Show Of Hands October 14th, 2012 12:00am

Without knowing anything more about them, would you rather that your child had an older teacher with 20 years of experience, or a younger teacher with 3 years of experience?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/16/12 10:00 pm

Hey gramps, keep your cowpile opinions to yourself. Cowboy has embraced the future a little earlier than most, that's all. I'll be home-schooling my kids as well. I care more about their education than anyone else ever could or ever will. Period.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/16/12 9:55 pm

Without knowing anything more about them? You gotta go with experience. But I would never entrust my precious child into someone's hands if the only thing I knew about them was that they had 20 years of experience in teaching. That would be irresponsible parenting on my part, and foolish to boot.

ggrasmoen
10/16/12 8:44 pm

Experience can bring improvement and evolving principles and practices. Some of this occurs in the public education union monopoly, however with early 20th century trade union seniority protection, there is no incentive to do more than what is required in the public education "profession".

HeloKelsey Illinois
10/16/12 8:19 am

Younger teachers are usually more enthusiastic and involved, that I've seen.

gramps
10/15/12 8:36 pm

That is scary beyond belief! Cowpile not only raising but teaching a child to be bigoted!

tswine
10/15/12 3:22 pm

Completely disagree. Younger does not mean smarter. I hope you have a teenager that uses that argument on you someday.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/15/12 12:31 pm

looking back, the best teachers I had were both: younger and older. It doesn't matter as long as the teacher has passion and wants to actually TEACH something, not use the classroom for his/her agenda..or lets the students run the roost

Rosebud Ohio
10/15/12 8:28 am

In my experience, teachers who've been teaching for a while have a higher rate of being awesome. Some new are fantastic, but not as many.

zmudae
10/15/12 7:12 am

So if we fire all the teachers with tenure, nobody will be that upset then?

Joey5Girl
10/15/12 6:21 am

Then don't respond to the question which ha to do with experience only.

Joey5Girl
10/15/12 6:20 am

We just had this same choice in regards to our new principal. I said older, the board said younger and now we have the issue where academics are solely the job of the teachers. There is no more accountability and fun and holidays are more important.

Harrith2
10/15/12 5:45 am

Experience doesn't matter to me. I want an engaged teacher who wants to help our children learn, who wants to engage parents by communicating their child's progress and things that need to be worked on at home. Whether the teacher is old or young is probably the last qualification I would consider.

sheepdog1
10/15/12 5:29 am

"Without knowing anything else about them..." It seems there are those among us that cannot follow directions. It doesn't say anything about passion (a necessary component though), this is a question where everything is equal except the age, now choose...

sunflower
10/15/12 4:46 am

Not true. Doctors and teachers are required to stay up to date in their fields.

OverIt23
10/15/12 1:48 am

Interesting comments and very typical of today's society, I believe. I've been in the elementary classroom 25+ years, and I say experience, as long as the love of teaching is still there. Todays's public schools are asked to teach many "extras" which distract from learning/teaching.Back-to-basics!

captain12345 Tennessee
10/15/12 12:06 am

I think younger would be better because some old teachers just don't move with the changing world but old teachers should be in collages

jennv3
10/14/12 10:31 pm

It is a hard call. I said younger because I myself am a student and in my experience the younger teachers have more passion for teaching. The older teachers seem to be stuck in their ways. Though unfortunately in today's age I would be a little worried with a young teacher and my high school student

scottstots Georgia
10/14/12 10:14 pm

Exactly Spero. It's cutting edge stuff

ryno Flyover Country
10/14/12 10:12 pm

High school younger. College mentor older.

gjb2779
10/14/12 9:42 pm

These days I'd say younger simply because the need for kids to learn & keep up with new technology & how it affects the world around them & the world as a whole is CRUCIAL.

angiebrite Gallifrey
10/14/12 8:50 pm

You'd think more experience would be better, but all the best teachers I've ever had have been younger

IMO atoms, space, opinion
10/14/12 8:33 pm

Experience is important but passion is critical.

AnnieM The Island
10/14/12 8:28 pm

Actually, these days, the younger one is often your best choice. He/she is going to be up-to-date on the newest studies, technologies and treatments, whereas an older one is going to do things one way because that's how he/she has always done it.

AnnieM The Island
10/14/12 8:26 pm

I think it would depend on the age of the child. Looking back, the teachers I connected with more in elementary and in to middle school were all young. In high school, though, the ones I remember the best and learned the most from had been teaching a long time.

flickmybic Florida
10/14/12 7:45 pm

I feel like i related better with my younger teachers

maestra North Texas
10/14/12 7:43 pm

15 years here. I love the new technology and even use SOH in my class. I also haven't had the desire to teach the exact same thing year after year. I am constantly tweaking my lessons depending on my students' responses.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/14/12 7:31 pm

The best teachers I know are those who have been teaching for 5-15 years. They have experience, but still have passion for the job and a desire to learn new methods. I've taught with many older teachers (25+ years experience) who are only in the classroom because they can't afford to retire.

THEohiostate
10/14/12 7:28 pm

Older probably wouldnt have much leeway because theyve been using the same metho for 20+ years.

habibicharles
10/14/12 7:21 pm

Younger teachers have a fresh passion for teaching.

bturney
10/14/12 7:20 pm

Just been my experience that a longer a teacher has been on the job, the less motivated they become. Just seems like most older teachers have lost interest or given up on the system and are just going through the motions... There are exceptions, but that's my general feeling...

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/14/12 7:18 pm

A teacher in his 60's (or older - I don't remember his specific age) was just arrested last month in Phoenix for inappropriate sexual behavior with students. Regardless, teachers who engage with students sexually are in a VERY small minority, so basing your decision on that alone is a bit overboard.

QueenBee95
10/14/12 7:18 pm

All of my older teachers had tenure and wouldn't teach. They'd expect that we knew it as much as they did just because they've been teaching it the same way for 15+ years. Younger teachers make learning so much more fun, and they do their job!

ladybug0
10/14/12 6:32 pm

Would you rather a newly graduated surgeon or one with many years of experience?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/14/12 6:19 pm

I don't know at what age burnout starts in teachers, but three years is enough time to get comfortable and yet still be enthusiastic. Twenty years is enough time to be a robot waiting for the reaper, reciting the same old stale stuff that was outdated a decade ago.

emdy
10/14/12 6:14 pm

New teachers come with new fresh ideas whereas you may be stuck with an older teacher that is stuck in their ways and kids do not relate as well.

Drew41
10/14/12 5:56 pm

Kids relate better to younger teachers.

kelsey498 Colorado
10/14/12 5:48 pm

Pay for performance is such a joke.

spero42 Warrington, PA
10/14/12 5:45 pm

Yes, because nothing says contemporary educational practices like learning about the Bible!

O13 Alabama
10/14/12 5:33 pm

@marisa, nothing against teachers... but I can guarantee that being president is harder than being a teacher. Just one, of the myriad of examples, that can be given: When kids get mad they throw tantrums, when countries get mad they throw artillery. Teachers never have to order troops into harms way

DaKernal Colorado
10/14/12 5:12 pm

Older; if we have pay-for-performance and got rid of poor teachers.

MasterMatt Oregon
10/14/12 5:06 pm

neither, I home school.

BluejayV Life is Cinema
10/14/12 5:02 pm

I have a film teacher. He's been teaching two years. I've learned more from him because of his passion and youth, than i did from the teacher I had for three years, who had been teaching for 8. The older you get. The less you care.

Liberatheist Mustafar
10/14/12 5:01 pm

From personal experience, younger. The teachers that I had that were younger I got along with better and did better. I had a couple of older teachers that I did well in but for the most part I generally did better in those classes who had a younger teacher.

njguinness75 Jersey
10/14/12 4:59 pm

And Mac from personal experience and relationships (my wife is a teacher) there are plenty of bad teachers being protected by the union (it's called tenure)

10/14/12 4:59 pm

Also they know newer techniques

njguinness75 Jersey
10/14/12 4:58 pm

Ok Mac the NEA protects each and everyone of its members

CSGraham
10/14/12 4:56 pm

Most of the younger "teachers" I had were teachers because they thought it was an easy job. It's a shame how many people are willing to toss experience and wisdom to the side. It's like upgrading from a phone that's perfectly fine to one that has 1 extra whistle and looks better.

njguinness75 Jersey
10/14/12 4:54 pm

Wow that's just ignorant

CSGraham
10/14/12 4:52 pm

Depends on what's being taught.