Show Of Hands September 3rd, 2012 12:00am

Do you think you would enjoy life more if it were simpler and more old-fashioned (no digital technology or media, living off the land, less travel, etc.)?

Gelidity Pennsylvania
09/09/12 6:43 am

If I had been born into that kind of lifestyle and it were the only one I would ever know of, perhaps I might be all around happier. However, after growing up in today's world, there is no way I could live like that.

RoadToRuin
09/07/12 8:34 pm

I would jump into fire without tech

SARAH121212 Tennessee
09/07/12 3:24 am

like my grandpa says you can't miss what you never had.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
09/06/12 10:28 pm

I enjoy digital tech and traveling, but I intend to incorporate them into living off the land, and getting away from the city. I wish I could go back to when it was the norm to walk around open carrying.

SillyNiner New York
09/06/12 10:04 am

I hate most of technology. The hiccups, it breaking down, the viruses..When people actually TALKED when you called a business not some dammed robot...rude people..otherwise, I don't mind today..

sal10851 Eastern Tennessee
09/06/12 8:27 am

Go live on top of a mountain if you don't like technology. Duh.

Nikiroxx New York
09/05/12 11:01 am

People don't use technology for the advancement of the race. They use it to make the rich richer and the poor suffer.

09/05/12 6:47 am

Happiness os a decision.

THEohiostate
09/04/12 7:35 pm

For a couple days until i would realize i had to do it EVERY
SINGLE
DAY!

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
09/04/12 6:11 pm

Would be ok with less but not sure I want to rough it that much

trailready Maryland
09/04/12 5:59 pm

The good thing of phones, walkie talkies, radios, etc is fast communication if something happens or a message that would be best with much hadte

Liberty2016
09/04/12 5:23 pm

Not if it were all striped away from me

kubu1218 Texas
09/04/12 5:10 pm

Now that we have the luxuries of technology, I wouldn't want to go without, but it's not like civilization didn't exist without it at one time.

lmurder MDK
09/04/12 1:27 pm

I think I'd only go back in time for the manners. People were nice, considerate, classy and dressed nice.
Now we're slobs.

ChazDean
09/04/12 1:08 pm

ishady: you're a stupid fuck.

rvj1966
09/04/12 12:34 pm

Tech is a tool. If used properly and responsibly, life can be better. However, if you have the skills to live without it, you can save lots of $$$. Just saying... You might even improve your self image by through some DIY therapy.

EarlyBird Portland
09/04/12 12:28 pm

There's something about the 1800s I'm very drawn to.
The only 2 things I would have hated: using an out house, and going to dentist before Novocain was invented.

snafu Washington
09/04/12 10:37 am

Nope. I enjoy my technology. Life would be better if people were more considerate of each other and stopped being a-holes.

timeout Boston Strong
09/04/12 9:34 am

Living off the land? No, I like all the new teck stuff and modern conveniences that we have today.

Funny half the Repubs say yes. Just can't picture the suits hunting for their dinner and crapping in the woods.

omniku dot com
09/04/12 9:10 am

No way would I go back!! Spend a week "living off the land" AKA breaking your back and/or starving and you will be praising the migrant workers, truck drivers and grocery stores that allow you a higher standard of living than Louis XIV. Also, I like having a life expectancy greater than 40.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
09/04/12 8:14 am

I haven't seen anyone point out the obvious to the few that yearn for the "simple life", so I will. Turn off all your stuff, turn off the master breaker in the house, turn off the main gas valve , throw away all your car keys, stop flushing. There you go.

hippiedude fields of green
09/04/12 7:49 am

Ishady, you're dumb. Life had technology then. Think before that, to the 1800's or so. Before the crazys in the 1900's

hippiedude fields of green
09/04/12 7:46 am

Totally yes. Without a doubt. It would suck until you get used to it but it would be great.

milkdud2
09/04/12 7:45 am

No- I'd rather know when tornadoes are coming, or blizzards. I'd like to be able to drive my kids to a modern hospital when necessary. Or to refrigerate my food and cook it without starting a fire. I want to talk to my friends and relatives without waiting weeks for a letter to travel by horseback.

gcoopdogg In a Mansion in My Head
09/04/12 7:28 am

Lovejoy... Drilling for oil and coal IS old-fashioned!

09/04/12 7:16 am

Nope would not enjoy it. At all. The novelty of "Oooooh everything is so wonderful and simple!" would wear off in about a week. Technological progress actually makes life better.

MrWalrus Undergrid
09/04/12 6:20 am

Democrats love the modern life but do not want to drill for oil or mine coal. And at the same time tell us they are the smart ones!?!?

09/04/12 6:09 am

@ishady, what an ignorant hateful comment. Too bad you're to blind to see how that type of thinking is just as bad as your "stereotypical republican". Anyone with devout party loyalty needs a re-education. The middle of the road is best, not one extreme or the other. Compromise, not division.

ishady 86451132020
09/04/12 6:03 am

Yes these republicans miss the good old days of witch burnings and women and blacks weren't allowed to vote. The cold war and vietnam. Those were the days.

Rafic
09/04/12 5:56 am

I don't think life was easier.... Simple maybe but not easy.

pandora
09/04/12 5:26 am

I love technology & would have a very hard time doing my job without it. Still. I cook meals from "scratch" & don't use prepackaged foods. I also walk a lot. You just have to find the balance that works for you & your family.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
09/04/12 5:22 am

No way. I could still enjoy it, but I likes my tech

09/04/12 5:19 am

Boner; i got it, my point was love tech but the morality back then was more my taste.

09/04/12 5:15 am

KellyW; my point was they didn't use bodily functions for laughs and yeah maybe it was idealistic but compared to the crap our kids see today I'll take Andy Griffith over Charlie Sheen everyday! And enough of the over done every home has a gay couple thing, who cares?

Sakura-chan Reading and Writing.
09/04/12 5:14 am

Not really. . . Modern practices and technology has taken us really far

whatnow
09/04/12 3:30 am

The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems-Billy Joel

centexken Republic of Texas
09/04/12 2:32 am

I enjoy country living but not without modern tech. Think of me as a high tech redneck!

ChazDean
09/04/12 1:25 am

Bring back Pee-Chee folders.

lmurder MDK
09/04/12 1:16 am

Yes. I was a born mountain man. But I'll suffice with technology and hot women.

09/04/12 1:02 am

Life is better with technology FUC* the good old days

Bekka Just relaxing...
09/04/12 12:47 am

I love technology. I'm a modern girl!

Besides, "the good old days" generally mean women staying home hand washing and sewing everyone's clothes, cleaning etc.

People forget that living off the land means your chicken doesn't come shrink-wrapped...

09/04/12 12:05 am

"Yes" voters, just turn off your notebook, netbook, tablet, and desktop, and your cell phone or smartphone, and your game consoles, for just a week, then come back here and vote again.