political August 8th, 2016 8:26pm

Congresswoman Gwen Moore introduced legislation that would require wealthy taxpayers who have at least $150,000 in itemized deductions to be drug tested.

corino Utah
08/11/16 6:39 pm

Not sure how you take drugs and be competent enough to get that many deductions.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
08/10/16 5:50 am

Drug tests for Congress. Maybe then that would explain why some are so batshit crazy

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
08/09/16 5:47 pm

To what end? That's just her own sour grapes as she acts like an infantile derelict. Welfare recipients absolutely SHOULD be drug tested every 6 months. If you are on the public dole you can't take illegal drugs. We aren't paying for it!

CoffeeNow Fiery but peaceful rioter
08/09/16 2:18 pm

She's really taking this hating rich people thing too seriously

Liberty Lets Use Logic
08/09/16 5:13 am

Trolling, haha.

Mark3
08/09/16 2:50 am

Gwen Moore?
Cue the theme to On Golden Pond (the section with the loons.)

Diogenes ...
08/08/16 11:07 pm

When does congress get drug tested?

BlueLine Georgia
08/08/16 3:42 pm

I'm all for it if we start drug testing welfare recipients

PamGH Washington
08/08/16 3:46 pm

This is a response to that type of legislation. I think she makes a fine point. And I agree, if we drug test for government benefits then test everyone that benefits from the government, including the rich and famous. Oh and how about elected officials being subject to random drug tests too.

Carcano Fir Na Dli
08/08/16 5:13 pm

I came here to say the exact same thing.

Metamorphosis
08/08/16 7:30 pm

I agree. They are just wealthy welfare recipients.

Mark3
08/09/16 2:39 am

It's an absurd idea to think giving away money that has been forcibly taken from people is the same as allowing someone who has earned their money to keep it.

There is no logic in comparing the two.

Arya8
08/09/16 8:27 am

Agreed Mark3.

I do think drug testing congress may be at least as beneficial as drug testing welfare recipients. Though I'm not for that either, only because it's been proven to be a colossal waste of money.

corino Utah
08/11/16 6:42 pm

Egad, why don't we just drug test everyone.

Senate101 San Diego
08/08/16 3:30 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

TomM
08/08/16 2:53 pm

I think needs a drug test and a mental health evaluation.

TomM
08/08/16 2:59 pm

I think *Gwen

dominiclandry
08/08/16 2:04 pm

Just rewrite the tax code...

cowboy Come on, man
08/08/16 2:29 pm

Or just get rid of it altogether and have a flat tax.

dominiclandry
08/08/16 2:41 pm

That would be rewriting it

cowboy Come on, man
08/08/16 2:44 pm

There's a little more to it than just rewriting it. The IRS has to be abolished first.

rons on top of the world MA
08/08/16 1:57 pm

Idiots are jealous of people with money.

cowboy Come on, man
08/08/16 1:54 pm

Congress first.

susanr Colorado
08/08/16 1:45 pm

Dumb, but I believe it's being done in reaction to legislation that requires drug testing for other things, which mostly has been shown to be essentially a waste of time and money.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 1:52 pm

The wealthy aren't getting taxpayer money like welfare recipients.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
08/08/16 1:56 pm

Kscott, what do you think those bank bailouts were?

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 2:03 pm

Is the legislation only for the bankers? NO. Even if it were it would be discriminatory.

And yes, I'm against ALL bailouts due to mishandling of funds. However, the bailout money didn't go straight to their pockets but rather to the institutions. They never should've been able to give bonuses though.

susanr Colorado
08/08/16 2:03 pm

kscott - I think the analogy is that they're getting itemized deductions; the implication being (I suppose) that they don't deserve deductions if they are using the money for illegal drugs. Note that I called it dumb (not that I support drug testing for anyone who gets other government benefits, though); I'm just suggesting why it was done.

DrW - The bank bailouts didn't have anything to do with individuals' personal income tax, though, and weren't really even intended to be helpful to the corporate owners either, but to the country's economy. Only slightly similar situation, and not a good analogy.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 2:28 pm

Susan, a person using their personal income to buy drugs is not equivalent to a business getting a bailout. They're not related. I see you addressed that in the 2nd part of your comment.

susanr Colorado
08/08/16 2:33 pm

Yep, exactly why I said it wasn't a good analogy.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/08/16 1:42 pm

That is fucking asinine. I have no problem with anybody taking all the legal deductions even if they're on a combination of heroin cocaine and meth.

And if they do pop positive so what they are taking a legal deduction.

08/08/16 1:38 pm

I oppose, on the basis that I think all drugs should be legal and it's not the government's business if you choose to partake. #freedom

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 1:47 pm

I agree. As long as I don't have to pay them welfare and food stamps because they can't work.

08/08/16 1:50 pm

I don't know what that's got to do with the poll topic, but since you brought it up, obviously my comment means that those on welfare shouldn't be drug tested either.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 1:53 pm

His point is that if you're spending money on drugs then you can't go to the govt and complain that you don't have enough money for food and healthcare.

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 1:54 pm

If you want to party it's your business. But if you are getting free money from me for sitting around, then you need to be looking for a job. And you're not going to pass a drug test for work. If you want to party , you can do it on your own dime. How can you be fine with that?

08/08/16 1:58 pm

"And you're not going to pass a drug test for work."
You sure about that? There's plenty of ways to fool a drug test. I smoked marijuana less than an hour before my drug test.

"How can you be fine with that?"
Because it's none of my business who chooses to use drugs, nor yours, nor the government's.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 2:01 pm

WRONG!! If they're getting taxpayer money then it IS our business.

08/08/16 2:03 pm

You're entitled to your opinion, definitely. But don't make me chuckle by trying to tell me my opinion is "wrong" 😂😂😂

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:17 pm

Laser, as a business owner, do I have the right to deny a job to you if you do drugs or drink on the job?

08/08/16 2:22 pm

Well now we've gotten way off topic. Curious as to why you clarified "on the job". If you're trying to draw a parallel between being on the clock for an employer and those on welfare being "on the clock" for the government... Good luck with that.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 2:26 pm

Your opinion is wrong. If I'm forced to pay money towards someone's living expenses you're damn right it's my business whether they're working the system.

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:27 pm

It's a little off topic but we're still talking about drug testing for benefits. But, an employer has the right to deny employment to someone based on drug use. I'm not sure how that works in Colorado, but should I have the right to deny my money to go to someone based on drug use? It's my money in both circumstances. Should I be okay with paying people to sit around and use my money to party with? I work pretty hard for my money. Shouldn't I have a say in who gets it?

08/08/16 2:30 pm

Again, your opinion is just as valid as mine. Don't worry though, I won't stoop to the level of trying to call it "wrong". Disagreeing with it doesn't make it wrong. One day you'll learn.

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:30 pm

The government is taking my hard earned money at gun point. Should I just be a pansy and just agree to every use of my money that "they" deem important? Because we all know that they know better than I how my money should be spent.

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:32 pm

Did you work for that money and provide a service to the community? Did the people that paid your salary get something for their hard earned money? That's not the same thing as welfare.

08/08/16 2:34 pm

Here's the thing, Breck. Once you pay your taxes, it's no longer your money. It's now the government's, and it's up to our elected officials to decide what to do with it. When somebody patronizes your business, is the money they handed over to you still their money after the transaction is complete? Do your customers have a right to know how you spend the money that was once theirs?

08/08/16 2:39 pm

(Much less, have any say whatsoever in how you spend *your* money?)

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:39 pm

You're half right, the boss of the company has the right to decide if he wants to pay you to work. If he doesn't want to employ you, because you do drugs and aren't doing your job, then he can deny you more work and let you go. Same with you, but you work for the government, so maybe the rules are different since it's almost impossible to fire you.

08/08/16 2:42 pm

If you don't like how the government spends *their* money, keep that in mind the next time you go to the polls. But to suggest that the government should be forced to use even more of *their* money to drug test those who receive assistance from *them*, while at the same time violating those folks' personal freedoms, seems ridiculous to me. But again, just my opinion, and opinions are just opinions. My opinion is no more right than yours, and vice versa. And the world keeps a'spinnin.

08/08/16 2:44 pm

Nah, it's not impossible to fire me. In fact, some folks want to abolish my agency entirely. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I'm doing drugs while on the clock, but now we're too far too topic that I almost forgot what the original poll topic was, which is dealing with drug testing wealthy folks with deductions, which I oppose (see my original comment).

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 2:47 pm

Good debate laser. Thanks. Gotta go. See ya.

08/08/16 2:48 pm

Have a great afternoon Breck 🙂

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 4:12 pm

"I hope you understand that as a federal employee, I am technically paid with money that is collected as tax revenue. Is it your business what I do in my free time? Nope 😋"

Apples and oranges and totally unrelated. You're paid to do a job. And as long as you're doing it then there's no issue with that. But welfare is provided to people doing nothing.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 4:29 pm

"When somebody patronizes your business, is the money they handed over to you still their money after the transaction is complete? Do your customers have a right to know how you spend the money that was once theirs?"

Not surprisingly this is a dumb comment. A patron willingly gives you remuneration in exchange for a product or service. NOT even close to what taxes are.

08/08/16 4:38 pm

You're pretty late, Breck and I already concluded this discussion. But you're right, public schools, postal service, paved roads, etc etc aren't services. 😂😂😂 You're too cute Scott. Have a good night!

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 7:23 pm

LOL, postal service? This isn't the 90s. I send my kids to private school so shouldn't have to fund other people's kids. Keep trying!

08/08/16 7:25 pm

LOL just because you choose not to use the services that you pay for doesn't make them nonexistent. Just makes you not very bright.

kscott516 Show Time
08/08/16 7:35 pm

Nonexistent? Are you high? Who said that would make them nonexistent? It makes them not MY services. Follow the logic, kiddo. And if it's too difficult, just ask an adult for help. SOH needs a teen version for young, naive users like you.

08/08/16 7:37 pm

Not your services? So you're not a taxpaying American?

(This is too good)

08/08/16 7:50 pm

If you don't want to pay the cost of living in a developed, civilized society (nor utilize the services and benefits offered to you in return by an organized governmental system), perhaps the USA isn't for you. There's places on earth that may suit you more appropriately.

I know I've given you a lot to ponder regarding your future, so I'll let you get to it. Take care sweetheart 😘

kscott516 Show Time
08/09/16 5:24 am

I pay more taxes each year than you earn before taxes are taken out. The Constitution doesn't provide for the govt to take taxes for all the things we pay taxes for now. The govt has been overreaching for more than 100 yrs.

08/09/16 8:08 am

"I pay more taxes each year than you earn before taxes are taken out."

You pay more than 70k in taxes? Bullshit. Get real LOL.

badattitude no place like home
08/08/16 1:34 pm

Does she want to drug test welfare and food stamp recipients too? I'm guessing that would be wrong.

political Georgia
08/08/16 1:36 pm

She believes that Paul Ryan is "Criminalizing the poor." You can't make this stuff up.

gow488 Wisconsin
08/08/16 1:29 pm

That's dumb.

political Georgia
08/08/16 1:28 pm

This poor old lady doesn't realize the difference in someone living off of the government and someone who has earned deductions. In addition, she penalizes a specific group of people.

I'm just trying to inform you all how crazy our lawmakers are.