When you use the microwave, do you try to stop it with one second left to avoid the beep? (UQ)
It drives me crazy when my co-workers don't let it go to the beep so when I use it, I have to clear the remaining time before I can do anything. At least clear it!
This poll is dying with a "Success Kid" meme.
Corny bread I was just getting his goat. Guess you are right, we shouldn't tease too much. I hear your wisdom ;-).
ok guys let's break it up. you both make very good points. with a good working microwave it's not likely you're in any danger, but there's no harm in being cautious.
If the latch sensor is working perfectly.
I challenge you to google the latent affect of microwave food for yourself. There is a lot of scientific research out there that might be interesting to read about. Look from a fresh angle, a different angle. Think chemical structure and other things nonlinear. Resonance and affinity. Try it.
Akgoat you assume a lot. You assume the equipment works perfectly. You assume I know way less than I actually do. Thanks for painting a fuller picture though.
@wedaslaves, it's not an issue because the existing waves dissipate or are absorbed at the speed of light still. You would have to be faster than Usain Bolt....
It's just a fact of RF and how it works. I deal with a relatively small section of the RF spectrum, but a large portion that is used to communicate on the ground. I deal with a lot of confusion on how we utilize the RF spectrum. But the lack of understanding with how microwaves work is frustrating.
If you had to wait for microwaves to dissipate your microwave wouldn't open instantly. It's very simple, once the power is cut the waves bouncing around are gone, in the speed of light. It's impossible to open the door that fast.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.
I wish you had a better understanding of how the RF spectrum worked. You cite non-existent study's and are way over-cautious when it comes too your microwave. Radio waves from your cell phone will not increase your chances of cancer. Your microwave only give you cancer if you bypass many safety.....
Akgoat you appear overprotective. The microwaves bounce around, reflecting off the metal surfaces until absorbed by food or the metal itself. The megaton stops emitting new waves but nothing to the existing waves. It is not a big issue that has been observed. I am just cautious. No harm in caution.
Akgoat, please let us know if you become a statistic. For your sake I hope not.
Theories won't help you when you get sick.
Akgoat, you don't need to protect your job. If you follow safety protocols you should be fine. I have absolutely no family history of cancer and no risk factors. However, it happened. When it happens to you it is quite a shock and not a joke. Better use simple precautions than not.
i appreciate the input but im afraid i won't ever be using one. my apartment came with one, ive never touched it.
just don't stand in front of it while it's on if you're nervous.
You don't need to "give it a few seconds". Microwaves travel at the speed of light. Once you open the door the microwave emitter is turned off. Unless you can open the door and snatch your food out of there quicker than the speed of light, you have nothing to worry about.
Also, the reason cell phones have a maximum power output is not to protect you from cancer. It has to do with interference being caused in other devices and battery life. FYI
Please tell me what study's you're thinking of though. If there is new evidence that I don't know about, that might make me change careers.
Please reference your studies. I work with radio waves and microwaves. There is a big difference between the two. I imagine I could find a study saying the moon is made of cheese, that doesn't mean it is. There is a lot more evidence that non-ionizing waves do NOT cause cancer...
Yes, in a calm, soothing voice.
I play that game too!
I do when people are sleeping.
They have done a good job sealing it in while it is running. If you are nervous, just give it a few seconds before opening it. They decay rapidly once absorbed by food.
Akgoat, I am thinking of the cellphone studies that indicated a rise in cancer around the ear region. That is partly why the new cell phones have maximum power output limits by law.
The wavelengths emitted from microwave ovens are longer than visible light wavelengths. In other words, visible light has more cancer causing capabilities than your microwave.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of them. Can't handle the beep. Or the ticking of a clock
I hate the beep!!! I thought I'm the only one lol
Lol. I do the same thing. Don't know why
It is an old wives tale. No truth to "standing microwaves".
Radio waves are non-ionizing. They do not cause cancer or harm your cells.
If you have a newish microwave you are very protected. The tiny holes on the front are just small enough a microwave can't physical pass through it. The rest of it is sealed very well. You have no reason to be paranoid.
i don't use microwaves because im not crazy about cancer
i try to see how many things i get done before i stop the timer at 1 second. its a fun game, you should try it.
When everyone else is asleep and I want to make something in the microwave. But the alert beep is ungodly loud compared to when setting the timer.
I wait for the beep - it has a satisfying finality.
Hate the beep
I turned off the sound.
I love the beep...
It beeps when you reset the timer anyways, so there's no point.
no, that's stupid.
It's the cooking equivalent to a buzzer-beater in basketball.
Only if im stoned and my parents are asleep. Its fun and safe haha
It's all a game to me.
Only if my roommate is sleeping, I don't want the beep to wake her
No...i simply set the timer 1 second less than the instructed time and eat at the same time as you weirdos that said yes....AND i get the beep!