. 2 million phones X $29. SMH

tsully74
08/10/16 7:19 pm

So no more Aux cords either which screws anyone without Bluetooth media options in their cars. No thanks apple, the headphone jack on my iPhone is about the last thing on the list of improvements I'd ask you to make.

steve21
08/10/16 6:23 pm

What about using on an airplane ? Think I need my cord and I know I want the guy sitting next to me to use his.

ProudLiberal174 Massachusetts
08/10/16 5:32 pm

Not everyone has wireless headphones.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
08/10/16 4:12 pm

Its a way to force you to purchase their products.

jDinOR Oregon
08/10/16 12:44 pm

Insanely stupid if you like options. I will give odds Apple's going to make their headphones the only ones that will work with their devices in the not to distant future..

Abzzer Michigan
08/10/16 12:39 pm

Ok I could see this taking away the one problem... Getting knots in your headphone cords. But really I've heard that it's gonna be about Bluetooth so what if you don't have headphones that can support this command. Or can't afford it? It's all about Apple trying to make everything more sophisticated when really it just looks different but does the same exact thing...

jvc1133 61535
08/10/16 12:37 pm

I have an uncontrollable Apple fetish, but they are not customer friendly.

gevans792 Utah
08/10/16 11:44 am

My biggest complaint with Apple is how they don't follow the universal cords. I hate when my friends have different chargers and my phone is about to die.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/10/16 1:43 pm

The new Samsung note is a different plug and won't take the micro USB. And there is another brand of phone that not only the plug is different but so is the other end of the cord. Needs a special car charger and home plug

gevans792 Utah
08/10/16 10:48 pm

Everyone just needs to go universal. Life would be so much simpler.

whiplash29 ohio
08/10/16 11:04 am

You can get a lot better sound quality and surround sound with more of an hdmi cable.

phalnx Ohio
08/10/16 6:53 am

Nope. Wireless < Wired connection. Subject to interference, snooping, etc..

kelsey498 Colorado
08/09/16 10:06 pm

Rumor also has it that there will be an adapter to allow people with other types of headphones and accessories to continue using them. Calm down everyone.

cluney
08/10/16 9:50 am

That would be great if that's the case.

jDinOR Oregon
08/10/16 12:46 pm

Let me guess.. Another self created micro-market to suck more cash out of your pocket?

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/10/16 1:38 pm

While I have little doubt that such a piece will be available if enough people complain, I have zero expectation that it will come with the phone and less than zero that it will be free.

kelsey498 Colorado
08/10/16 2:53 pm

Google it. Not hard to find the info.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/09/16 9:49 pm

I am a merchant and I use something called the square... That is a credit card swiper that plugs into the auxiliary jack on a phone. Now what do I do?

dodofuzzic Canada
08/09/16 10:53 pm

Get a new one when it comes out or keep using the phone you have. Just cause a new phone comes out, doesn't mean you have to get it

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/10/16 1:45 am

Why would I buy a new phone and not use it ?

jDinOR Oregon
08/10/16 12:49 pm

Yeah! Just spend more money! Wow! I've been pumping boat loads of cash into Apple since the 80's and I'm pretty fed-up with the Cook version..

potatoes
08/09/16 9:43 pm

If so, I'll buy an iPhone 6s or android until the wireless headphone market becomes affordable, decent sounding, and low latency. I need headphones that I can easily switch between my mobile devices and my computer, my computer sure as hell doesn't have a lightning plug.

palindrome California
08/09/16 9:24 pm

More proprietary bullshit from Apple. They use these types of things to ENSURE you but Apple products.

You can't buy a standard charger because it has to be an apple one. You can't access your pictures or play/access/load music without Apple's software.... Now you can't use just any headphones because they have to be Apple compatible. Goodness. I LOVE iPhones but they're reaalllly making me consider going to Galaxy....

coloradical Vote or Shut Up
08/10/16 3:35 am

Don't try Galaxy, I made that mistake :-(

Hunter512x Kentucky Libertarian
08/09/16 9:00 pm

Motorola pulled an Apple before Apple. They removed their headphone jack on their recent Moto Z phone

CLT704
08/09/16 8:55 pm

Who supports this idea? Where are these 35% coming from? I can think of about 10 major issues but no positives. Someone explain!!!!!

dodofuzzic Canada
08/09/16 10:55 pm

Please explain your 10 problems with this. The current head phone Jacks are getting old and outdated. This newer version will provide better sound quality and a better head phone jack connection.
Could even look more sleeker too

peacenskis Alaska
08/09/16 8:41 pm

Oh great. Right after I spend $300 on a nice pair of Bose headphones. 🤔😡

peacenskis Alaska
08/09/16 8:42 pm

Hopefully, they will leave the headphone/aux and just something new. Fingers crossed.

cluney
08/09/16 5:08 pm

I have been loyal Apple customer for 10 years, but if they take out headphone jacks I'm switching. I drive a lot for work and use the aux jack exclusively.

dodofuzzic Canada
08/09/16 10:56 pm

Omg who says you have to buy the new phone when it comes out?? Just keep using your current phone!!

CutCopy Wedding
08/10/16 2:27 am

@cluney Dude you made a good point. I even changed my vote lol.

cluney
08/10/16 7:27 am

No i meant exclusively, as in I don't use any other form of connection.(headphones,Bluetooth)

I have always upgraded my phone every two years, I will keep my current phone until I'm ready to upgrade.

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
08/10/16 2:14 pm

I'm sure they'll make an adapter so you can use your AUX port still. And just for the cheap price of $199.99!

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
08/09/16 4:39 pm

Apple Users "guys we have problem! Lightening cables keep kinking up and chargers aren't working! What do we do?"

Apple "don't worry, we're just going to make you need to use the lightening cable port even more!"

Umm...no. Glad I went to android. Everyone on Bluetooth will kill batteries and make it more difficult for older users to use the music/video aspect.

voc I am...what I am
08/09/16 7:28 pm

I don't get it. Why would you use the Lightning port more?

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
08/09/16 7:32 pm

If you want to use an Auxiliary cord or regular headphones you'll need to get an adaptor that will plug into the lightening port.

voc I am...what I am
08/09/16 7:37 pm

I don't think that many people do that. I have a Bluetooth thing that plus into any aux port my phone would plug into. I like the idea of no chords all over the place. They give you headphones with all their phones, or you can buy some wireless ones for about $20. I already bought some for my family for our current phones. Way more convenient.

voc I am...what I am
08/09/16 7:38 pm

Oh and Bluetooth isn't that much of a drain on the battery. My Fitbit and my wireless headphones are connected to it and it doesn't use too much at all.

peacenskis Alaska
08/09/16 8:44 pm

I've never noticed that Bluetooth drains my battery any. In addition to anything else I use on Bluetooth throughout the day, my Apple watch is always connected to my iphone on Bluetooth.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
08/09/16 8:57 pm

Ok - if you use Bluetooth and never turn it off it does drain your battery, same if you leave wifi on especially in search/automatic connect mode.

The reason you may not notice it could because you always have it on. If you ever have your phone percentage at night, go to sleep and check it the next morning without any apps running and it will be lower, that's why. Server it depends, but it does lower the battery.

Either way I left Apple and not going back soon

naanderson531 late night thoughts
08/09/16 4:38 pm

They should at least have both options for the first phone released so people can test it and see if they like it.

hazhap1 Las Vegas
08/09/16 3:36 pm

Get your Apple headphones! On sale today for only $1,199.99!

voc I am...what I am
08/09/16 2:51 pm

I have no idea why people are complaining about this. They include headphones. I bought wireless headphones a while ago and love them. I haven't used the headphone jack in about a year

Khonjin Minnesota
08/09/16 3:38 pm

Every Apple product breaks within a month

voc I am...what I am
08/09/16 7:27 pm

Huh. My family has had their Apple phones for over a year and we haven't had any problems. Same with the 4 other versions we've had. Maybe it's the user?

potatoes
08/09/16 9:46 pm

Quite a few people will want headphones that sound better than apple's headphones. And I don't want wireless headphones because of latency primarily, also they're more expensive for the same or worse sound.

voc I am...what I am
08/10/16 4:51 am

A lot of people don't use apples headphones now. They buy their own. I generally don't watch video on my phone with headphones, so latency doesn't bother me. A lot of people on here are saying that if this rumor about the headphone jack is true they're leaving Apple. That's a dumb reason to leave. Android is a great OS. There are also a few phones that are superior to Apple. In a long list of reasons to leave, wireless headsets would be the last.

potatoes
08/10/16 4:58 am

I've thought about switching, this is just one more reason to. This alone isn't why I personally would switch.
It sounds like no headphone jack isn't a problem for you, but it's clearly a point of concern for a lot of people. Normally I'm pretty in favor of pushing the envelope with technology, but there's not much to criticize about the 3.5mm jack, and it's already on everything. That's my biggest problem, I want to unplug my headphones from my computer and put them into my phone. Ultimately this will probably drive wireless headphones to improve but I don't want to be a part of that while they're improving.

WyCud12 NY State
08/09/16 2:39 pm

Good move, but i wish they had done it years earlier because mine broke

DeathSheep Michigan
08/09/16 2:26 pm

If they remove the headphone jack, they insure I never buy another iPhone. As simple as that.

Hello android!

sgkitty new york
08/09/16 6:32 pm

Completely agree. No headphones, no Apple!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/09/16 2:01 pm

I think so. The 3.5mm audio jack (without an external headphone amp) just doesn't provide the audio performance available from the Lightning port, and doesn't offer better performance than was already available using earlier generations of Bluetooth. The only reason I can think of for keeping the dedicated audio jack is the ability to listen to the headphones while charging the device - not nearly enough to justify keeping it.

beckabee Ohio
08/10/16 7:26 am

No. Just no. Phones need to be able to do whatever they are capable of while charging. Streaming music sucks up battery life. Of course you have to be able to charge and have headphones at the same time.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/10/16 10:05 am

That's when you'd use Bluetooth headphones. Or, even if Apple doesn't supply it, the aftermarket will almost certainly offer an adapter that allows simultaneous charging and headphone use within weeks.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
08/09/16 1:27 pm

Sooner or later we need to stop trying to accommodate outdated technology and embrace new technology.
I am sure someone if not Apple will also be creating an adapter so all of your old headphones will still work.

fredfredjacon
08/09/16 1:41 pm

But what if someone wants to charge and listen music at the same time?

potatoes
08/09/16 9:50 pm

That's no reason to get in the way of innovation, fredfred. Honestly, having more than one port is a thing of the past. Apple's single port laptop is the greatest step forward in laptops since chiclet keyboards, I personally love having to unplug my mouse to charge the laptop.

fredfredjacon
08/12/16 4:26 pm

Haha at first I thought you were being serious

Capitan Elysium
08/09/16 1:18 pm

It was inevitable that someone would do this. It's a step in the right direction towards a future without wires.

Axl752 NY
08/09/16 12:53 pm

Looks like I will be staying with android in the future.

izak81 Indiana
08/09/16 12:32 pm

Just because their new headphones are wireless doesn't mean my old other pairs I already own are too. Ugh man. Ugh

RoDe Latinus wordsus
08/09/16 12:27 pm

No, now I'm going to have to either replace my headphones or buy a converter. I'm going to bet converters that don't diminish the sound quality are going to be pretty expensive. Plus, how do I listen to music when my phone is charging? Probably not a common concern, but for those who travel a lot it's kind of annoying.

ACEGUY Young Film Writer
08/09/16 12:00 pm

Just another way to make money.

mikemain OKC
08/09/16 11:59 am

So changing the chargers every 2 years wasn't enough?

08/09/16 12:06 pm

They have changed the charger once, four years ago

mikemain OKC
08/09/16 5:11 pm

I was exaggerating. I understand the importance of innovation but I think it could be phased in a little less abruptly.

08/09/16 7:36 pm

How could they do it less abruptly?

mikemain OKC
08/09/16 7:49 pm

They could have the capability to have cordless and regular headphones but I suppose at some point they would have to do away with the current jacks

08/09/16 9:29 pm

You already can have cordless headphones using Bluetooth

Liberty Lets Use Logic
08/09/16 12:07 pm

The point of eliminating the analog audio jack is that it's the limiting factor in the thickness of the phone.

MitchellRock Virginia Beach
08/09/16 11:41 am

No, that just makes it so they make more money... It forces people to buy new headphones from Apple, just like they do with their chargers already.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
08/09/16 11:49 am

Did you mean to say no? Your comment supports a yes.

08/09/16 11:50 am

Apple gives free headphones with their iPhones

Phiteros
08/09/16 3:40 pm

Apple gives free earbuds. What if you want over-the-ear headphones? Or noise canceling ones? Or a pair that are better for workouts? You'll have to get a special adapter or headphones. Plus, those headphones will be incompatible with any other device.

08/09/16 3:48 pm

They are making a push for wireless, which plenty of companies make. I assume they as well as many other companies will also make lightning headphones for people who want those.

Phiteros
08/09/16 5:47 pm

Then your options are down to paying a lot of money for wireless headphones or getting some that you can only use for an iPhone.

08/09/16 7:37 pm

Or getting an adapter so that any headphones can work

Phiteros
08/09/16 7:59 pm

So...paying more money. And having to deal with an extra piece of hardware.

08/09/16 9:28 pm

They may include an adaptor with the phone

Phiteros
08/09/16 10:03 pm

I find that unlikely. After all, pretty much every other phone uses microUSB to charge, and do they include an adapter for that?

08/09/16 11:16 pm

It honestly doesn't matter what other phone companies do. There are two real scenarios. One is that Apple will send an adaptor in the box to make everyone fee better about the switch. This is definitely possible as adaptors have already leaked. The second is that Apple doesn't provide an adaptor, where 3rd parties will quickly begin producing their own adaptors which will be fairly cheap. Either way it isn't a big deal and is being blown way out of proportion

Phiteros
08/10/16 7:18 am

The real point here is that it is completely unnecessary, doesn't really improve much, and makes Apple products slightly more annoying.

08/10/16 10:36 am

There definitely is a purpose. Either Apple will use the room freed up by the headphone jack for a bigger battery or just to make the phone thinner. You may not like the trade off, but that doesn't mean there isn't one

Phiteros
08/10/16 10:44 am

Or they're just doing it to increase their profit margins.

08/10/16 11:28 am

Yes, their goal is obviously to make a better phone that will appeal to customers. What exactly is bad about that?

Phiteros
08/10/16 12:06 pm

Because they're basically locking their purchasers into buying and using exclusively Apple tech. Creating a semi-monopoly.

08/10/16 7:42 pm

No they aren't. As I said previously customers will have a myriad of 3rd party options to choose from

Phiteros
08/10/16 9:22 pm

That are only used for Apple. So then you need to keep buying their products.

08/10/16 11:50 pm

Bluetooth devices are able to be used universally. Regular headphones will work on the new iPhone, but it will require an adaptor that you can take on and off so that the user can use the headphones on their iPhone and any other device. Consumers won't be trapped into buying iPhones, quit fooling yourself

Phiteros
08/11/16 12:07 am

I have already stated my arguments against all of those things. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that this is an unnecessary, unhelpful hassle.

ainsleyy previously kitkat123
08/09/16 11:29 am

i dont have them yet but i've already lost them

CudOfCow Oregon
08/09/16 11:28 am

Auto connect wire free Bluetooth should be the norm going forward.

08/09/16 11:51 am

It hasn't been confirmed by Apple, so it remains a rumor

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
08/09/16 11:19 am

Part of Apple's long term plan of "Planned Obsolescence," to keep us all hooked & coming back like junkies, for our next "update fix"😳

08/09/16 11:52 am

This has nothing to do with planned obsolescence. If anything, it would encourage people to stay with their older phones

jmcolema Greensboro
08/09/16 11:16 am

I originally said no but it will make the phone lighter and make room for other tech inside the housing so I changed it to yes.

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
08/09/16 11:10 am

If the earphones are free and it will be water resistant, then sure.

TomM
08/09/16 11:32 am

It cannot be completely sealed and waterproof until it gets wireless charging. If you're just looking for one less opening for water then I agree with you.

08/09/16 11:53 am

That's not true, you can have a waterproof phone without wireless charging. Just look at the android phones currently offering waterproof designs

TomM
08/09/16 2:25 pm

I thought they were just water resistant. Can you put it in a bowl of water and keep it there for some time and it'll still work. If yes that's news to me.

08/09/16 3:31 pm

Yeah, even the iPhone 6S is water resistant. You can put it in a bowl of water for hours and it shouldn't break.

gonzoboy Arizona
08/10/16 2:58 am

@mhillsman you may be correct that an iPhone won't "break", but even if the phone's functions aren't compromised, it's worth would be. iPhones have an LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) that will void warrantees, and some stores can even refuse service. THIS is amongst the FIRST things they look for prior to service, and another reason why you may be offered little to nothing if you attempt to exchange it. Unfortunately, these indicators don't even have to be fully submerged to show positive for moisture. Environments with concentrated steam (showering, for instance) have been known to trigger the indicator. My humble suggestion: Avoid that bowl... 🙂

08/10/16 10:35 am

The indicator is only triggered if water has gotten inside the phone, which would mean the phone is already broken. Again it shouldn't happen due to he water resistivity of the newer iPhones. I'm not saying you should test its limits, but I think if you dropped it in water for a couple seconds you would definitely be fine

bonemouth Trump District
08/09/16 11:05 am

I've been Apple supporter for 15 years now and I even try to droid at one time didn't like it but now I think I'll make a sacrifice and find something that I don't have to replenish everything every time I buy new phone Apple you lost a customer

08/09/16 11:54 am

How do you have to replenish everything if they give you free earphones?

kywrite augusta, ga
08/09/16 11:04 am

They're trying to make the phone more compact and powerful, so every little bit they can eliminate counts. With more people and devices moving to Bluetooth and other wireless technologies, this is a move that makes sense.

camlop San Diego, CA
08/09/16 10:55 am

I'm probably gonna have to keep my current phone in the car to use as an iPod.

kywrite augusta, ga
08/09/16 11:05 am

That's what my husband does with his old phone.

rons on top of the world MA
08/09/16 10:54 am

They like to have proprietary control of everything.

coggy iowa
08/09/16 10:53 am

Thus the reason my family replaced all our apple devices. Apple ensures their product is incompatible with anything except Apple products. I believe this will eventually lead to their demise.