VirtualCongress August 8th, 2016 8:45pm

President Political nominates @Jadeburt to the Associate Supreme Court position.

Senate101 San Diego
08/09/16 11:03 pm

This has been open for more than 24 hours.

Senate101 San Diego
08/08/16 9:25 pm

While I only agree with him on a half of issues so far, I strongly support confirming jadeburt. His opinions have been thoughtful and he is well qualified for the court.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
08/09/16 6:53 am

Im with Senate. I dont agree with Jade on a lot of shit, but I dont really agree with anyone more than half the time.

His response are well-thought out.

👍🏾

BillieJoeCobain Earth turns from sanity
08/08/16 6:50 pm

What is your stance on the courts decision about marriage equality in 2015?

BillieJoeCobain Earth turns from sanity
08/08/16 6:51 pm

And what is your stance on drugs? Is it a state issue or a federal one? Does the federal government have the power to ban drugs?

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
08/08/16 8:28 pm

With regard to the 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges decision, I agree with most of Scalia's dissent and decry "the Court’s claimed power to create “liberties” that the Constitution and its Amendments neglect to mention."

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
08/08/16 9:02 pm

With regards to the war on drugs, I firmly believe that it is a proper role of government to regulate the consumption of harmful drugs for public safety reasons, however I could be persuaded that the commerce clause doesn't give that power to the federal government and it is left to the states. See Gonzales v. Raich for an example of this. I don't agree with everything in that case, but find the majority's arguments persuasive and they essentially make the same distinction between the role of the US govt and the states on this issue.

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
08/08/16 3:00 pm

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me. Go ahead and ask them and I'll answer after 5pm mountain time. For those wondering about my credentials, I've been a member of the VC for over a year now and my most recent bill privatized Amtrak.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
08/08/16 2:13 pm

Jade- what's your position on Citizens United?

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
08/08/16 2:54 pm

I'm off work in an hour. I'll answer any and all questions then. Short answer is that I support the court's decision. It was a logical extension of Colorado v. FEC which ruled that limiting political spending limited free speech. By the way, liberal justices Breyer and Souter joined that opinion with Breyer writing the majority opinion.

Carcano Luke 10 19
08/08/16 2:01 pm

Too immature. He beat me in a debate once so I'm butthurt.

EthanF9877
08/08/16 1:52 pm

What makes him qualified to hold this position, I know very little about the nominee.

political Georgia
08/08/16 2:11 pm

He is a strict Constitutionalist, and he has been fairly active. SCOTUS is now balanced among different ideologies. Jade expressed interest for the job while I tried to advertise the open position. I think he's a good choice, but I do wish that I would be able to advertise opening positions better without creating so many polls.