Cole12 April 22nd, 2016 7:18pm

Immigration/Islam in Europe/America is an "issue" that I don't think matters - in fact, I would go so far as to call it a complete non-issue. Do you have any arguments to convince me to change my belief?

DGroot America
04/22/16 4:56 pm

The simple fact that some people care deeply about it makes it an issue. An absence of concern for it on your part doesn't make it a non-issue.

ClayTownR California
04/22/16 4:12 pm

Does the word "Rothertham" have any meaning to you?

fredd TrumpLand
04/22/16 3:24 pm

Purely as a practical reading of the situation, it definitely matters. Much of the UK sentiment towards leaving the EU is because of immigration.

elbrutus23 Chicago, IL
04/22/16 2:47 pm

I think The biggest concern regarding the issue of immigration of mostly Muslim immigrants from the Middle East and Africa into Europe are The financial costs associated with taking in millions of the new migraines and refugees, as well as how best to assimilate these groups of people from places unfamiliar with European culture and values. This is not to say that Europe should completely close its Borders, but that European countries should be able to limit immigration and take steps that these immigrants do assimilate into their new cultures. It is a completely rational concern among, for example, Germans that new immigrants and refugees entering the country learn the language and adopt German attitudes and values. I totally understand that concern. Some of these immigrants and refugees come from cultures with very different views on the role of women in society, religious freedom and acceptance of free speech, and they should be expected to except these new values.

elbrutus23 Chicago, IL
04/22/16 2:52 pm

To brush off these concerns as merely the results of racism and anti-Muslim bigotry is counterproductive and actually plays into the hands of the far right more than many may think. I think it's important to take a middle ground position on the issue, while rejecting the positions of totally open borders on one hand and closing all the borders on the other hand. Both of these are equally silly positions to take, in my opinion. I mean, if I move to Japan for example, I would be expected to make it effort to adopt Japanese culture and values. Why shouldn't immigrants and refugees to Europe be expected to do the same?

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
04/22/16 2:24 pm

I agree with you

EmperorAugustus
04/22/16 2:15 pm

They are cancer

garrry Anchorite
04/22/16 1:25 pm

Article touches on the conflict of values between secularist Europe and the usual orthodoxy associated with Islam. Its not conclusiv
www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/08/the-major-roadblock-to-muslim-assimilation-in-europe/243769/

garrry Anchorite
04/22/16 1:28 pm

But it does raise a stance as to how this contradiction could have greater impact as the economy worsens in the EU. Like the author says the issue on its own is not nearly as potent as combination of events occuring.

rons screw politicians
04/22/16 1:17 pm

Send them all to Sweden!

Cannibal
04/22/16 12:34 pm

Reggie Ledoux will kill you if you like immigrants. That's a good enough reason.

Cole12 ...
04/22/16 12:26 pm

As an incredibly open-minded person, I'm willing to change my beliefs if I can find evidence that supports such a change.

I believe that 1) racism and Islamophobia, 2) overreaction to a few terrorist attacks, and 3) an unhealthy obsession with preserving the "white race" are the main reasons why people oppose accepting Muslim immigrants into Europe and America. I don't think these are legitimate reasons, and as a result I'm an open borders advocate. So, CMV!

oneshot
04/22/16 2:43 pm

It's funny. How so many people are willing to believe that all people are good even when the facts are against them. Islamaphobia for instance is, in my opinion, complete BS. I think just because people are aware of the Muslim belief system doesn't mean they are islamaphobic, in case you aren't aware in the Koran it states to kill anyone is is a non believer. There fore if you do not follow the teachings of Mohammad, who was a pedophile slaver and murderer. Those are the facts. Of course I'm sure someone will try to defend them by saying they aren't all like that or something along those lines, but if your core beliefs come from those don't you think it's worth being prepared for the fact that hey may not be worth taking the chance?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/22/16 4:20 pm

Most Muslims believe that the violent verses were given in a specific time and situation (war), while the nice verses were given as a general command. Not all Muslims of course believe that, but that's a pretty conventional belief. Being a Muslim does not make one more prone to violence.

oneshot
04/22/16 6:33 pm

So you feel comfortable strolling down the streets of Afghanistan? I assume become they are obviously peace loving people...

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/22/16 9:22 pm

I imagine some parts of Afghanistan are completely fine. And the reason I could be nervous would be because of powerful military groups, not because "Muslims."

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
04/22/16 12:23 pm

I think the issue is being exploited by both sides for political reasons. If this was not so,a compromise plan would have been passed by the congress and signed by the president a long time ago.