Show Of Hands November 28th, 2012 12:00am

When you use the microwave, do you try to stop it with one second left to avoid the beep? (UQ)

Jack80 Wisconsin
12/02/12 6:10 pm

It drives me crazy when my co-workers don't let it go to the beep so when I use it, I have to clear the remaining time before I can do anything. At least clear it!

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
11/30/12 8:09 pm

This poll is dying with a "Success Kid" meme.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/30/12 1:14 pm

Corny bread I was just getting his goat. Guess you are right, we shouldn't tease too much. I hear your wisdom ;-).

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
11/29/12 10:21 pm

ok guys let's break it up. you both make very good points. with a good working microwave it's not likely you're in any danger, but there's no harm in being cautious.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 8:28 pm

I challenge you to google the latent affect of microwave food for yourself. There is a lot of scientific research out there that might be interesting to read about. Look from a fresh angle, a different angle. Think chemical structure and other things nonlinear. Resonance and affinity. Try it.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 7:58 pm

Akgoat you assume a lot. You assume the equipment works perfectly. You assume I know way less than I actually do. Thanks for painting a fuller picture though.

11/29/12 6:28 pm

@wedaslaves, it's not an issue because the existing waves dissipate or are absorbed at the speed of light still. You would have to be faster than Usain Bolt....

11/29/12 6:26 pm

It's just a fact of RF and how it works. I deal with a relatively small section of the RF spectrum, but a large portion that is used to communicate on the ground. I deal with a lot of confusion on how we utilize the RF spectrum. But the lack of understanding with how microwaves work is frustrating.

11/29/12 6:22 pm

If you had to wait for microwaves to dissipate your microwave wouldn't open instantly. It's very simple, once the power is cut the waves bouncing around are gone, in the speed of light. It's impossible to open the door that fast.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.

11/29/12 6:17 pm

I wish you had a better understanding of how the RF spectrum worked. You cite non-existent study's and are way over-cautious when it comes too your microwave. Radio waves from your cell phone will not increase your chances of cancer. Your microwave only give you cancer if you bypass many safety.....

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 3:21 pm

Akgoat you appear overprotective. The microwaves bounce around, reflecting off the metal surfaces until absorbed by food or the metal itself. The megaton stops emitting new waves but nothing to the existing waves. It is not a big issue that has been observed. I am just cautious. No harm in caution.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 3:13 pm

Akgoat, please let us know if you become a statistic. For your sake I hope not.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 2:47 pm

Akgoat, you don't need to protect your job. If you follow safety protocols you should be fine. I have absolutely no family history of cancer and no risk factors. However, it happened. When it happens to you it is quite a shock and not a joke. Better use simple precautions than not.

grant1626
11/29/12 12:55 pm

i appreciate the input but im afraid i won't ever be using one. my apartment came with one, ive never touched it.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
11/29/12 9:55 am

just don't stand in front of it while it's on if you're nervous.

11/29/12 9:50 am

You don't need to "give it a few seconds". Microwaves travel at the speed of light. Once you open the door the microwave emitter is turned off. Unless you can open the door and snatch your food out of there quicker than the speed of light, you have nothing to worry about.

11/29/12 9:40 am

Also, the reason cell phones have a maximum power output is not to protect you from cancer. It has to do with interference being caused in other devices and battery life. FYI

11/29/12 9:34 am

Please tell me what study's you're thinking of though. If there is new evidence that I don't know about, that might make me change careers.

11/29/12 9:32 am

Please reference your studies. I work with radio waves and microwaves. There is a big difference between the two. I imagine I could find a study saying the moon is made of cheese, that doesn't mean it is. There is a lot more evidence that non-ionizing waves do NOT cause cancer...

EarlyBird Portland
11/29/12 8:26 am

Yes, in a calm, soothing voice.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
11/29/12 5:32 am

I do when people are sleeping.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 4:47 am

They have done a good job sealing it in while it is running. If you are nervous, just give it a few seconds before opening it. They decay rapidly once absorbed by food.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/29/12 4:44 am

Akgoat, I am thinking of the cellphone studies that indicated a rise in cancer around the ear region. That is partly why the new cell phones have maximum power output limits by law.

116
11/29/12 3:55 am

The wavelengths emitted from microwave ovens are longer than visible light wavelengths. In other words, visible light has more cancer causing capabilities than your microwave.

bella84 Dallas, TX
11/29/12 3:40 am

I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. Can't handle the beep. Or the ticking of a clock

lullaby
11/29/12 2:49 am

I hate the beep!!! I thought I'm the only one lol

aph514
11/29/12 12:56 am

Lol. I do the same thing. Don't know why

11/28/12 11:58 pm

It is an old wives tale. No truth to "standing microwaves".

11/28/12 11:54 pm

Radio waves are non-ionizing. They do not cause cancer or harm your cells.

11/28/12 11:52 pm

If you have a newish microwave you are very protected. The tiny holes on the front are just small enough a microwave can't physical pass through it. The rest of it is sealed very well. You have no reason to be paranoid.

grant1626
11/28/12 11:43 pm

i don't use microwaves because im not crazy about cancer

rachee Utah
11/28/12 10:33 pm

i try to see how many things i get done before i stop the timer at 1 second. its a fun game, you should try it.

timewarrior6
11/28/12 10:26 pm

When everyone else is asleep and I want to make something in the microwave. But the alert beep is ungodly loud compared to when setting the timer.

praetorianus65
11/28/12 8:51 pm

I wait for the beep - it has a satisfying finality.

11/28/12 8:20 pm

I turned off the sound.

zigtiger823 everywhere
11/28/12 8:13 pm

I love the beep...

Phycoz
11/28/12 7:56 pm

It beeps when you reset the timer anyways, so there's no point.

schirm23
11/28/12 6:40 pm

It's the cooking equivalent to a buzzer-beater in basketball.

hippiedude fields of green
11/28/12 6:26 pm

Only if im stoned and my parents are asleep. Its fun and safe haha

supereliguy Andromeda
11/28/12 6:25 pm

It's all a game to me.

kittylover Florida
11/28/12 6:23 pm

Only if my roommate is sleeping, I don't want the beep to wake her

kdaddy Cape Cod
11/28/12 6:15 pm

No...i simply set the timer 1 second less than the instructed time and eat at the same time as you weirdos that said yes....AND i get the beep!