Show Of Hands December 12th, 2012 12:00am

Should the government give more financial aid to students majoring in STEM (science, engineering, technology, or math) fields? (UQ)

jape2116
12/17/12 10:55 pm

As a future educator..........no. There are a lot of comments on here about "STEM majors will pay back their loans blah blah" like I'm not a responsible individual. Educators are the backbone of everything and if you are passionate about learning you can look back and see a teacher who inspired you.

satiricalnick meh
12/17/12 11:22 am

We should give more aid to students majoring in the humanities.

Sage1287 Illinois
12/16/12 6:58 pm

I think they should get a bigger chunk of the money given out.., makes sense

beanD California
12/16/12 12:17 am

More gov't involvement = more red tape. More red tape = less room and time to move around and experiment things. Newton was not getting gov't funding when the apple fell on his head. If he had been, he probably would have just sued for getting hurt on the job. It's called privatization, and it works

onlinespec Dallas, TX
12/15/12 7:45 am

The world has too many subsidized fine arts majors

iryna
12/15/12 7:38 am

JaquesV, it's okay for a specific school to do it because that's their business basically. It's not okay for the government to do it.

rodin South Dakota
12/14/12 9:51 pm

yes. so those students can learn how to leeches on society.

aaf381
12/14/12 7:48 pm

The question is unclear. More than other students (history or art majors) or more money in general?

bbkkanders Kentucky
12/14/12 6:41 pm

We are BROKE people. The government shouldn't be giving more money to anyone.

infinity1 Cincinnati, OH
12/14/12 9:00 am

I think there should be more financial aid for architecture students like me as well as the STEM

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/14/12 8:15 am

We should make the citizenship process easier and welcome the huddled masses and the talented alike... legally.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/14/12 8:13 am

How do you explain athletic departments giving students full rides for playing a game?

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
12/14/12 8:11 am

There are actually a very small percentage of state colleges whose athletic programs pay their own bills. In all of AR, only one university earns enough from it to sustain it. Every other student in the state pays a fee in their tuition to support athletic programs for their college.

nadifof
12/14/12 7:31 am

So mr spock in this information age what protected all of us from wall streets big companies screwing over the country. We need government to lay the ground rules. Some of us call those regulations

tdaddy diversity
12/14/12 6:50 am

I think they should offer them more aid because odds are good they'll be able to pay back the loans in less time.

mynewipad north of southern calif
12/14/12 4:52 am

Any students. We want all the worlds best to come here. They stay and make us better. Many startup company's in Silicon Valley are founded by foreign born . it doesn't matter.. They are starting their company here! Bring them all. The ones that go home,take America with them win-win.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/13/12 8:29 pm

there are no funds that come in from the gov going to these schools?

TheAntiLib Dutchess County, NY
12/13/12 8:22 pm

The schools use their own $ to fund sports. The question referred to our govt paying the way.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/13/12 7:28 pm

so, schools can offer athletes cushy scholarships so they can play a game to entertain us.....but help develop people who will actually do something for this country? No way! That's totally unAmerican.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/13/12 7:27 pm

nothing is stopping them from doing that now. why should they spend money when they can just hire the socialist-educated Indian or communist Chinese? (or you can pick any of the other socialist nations of the world who pump out valuable STEM students).

natejgardner Edmonds, Washington
12/13/12 6:46 pm

I'm an engineering student and I say no. Primary and secondary schools should teach more, but let industry help STEM students in post-secondary.

jlevans369
12/13/12 6:25 pm

I thought liberals were fighting for equality?

RJ1969 SoCal
12/13/12 5:36 pm

"future liars"? I don't understand?

RJ1969 SoCal
12/13/12 5:35 pm

Incentives don't make a people socialist.

We, as a nation, need more STEM graduates. Our economy, our military, our infrastructure, our people need them. there is nothing wrong with pro-actively building toward the future and addressing our needs.
BTW, many socialist nations are republics.

Think Lovin Life
12/13/12 5:14 pm

Really ... "Kinda sorta" ... that's the best you've got? Pardon the pun, but this is not rocket science. The education system is filled with waste, starting with the notion that a tenured professor would get full pay and benefits, along with the best retirement for teaching three classes a week.

Think Lovin Life
12/13/12 5:06 pm

And you certainly do NOT need government subsidies to learn the ditch digging skills.

Think Lovin Life
12/13/12 5:04 pm

You hard-hearted and selfish person! If you take away subsidies for students who register as foreign, then you would be taking away opportunities for future liars to use the same approach that MrO used. How could you do that?

BigGuns
12/13/12 2:57 pm

Having the government subsidize a specific major is ridiculous. Doing so, or subsidizing anything else for that matter, artificially shifts the market towards that item/major/etc. This amounts to nothing more than government planning. Last I checked we were a republic and not socialist.

yorkie62
12/13/12 2:38 pm

But only if its to a US citizen. Not a foreign student

ma305
12/13/12 1:55 pm

The issue isn't funding, it's the ego of the students. While studying engineering, I know 50% of my class dropped it because it was too hard and they couldn't get A's. I also know that all of my peers in engineering, Even those with a GPA lower than 3.0 got decent jobs.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
12/13/12 11:43 am

They are relocating. Two moved to China, one to New Zealand, one to Singapore. Only two plus me have full-time engineering jobs in the states. One moved to Tennessee, one to Texas.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
12/13/12 11:31 am

Trace: Not finding a job for so long would indicate the inverse of the original statement. Unless you don't consider ME's to be included in engineering?

thinker2 nc
12/13/12 10:23 am

You can major in that. It's called an acting degree.

palmer24
12/13/12 10:21 am

The way you live your life depends on advancements made in stem fields and that's good enough for me. I wanna look back and say i helped others. My current school project will indirectly save 1000s of lives by diagnosing cancer faster. I hope u write a song that cheers people up or something

JHello Michigan
12/13/12 8:19 am

you can't respect and understand what other people like, go to school for, or do for a living, you can't them to respect what you do. That's all I have to say I suppose.

JHello Michigan
12/13/12 8:13 am

No. You would do it but you probably couldn't. I don't want to sound mean. However... If you don't think art contributes to society then look around. Without art or music, life would be so much different. Also, music has been proven to have very positive effects on people, even physical effects. If

JohnnyC
12/13/12 7:33 am

And charge them triple for going to law school.

SGTHOOAH
12/13/12 6:34 am

And democrats saw "free money" and jumped all over it! See how easy it is?

SGTHOOAH
12/13/12 6:32 am

It's not about hard work, it's about smart work! I could work hard all day digging a hole and filling it back in. What good would that do

SGTHOOAH
12/13/12 5:54 am

Ours is a system where the parents do not care! For most school is just free day care. Until we fix the parents we can't fix the kids

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
12/13/12 4:43 am

Ksterk: :-)...I think they only said that because they assumed I was a republican and wanted to throw a little party hack tactics at me...libertarian since 2004 (Mr Bush and his many shortcomings had a lot to do with that). I've never looked back. I blame BOTH parties for the mess we're in.

Grocker
12/13/12 3:48 am

RJ, cost of living is so much lower in TX. TX also has the lowest personal tax burden in the entire country. I don't live there because I like trees and seasons, but my family there does much, much better financially that my CA family, although they make a little less on paper.

Grocker
12/13/12 3:45 am

Man, TVA in Tennessee can't get enough engineers. They're hiring two-years, interning them, and paying for their education. Maybe these engineering grads need to relocate.

Tpallidum Los Angeles, CA
12/13/12 1:37 am

YYEEEEESSSSS!!!! Theres insanely high demand of hospital laboratory professionals. There just arent enough out there. Its the field I'm getting into.

TinyPilot6 some little mountain town
12/13/12 1:22 am

Into the Athletic Department.

Rosey737 Alaska
12/13/12 12:44 am

I thought I did. But then moved to AK. AK doesn't have a need for textile mfct'g. Still $70k in debt.

RJ1969 SoCal
12/12/12 11:47 pm

it's not any different than investing in s company. it just kinda sorta goes places, but if it helps with ROI, well, that's all that counts.

if you are ever in a pickle and need help, let me know. I have my list of SoH prodigies and if you need help, Let me know.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/12/12 11:41 pm

Yes I am doing fine. It just burns me a bit that with the amount I am paying I can't really tell what they are doing with it.