Greenie April 20th, 2016 9:24pm

Should it be mandatory for public school students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in class?

susanr Colorado
04/20/16 7:44 pm

It absolutely should *not* be mandatory for anyone to say it. There's is no requirement at all that an adult citizen say the Pledge, much less a child.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
04/20/16 6:50 pm

It should be mandatory to have the option. In my school, they say it over the loud speaker and you have the option to say it if you want. It disgusts me how Americans don't respect the country that stands for the rights of the people. I understand being against the government, but being against real America and what the founding fathers risked their lives for is just disgusting.

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/20/16 3:18 pm

It always bothered me as a child that I was pledging allegiance to a flag, rather than the country itself.

susanr Colorado
04/20/16 7:42 pm

"...and to my country, for which it stands..."

You were!

Bobnpt The Ocean State
04/20/16 8:12 pm

And to the Republic for which it stands......we both screwed up. :)

susanr Colorado
04/20/16 8:14 pm

Haha! You can tell I haven't said it for a long time.

I *should* remember, though; I've refreshed my mind about the history of it enough times, for online discussions like this. Mostly in the 90s, though, I guess.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:15 pm

It shouldn't even be encouraged.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:15 pm

Don't have it over the loudspeaker or anything.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:21 pm

Why? It's giving respect to the country we live in.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:23 pm

Respect should be a choice. I don't respect the government, the flag, or the country, so I don't say the pledge.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:24 pm

How can you not respect the country that we live in? Respect should be a given. I don't think anyone should be forced to do anything, but giving respect to the flag of our country is such a small price to pay

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:30 pm

Respect is given until lost. The government has lost my respect, so I don't respect it.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:34 pm

What about paying respects to the military? The people who defend that flag?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:37 pm

The military defends the flag. That's why I won't pledge allegiance to the flag. It represents the shitty actions of our military around the world and the complete disregard for freedom and self-determination.

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:49 pm

Explain " complete disregard for freedom and self-determination."

TheDouble
04/20/16 3:50 pm

Because the way I see it is those people defend this country everyday and you don't respect that at all.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 3:57 pm

There are numerous examples, so I'll just provide a few.

In 195(4?) there was a democratically elected leader in Iran who wanted to nationalize the oil industry and prevent western access. So the CIA under IKE overthrew the leader and replaced him with a brutal dictator "the shah," until he was overthrown in the 1980's and replaced by Islamic fundamentalists.

In the 60s and 70s, the United States and France would not allow South Vietnam to elect their own leaders. The people were largely in favor of nationalizing industries, so the US instituted dictators who were friendly to the west.

Chile's democratically elected president Allende wanted to nationalize industries. So on September 11th (important date for Americans), 1973, Nixon's administration overthrow Allende and instituted Pinochet, one of the worst dictators of his time.

In Guatemala throughout most of the 20th century, their leaders were being overthrown by American troops because their leaders wanted to nationalize the

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 4:00 pm

Fruit industry, which an American company (forgot the name) had previously owned. The American military literally enforced feudalism in Guatemala despite the will of the people.

And don't forget similar stories in Haiti, Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, Greece, Turkey, Panama, Syria, Iraq, and others that don't come to mind at the moment.

TheDouble
04/20/16 4:11 pm

Sounds like a bunch of conspiracy to me. Would like to see the facts behind this

auntiesamm Orange County CA
04/20/16 5:24 pm

Why not leave?

TheDouble
04/20/16 5:26 pm

First Californian I like😉

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
04/20/16 6:51 pm

I love how all of those sources are wiki pages

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/20/16 7:07 pm

Well the other options were books. But this is pretty well known information.