Show Of Hands April 5th, 2012 12:00am

Do you have the same religious beliefs as your parents? (UserQ)

04/12/12 4:09 am

@purpleness how amazing! I believe things from the Bible that have scientific basis too! (mock shock/real seriousness)

purpleness Iowa
04/11/12 9:00 pm

We are all Baha'i. The good thing about that is we believe religion and science cannot contradict each other, so I actually believe things that have been scientifically proven.

purpleness Iowa
04/11/12 8:56 pm

@potatoes what is that? I'm not judging, just curious.

ridoggy
04/11/12 5:11 pm

Christian family. I'm a christian:)

hexin Wisconsin
04/11/12 12:06 pm

Kinda sorta. My father is more on the "spiritual" side and my mother is a non-practicing catholic. I'm catholic by birth according to her, but agnostic. Though I am a virgin Mary fan.

delofan
04/10/12 8:44 pm

No, and kinda. Me atheist, dad protestant, and mom apatheist. (doesn't believe in god, and really doesn't care about the idea)

04/09/12 2:17 pm

@snafu I totally understand. Catholicism mixed with anything is ideologically the same as dropping lithium into water.

snafu Washington
04/09/12 12:47 pm

Ha!
I grew up in a Mexican catholic household...needless to say once I was old enough I ran as far away from the church of cathol (Eddie Izzard anyone?) as I could and haven't found any church or religion that can interest me.
I'm agnostic and think my parent's beliefs are moronic.

04/09/12 10:19 am

Often the rough times, when reflected upon a year or more down the trail shows new light on why that happened and what was gained through it. I have noticed this in numerous situations myself in which I've been involved.

04/09/12 10:19 am

God often uses hard times to buff off the rough edges of his followers. Not to have them wallow in confusion. They often will be confused about the circumstances, but it ends up making sense if they think about it long enough, which for some is 70 years…

04/09/12 10:19 am

with him, and since I don't recall the exact wording, if you want to hear, feel free to listen. But his attitude was basically a, "Bummer. But guess what? I've still got a life to live, and I'll just have to live it differently than I had planned. I'm still going to move forward."

04/09/12 10:19 am

Greg Welch's career as a triathlete was cut short due to heart complications, and his attitude shows how to accept something you don't like. Ironman Legends of Triathlon Episode 5 (free on iTunes and nothing religious about the series, I'm just using it as an example) is an interview…

04/09/12 10:18 am

No. We don't. Likewise, we don't always know WHY God does things the way he does. He just does them, and you either accept it or you don't…

04/09/12 10:18 am

ministers to those who otherwise wouldn't have believed even if he had said yes to that request. There's a line in the Lorax film that puts it wonderfully. "It's just not done that way." Why isn't it? Do we know WHY the military does every single thing it does aside from the big picture?…

04/09/12 10:17 am

@racedogg that'd be the no, or not right now answer. Why? A ton of different reasons. The most odd answer is just that God decided "Nope, not this time." without telling you why. Sometimes it's because of sin, sometimes it's because it ends up allowing God to show his mighty hand in a way that…

04/09/12 8:55 am

What if you pray, "Please get rid of my mother's cancer," and then she dies? Many people pray for God to cure their sick ones or get them that raise they need just to feed their family and it never happens. How can that be explained?

04/09/12 8:50 am

you go find the answer and act on it as necessary.

04/09/12 8:50 am

@racedogg I'm not sure who said it, but whoever it was said that, "God already answers your prayer before you ask, it's a matter of finding his answer and how he has decided to answer that you do after you pray." In other words, you pray which gets you in a right mind to find the answer, and then…

04/09/12 8:37 am

Well Fiat, that's my point exactly. Prayer doesn't work at all if everyone who prays has the exact same chance of the answer being "yes" as anyone else. If God is going to change things arbitrarily, as things already change, then prayer has no physical effectiveness. Perhaps it just gives hope.

jonny323
04/09/12 8:07 am

I believe in God, but I would never follow the teachings of a human organization with the amount of power that most mainstream religions have.

04/09/12 4:28 am

for each person's life. When he's asked a prayer, there are 3 separate answers, and the only 3 he gives. Yes, no, and not yet.

04/09/12 4:28 am

@who ever brought up the subject of a family praying while a tornado killed them. How do you know they were praying for the storm to subside? How do you know they were Christians? Even if they were, God doesn't always answer prayers in the affirmative. He has a plan…

04/09/12 4:27 am

Or, if they really have a grip on themselves, the theft wouldn't have been committed in the first place.

04/09/12 4:27 am

the self-reporting feature. They find a problem, ask for forgiveness and fix it. In your example, they stole the bike, ask for forgiveness from God, go to the owner, give the bike back and its worth in cash and apologize for their theft. Then they never steal again…

04/09/12 4:27 am

I'm only selectively commenting on certain comments right now, but here's one I'd like to make.

@veritas… your example of your issue with Christian prayer excellently describes a lot of cultural Christians. The ones who have figured out what it means to be a Christian understand not to abuse…

potatoes
04/08/12 11:22 pm

Anyone familiar with Unitarian Universalism, how does one answer this question? I put "no..."

veritas1 Panda
04/08/12 6:31 pm

@brrr. That's what I get for typing at midnight while half asleep. :)

veritas1 Panda
04/08/12 6:29 pm

@4S. Nope. There are atheists who advocate positively affirm God's nonexistence. Those who have only a lack of belief. There are agnostic atheists. Agnostics. Then you have deist, judeo-Christians, pantheists, panenthiests, etc.

BB2014 Des Moines, IA
04/08/12 4:26 pm

My whole family are either Catholics or Baptists and I have decided to be Baptist and I do strongly believe in GOD and I believe Jesus Christ is our savior just like my family. GOD Bless everyone and I hope you all had a Blessed Easter :)

anarchy4s South Carolina
04/08/12 4:07 pm

Sevrandy: hahahaha...that's what I was thinking...you either believe in the possibility of a deity or you don't.

luna Minnesota
04/08/12 3:41 pm

Yes, for the most part. My dad reads the Bible very literally.

04/08/12 11:03 am

So now there are levels of atheism?

TabooGoose
04/08/12 10:45 am

All atheists, but me my brother and my dad are more atheist than my mom... Yay atheism!

04/08/12 9:36 am

@veritas My dad is an atheist, my mom is kind of Christian but doesn't go to church or anything. So all my beliefs I have come up with on my own. I've made that person journey several times and it's always really enlightening.

Brrrrrrrrr
04/08/12 2:59 am

It's causal loop, not casual loop.

HolyBabble Mississippi
04/08/12 2:30 am

Religion is for weak minded idiots.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/08/12 12:03 am

Ps nobody is God. We are all still human. It helps to have divine inspiration, but we still choose our own ways at times. A person who has found the way is still walking the path.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/07/12 11:59 pm

Racedogg I agree with you in that people feel they need to protect God or be his judge. Neither is necessary or fruitful. However, if they don't share what is taught in love, you may suffer the consequences. Nobody wants you to suffer needlessly.

veritas1 Panda
04/07/12 11:46 pm

To assert what you are implying would require you to substantiate evidentialism.

veritas1 Panda
04/07/12 11:45 pm

It's not a God of the Gaps argument as casual loops and chains cannot exist in a finite universe. Science CANNOT explain our origin without a first cause.

As empiricism itself is only a barrier of the human mid created by the human mind. The true self exists indepdnant of the observable world.

veritas1 Panda
04/07/12 11:41 pm

@TZEN It has nothing to do with the big bang. A is contingent upon the existence of B which in contingent upon C, but this cannot go on ad infinitum. A contingent entity cannot arise from nothing. So there must be a D (which is a first mover or a non-effect).

04/07/12 10:44 pm

@veritas Regardless you do have the burden of proof.

04/07/12 10:41 pm

@veritas... What the Themistic cosmological argument boils down to is an argument from ignorance (logical fallacy). The big bang could have been uncaused for all we know. The truth is that no one knows so far. Do you really want to think of your god as a receding pocket of scientific ignorance?

04/07/12 10:34 pm

@CS_Graham sorry I didn't realize that

KudosToYou California
04/07/12 10:27 pm

Wouldn't say it's the root of all evil though, just a tool for that.

KudosToYou California
04/07/12 10:26 pm

I think religion allows and is able to support too much selfishness, hate, and discord.

veritas1 Panda
04/07/12 9:43 pm

@race. We're your parents atheists?

04/07/12 6:08 pm

Fair enough Rosebud. I'm glad you're aware enough to understand that you too have faults within the rules of your religion, and therefore condemning others is wrong. I feel that most Christians lack this awareness.