Show Of Hands December 3rd, 2012 12:00am

Should employers be required to provide their employees with free contraception and birth control, even if it runs counter to the religious principles of the organization?

ishady 86451132020
12/11/12 4:12 am

Here's a novel idea. Be concerned with your employees health and well being then sit back and watch productivity skyrocket. Worth a shot no?

susanr Colorado
12/09/12 8:30 pm

RebelFury, if you don't mind a personal question, do you have medical insurance through an employer?

1SpecialSong New York
12/09/12 12:02 am

Oh my gosh, no! You want birth control...you get it yourself!

meeksb11
12/08/12 9:53 pm

Whos denying their rights? You can buy your own contraceptives if you want them. & when theyre being forced to pay & contribute to a cause they dont believe in its the same affect as if theyre using it theirself

meeksb11
12/08/12 9:49 pm

? How is anyone taking away your healthcare decision? Theyre just saying that they dont wanna pay for someone elses when they dont like it to begin with. & blood transfusions is healthcare, condoms arnt. If you want to be sexualy active thats fine you can buy your own contraceptives

meeksb11
12/08/12 9:46 pm

Of course not, leaving alone the fact that contraception is not healthcare. Its giving government power beyond their limits & promoting promiscuity.

legofrenchceltic
12/08/12 8:50 am

Tommysq do you even know how close minded you are. Hundreds of people are molested and the government covers it up or a corporation or BOTH. "You can love your country that doesn't mean you should trust your government" you know who said that... A CATHOLIC by the nickname of JFK.

legofrenchceltic
12/08/12 8:42 am

We should respect all beliefs majority and minority ones. Should a catholic fund an abortion. Should a rasta pay for a man/women to amputate.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:12 am

I'll go with the woman herself. I pay for my meds they can too. I don't see why this is such a big deal.

Oh, that's right, your beloved Obama promised you as long as you voted for him. Taxes and force are no way to get what you want. Grow up folks.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:10 am

How about doing away with that $11bn a year? There, I just saved the taxpayer a bunch of money!

Your liberal logic is no good here.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:08 am

It's never "free." Nothing is "free." Someone somewhere paid for it. And in this Democrat driven world they probably didn't have a choice.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:06 am

You can "think its a good idea" all day long. The problem is when you use the guns of government to force that good idea on others.

Take responsibility for yourself.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:03 am

If my choices are pay for them not to have a kid or pay for their kid when they have one.

Then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this nation.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:01 am

Since when is it your "right" to get free stuff from your employer? Get real lady! Pay for your own shit like the rest of us! Stop blaming someone else for your own irresponsibility. Grow a pair!

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 5:00 am

Agreed. It's gone from being a nice perk to a "right." It's absolutely ridiculous.

But it's easy to rally people against "The Evil Corporation" even if that business puts food on their table. Americans are such a simple people they fall for anything.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 4:58 am

I have a pill I have to take every day or I have extreme difficulty eating and sleeping due to a condition beyond my control. I pay for my meds.

You want the Pill for free for an act you do voluntarily? I'll point out no one is lobbying for free condoms for men. Food for thought.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
12/08/12 4:56 am

Government should not rule by force. They aren't trying to make your healthcare decisions, they aren't in your doctor's office. What's really happening is you are using the guns of government to force them to pay for your expenses. So be honest about it at least. You don't like it then quit.

lizziemos New Jersey
12/07/12 8:24 pm

If u cant afford it dont do it

mjohn620
12/07/12 2:56 pm

Yeah, except the wall can answer back, but only with jibber jabber that makes no sense...

mjohn620
12/07/12 2:55 pm

Yes, because lots of companies are sitting on millions of unbudgeted money just waiting to spend it on OBSCENE fines... How about the better idea being that the government quits trying to make every citizen feel entitled to everything for free?

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/07/12 6:40 am

@mjohn.
It's like talking to the wall, isn't it?

NYevo NY
12/07/12 4:06 am

@mjohn: a better idea for that "employer" would to not offer health insurance rather than trying to change the law for everyone else

NYevo NY
12/07/12 4:04 am

If a Religious Institution (because thats the employer we're really talking about) is gonna have a say about what the laws are with regard to health care then I think it's time that they start paying taxes and pay for their say like everybody else

ajaashkea Texas
12/06/12 11:58 pm

Sad if your relationship isn't more than sex. There are ways to track your cycle so you know what days you are fertile or not. It just takes effort and I realize most people are just lazy.

ajaashkea Texas
12/06/12 11:53 pm

If you don't want children or an STD, and can't afford birth control or condoms, then don't have sex! No one is forcing you to "do it"!

ajaashkea Texas
12/06/12 11:51 pm

I'm sorry, am missing something? Since when is sex a right? Why do people not want to take responsibility for their actions?

RayX quit
12/06/12 8:24 pm

Are you saying you can pay for your own sex?

mjohn620
12/06/12 6:43 pm

Then don't work for them...

july475
12/06/12 6:13 pm

I don't care what people religious beliefs are it doesn't give them a right to make my health care decision....are we going to not cover blood transfusions, vaccinations, and mental health care some religions don't believe that kind of health care

barbearnj Dreaming of Banff
12/06/12 4:30 pm

Absolutely not. Vermont, please secede from the Union already!

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:52 pm

And, back to my original point, no one's rights are being denied. If someone wants birth control, no one is stopping them from buying it themselves. People confuse rights with entitlements...

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:51 pm

The question asks if employees should be required to provide FREE contraceptives and FREE birth control to their employees regardless of their religious beliefs.

EarlyBird Portland
12/06/12 3:25 pm

Mj - maybe I misunderstood something. Isn't the question referring to the employer providing insurance that covers birth control, to the employee?

skibrush Missouri
12/06/12 3:15 pm

Mass castration is far cheaper.

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:06 pm

You can, mass. Just pay for it yourself like everyone else has to!

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:05 pm

If they are "unplanned" then that means they would have been using bc, right? Because general common sense says that, if you're not planning on becoming pregnant, then you use birth control. You make no sense.

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:02 pm

So your "studies" that have been done showing that it will cost taxpayers less in the long run is already proven wrong by simple statistics in today's world. It's not rocket science... Try and keep up.

mjohn620
12/06/12 3:00 pm

My point that you completely ignored in order to sound as liberal as possible (mission accomplished), is that you generally mention studies being done and I'm telling you that people that already HAVE free bc are having more children than those who have to pay for it!

mjohn620
12/06/12 2:56 pm

No one's denying their right to have it! Why is not paying for something equivalent to denying their rights?? And who ever said that it is a RIGHT to have a third party pay for your birth control?

tabbser
12/06/12 10:42 am

Employers should provide nothing. It's ridiculous that health care is tied to your employment. It's your own personal responsibility.

EarlyBird Portland
12/06/12 10:07 am

Not providing birth control to people who don't want children is a huge problem stemming from religion.
This is one of the reasons so many people are against organized religion. If you don't believe in birth control, don't use it. On the other hand, don't deny the rights of others who do.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/06/12 6:48 am

Not all birth control is used to prevent pregnancy. I have to be on the pill to regulate my cycle. Otherwise my monthly visitor only leaves for 3 days a month. There are some people that just shouldn't be having kids. It's either pay a few dollars now or pay more for 18 years.

mass305 Massachusetts
12/06/12 4:06 am

Married sex is ok? What if I have to work and my husband had to work in order to make ends meet? If I am pregnant and can't handle my.job anymore (not a safe place for a pregnant woman), our income would be cut in half. Why can't I have birth control?

uglyfemme Colorado Springs
12/06/12 12:27 am

Even if it doesn't change your mind, really look into it.

uglyfemme Colorado Springs
12/06/12 12:26 am

So you think families on medical assistance are stupid? Wow. Maybe they just WANT to have children but plenty of people have unplanned pregnancies.

uglyfemme Colorado Springs
12/06/12 12:22 am

You should just pay for the unplanned children costing taxpayers 11 billion a year. ;)

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 11:52 pm

Right?!? Are you telling me that people can't afford 75¢ a day, if that? Drink one less cup of coffee and you'll be set.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 11:50 pm

If you don't want to have a kid, then keep your damn pants on! It's not that hard. My wife and I waited 'til our wedding night, so can you.