Show Of Hands December 19th, 2012 12:00am

If you had to pay $2/month for use of your local library, would you?

kube
12/26/12 4:46 am

Yes, I live outside city limits, so I pay $30/year. Best annual investment. Books and movies

spcooper
12/25/12 8:05 pm

We already pay taxes to support and run the library systems. We should not be charged to use what we already pay for!

susanr Colorado
12/25/12 4:07 pm

My town's main library just renovated, too. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/24/12 5:13 pm

I agree! the internet just doesn't stand up to a real library. I love the idea of storytelling with dance!:) and I too have so many fond memories of going to the library as a child, and that was before they even renovated it. it was lovely then, and now they've really taken it into the 21st century.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/24/12 5:06 pm

you make a great point - just what I was saying about my library. people just don't realize all the benefits anymore because they haven't set foot in a library since the 90's. but it's so worth the money.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:50 am

If I actually used my local library, yes. I rarely use mine though.

susanr Colorado
12/23/12 3:21 pm

Not really. What makes you say that? Do you read much? If you have children, or know some children, do they read much?

susanr Colorado
12/23/12 3:19 pm

No, they're not. Most books aren't available on the internet, at least not for free.

Think Lovin Life
12/23/12 10:55 am

The local library is an irrelevant artifact of days gone by ... librarians, like buggy whip manufacturers need to recognize and retool.

sarahedwards OKC
12/22/12 3:03 pm

Oh come on people! It's 2 bucks a month! Sometimes libraries just can't cut it. They really care about children and even help students with schoolwork. Many have great programs for kids, teens and adults. You can't spare 2 dollars a month?

cowboy Come on, man
12/22/12 12:55 pm

Then give more. Its your right and there's no law against giving more to your government.

susanr Colorado
12/22/12 10:50 am

Hardly! I wouldn't be able to find 1/100 of the books that I read on the internet. I'm more likely to buy used paperbacks, share with my daughter & sometimes others, and then recycle through Goodwill or Friends of the Library, but I do use the library as well.

MrsKryten
12/22/12 7:51 am

That's because you do not pay taxes that support the library but city residents do. Seems fair to me.

LitasDead
12/21/12 11:26 pm

Yes, we all know taxes pay 4 library's. Would I pay $2 a month 4 a library I go 2 mayb once a year? Hell yes! The Internet DOES NOT COMPETE with a true library! If u really believe the Internet is better then a library? Well, I feel sorry 4 u. U r missing out! p.s. I DO KNOW HOW TO SPELL! ;-)

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
12/21/12 9:27 pm

I would live there if I had a way to get there but my dad is getting up there in years, and everyone is busy, so...but when it gets warm out again, maybe I should invest in a bike

teaparty Cleveland
12/21/12 9:24 pm

Our library is #1 in the nation, of course I would pay.

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
12/21/12 8:12 pm

Do not go there when it is free.

susanr Colorado
12/21/12 7:33 pm

...a public resource are very shortsighted.

susanr Colorado
12/21/12 7:31 pm

..a modern dancer, had her own dance company, in her youth now does storytelling (with dance) at libraries. The library here has tons of activities for kids & adults. People who think "libraries are defunct, it's all on the internet" are VERY wrong. And those who don't want to support...

susanr Colorado
12/21/12 7:26 pm

That's really lovely, corny. Some of my favorite memories of my daughter's childhood are of me reading to her, us reading together, & later her reading to me. We visit the library once a week & bring home a stack of books - and read while we were there, too. My daughter's aunt, who was...

bonemouth Trump District
12/21/12 5:45 pm

We already do pay taxes for libraries now they want to nickel and dime us because they want programs that we won't support that they have to have money for. Why is it that every program that helps everyone has to have a levy but the programs that help only a few has to be passed under the table.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:34 am

see, this right here is why we need to preserve things like libraries which harbor intelligence. because otherwise, people will just get their information from the internet and turn out like... ^that.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:21 am

THIS is what communities need! a place that enchants and inspires people to read from a young age. they also offer tons of activities and educational programs. if you ask me, anyone here who isn't taking advantage of all that is seriously missing out on something very special.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:19 am

the children's section of our library was renovated in 2006, and it's beautiful now - like stepping into a fairy tale. they offer so much more than you can get on the internet. I've watched kids literally dragging their parents up the stairs in the library to get there, and it makes me think...

dogsaver new Jersey
12/21/12 9:43 am

I pay taxes to pay for the library and other government services. I should not have to pay again. Here is a novel idea: how about we streamline government and make it efficient . Oh wait, Obama's in office that will never happen.

Rio76 Wild West
12/21/12 9:20 am

Libraries are becoming literary dinosaurs. I have spent lots of time in libraries growing up, but with advances and availability of technology for our reading sources, libraries are becoming obsolete, and a waste of taxpayers money.

brinrawson Knoxville and DC
12/21/12 8:13 am

If the county (libraries are a county thing around here) wasn't going to give the library enough money and they were that desperate, I would. Even though I don't really use the library.

EarlyBird Portland
12/21/12 6:48 am

Wow! What an ignorant comment!

SugarShaq
12/20/12 11:52 pm

Call Obama. He'll make it fair

form Winter Springs, FL
12/20/12 11:21 pm

Yep, I got it ;) I wanted to let him know just how proud of being a super-moron I am by paying even more then the questioned $2.

zyga
12/20/12 11:00 pm

I would but I don't know where it is...

chile safer than congress
12/20/12 9:41 pm

Great! You and the other four people can raise the funds to keep doors open.

The majority should not be taxed to pay for limited use projects.

stephie4 Shockadelica
12/20/12 9:05 pm

I definitely would now that I use the Overdrive app and check out a bunch of e-books free of charge. I pay $8 for Netflix, $2 for a library card is more than generous. Keep them free for students, the rest of us can check our couch cushions for the monthly fee.

micah535 Missouri
12/20/12 8:44 pm

I wouldn't voluntarily pay monthly because I don't use it that much. But I value the existence of libraries, so if my taxes were raised and the money given directly to fund libraries, I wouldn't complain.

Olivia420=] Maryland
12/20/12 8:20 pm

Deffinetly pay because I like books and library's and I hate reading off if the kindle things real books are so mutch better

runamok NoVa
12/20/12 8:20 pm

I wouldn't but only because I don't use it now. I would pay for my university library...for school.

Olivia420=] Maryland
12/20/12 8:19 pm

I sead no only because I don't use the public library that much but I use the school library like a champ I have checked moor books out at school than any other kid at my school! I love to read and I still hang out with friends nearly everyday! But anyway once I get out of school I would...

TheAntiLib Dutchess County, NY
12/20/12 7:29 pm

I already pay for it through taxation

arborfamilia on top of the hill
12/20/12 6:57 pm

Yes, and for a LOT of people, libraries are their only opportunity to access it.

PetePuma Oregon
12/20/12 6:55 pm

I live just outside the city limits of the city in which the library is located. I pay $60/yr, because I am not a city resident. Yet, this community library is interlinked with other major city libraries. So if you live in the city limits, you have free access to all. Doesn't seem very fair.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
12/20/12 6:52 pm

Pretty sure I already do, in taxes. That said, I'd happily pay $24/year for the library: that's cheaper than most media subscription services and it includes access to thousands of magazines, CDs, and movies. Oh right, and I hear they have books?

chile safer than congress
12/20/12 6:48 pm

You both are f*ing clueless. For larger libraries and schools, The five-year recurring costs are often more than the initial expenses of capital projects.
Just because the building exists, does not justify the need. If that were so, we'd still have gas lamps on city streets and crews to maintain.

susanr Colorado
12/20/12 6:31 pm

vstorm, do you think the property taxes of rental property owners come out of their personal piggy banks? Or could it be that rent *includes* an appropriate share of that tax?

susanr Colorado
12/20/12 6:28 pm

This is the saddest reason I've seen offered here for not having public libraries.

susanr Colorado
12/20/12 6:24 pm

What universities are doing this? Sure wasn't happening at the University of Cincinnati when I left there 2 yrs ago.

susanr Colorado
12/20/12 6:22 pm

The. There are a LOT of things you probably shouldn't do.