unpronouncible April 23rd, 2016 11:14pm

Scarlet Johansen has been cast as an Asian in a live action remake of an anime. This has caused controversy. But.. Can YOU name a better and Asian actress to play the role, that also would have a big enough name to get executives to green light it?

CrzyChica
04/23/16 7:45 pm

Tell that to nib. He says she's a crappy actress.

CrzyChica
04/23/16 5:26 pm

How about Lucy Liu. She's well know. And she's been in action films before. She kicks butt. I think it's ridiculous to not even make an attempt to hire an Asian actress, myself.

nib
04/23/16 5:35 pm

Are you aware of the extent of the audition process? Meanwhile, Lucy is a horrible actress, and it's kind of racist to suggest she would be good for the part. Just because I'm a Pilgrim doesn't mean I like turkey.

CrzyChica
04/23/16 5:47 pm

I'm the racist one for suggesting an Asian actress might possibly play a role that comes from Manga, a Japanese art form? We can agree to disagree or not. I honestly don't care either way as I don't care about the film to be honest. Why don't you educate me, nib, on why you are such an expert about the audition process for films? Is this your specialization?

nib
04/23/16 5:55 pm

Time out, you're the one who claimed they didn't try to hire an Asian actress. Do you know that to be the case? I'm just saying the most qualified should get the job, regardless of race, and you're the one who introduced race. Frankly, I don't give a crap who gets the job.

Throwaway77
04/23/16 4:20 pm

"That would have been a big enough name" and that is where the issue lies. There is just no opportunity given for Asians to even make a bigger name for themselves with that mentality.

nib
04/23/16 4:39 pm

Exposing more liberal-Hollywood hypocracy.

nib
04/23/16 4:19 pm

Why is it controversial? It's called acting for a reason. It would be racist to believe only an Asian could play the part.

CrzyChica
04/23/16 5:29 pm

The point is for a really long time various non white roles have been played by whites in face paint. There are plenty of capable minority actors and actresses. To automatically go for the white actor or actress to play a minority role is also racist. It sends the signal that Hollywood thinks minorities aren't as good at what they do, which is total bull crap. But guess who runs the movie industry. Rich white people. So who gets the roles? Other rich white people.

nib
04/23/16 5:32 pm

I'm no fan of Hollywood elitists but i won't get worked up over nothing, and this is nothing.