Show Of Hands April 20th, 2016 3:29pm

Should marijuana be legal nationally?

wilgeno Saint Paul, MN
04/28/16 9:46 pm

I'll tell you what you damn dope heads! You get off my case about smoking cigars and I won't bug you about smoking your damn drugs!

RobinHood84
04/25/16 3:08 pm

Does it make sense that you could be in a state where it's legal but still breaking Breaking the law federally? What is the point of having a federal governments if state rights come first?

cousinman
04/24/16 8:57 pm

Constitutionally, it should be left up to the states. Although I believe it would be a mistake to legalize marijuana. If marijuana can not be trafficked by the cartel, then what will the begin to traffic? Reference communities of lower socioeconomic background in Southern California.

RandPoolsNSpas We Are Change
04/23/16 7:46 pm

It should be legalized LEGALLY not through illegal executive order while at the same time shouldn't be illegal on a federal level so states can decide themselves

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
04/23/16 3:17 pm

May the Old Me forgive this Me;
Illegal and should stay that way.
I believe that pot is a gateway drug (for too many) and is simply not a good habit.

thomas12266
04/23/16 12:36 pm

No way. More accidents and murders for marijuana.

FriedRice
04/23/16 8:50 am

Read the tenth ammendment, if it isn't in the Constitution let the states decide.

Vespesian Louisville, Kentucky
04/22/16 5:17 pm

The argument purporting the right of Americans to use marijuana recreationally in the privacy of their own homes like they do with alcohol nearly convinces me on this issue; but the gateway drug concern I have still hasn't been adequately addressed I feel. I finally voted No not because I fear a stoned nation, but a generally drug-cultured one; and despite all the very reasonable arguments for legalization I just haven't been convinced.

PocketNotebook Libertarians Unite
04/21/16 5:44 pm

Here's someone who thinks it should be legal:
Someone produced a pot growing kit "for kids"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. You can find it here:
www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1119485/marijuana-growing-kit-for-kids

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
04/21/16 5:21 pm

Let each of the states do it.

dryanmorr
04/21/16 1:43 pm

Can't wait until it's legal, you think our youth are bad now, just wait until they all stoned. Watching our country going to shit by the day.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
04/21/16 3:35 pm

Nice fear mongering. Do you have any legitimate arguments against it or just "save the children!" and "America is going to crumble!"?

byteMe
04/21/16 4:12 pm

I'm a senior engineer at a major software company and a graduate student studying computer vision in my off time. I pay all my bills, including student loans and taxes. I contribute more to society than many people I know. I use marijuana to relax in the privacy of my own home. I know several people with good jobs and respectable life styles that do the same. Get over the reefer madness propaganda from the 20's. My father died of complications of alcoholism at age 50, funny thing how alcohol is still legal. Douche.

dryanmorr
04/21/16 8:38 pm

Lol fear mongering...typical leftist answer. Honestly I don't care, marijuana won't be the demise of this country. It's the culture. And, yes I know people who are productive that smoke but many more that don't use their talents or their potential. I used to be one of them. And stop with the alcohol comparison, it's a stupid argument.

dlinz001
04/21/16 10:43 pm

How is it a stupid argument? It is one drug vs another except the one with the most negative effects being legalized?

Obsideon Orbiting Earth
04/22/16 8:16 am

Only reason why alcohol is legal is because it is big business. The government is greedy

dlinz001
04/22/16 8:23 am

Or maybe because history tells us that it didn't work well when we tried to make it illegal. Ever heard of prohibition?

Obsideon Orbiting Earth
04/22/16 8:26 am

Yeah, I know about it. Period of time around the Great Depression when it was banned. Al Capone and others profited off the black market, and moonshine was used as an alternative.

Obsideon Orbiting Earth
04/22/16 8:28 am

Sadly alcohol was legalized, and is now killing way more people than guns are due to drunks deciding that they should drive after having too many

byteMe
04/22/16 8:28 am

You've just proven my point. There are many people who are perfectly ethical and hardworking that don't deserve to live in fear of arrest or being associated with criminal activity, just because they consume a drug to relax in their off time. Of course there are plenty of stoners out there that are wasting their potential, but those people would be wasting their potential and contributing nothing to society with any other substance anyway. Regardless of if they're wasting their potential, they too shouldn't be pigeonholed as criminals. They're adults who will skate by, like generations before them did, while the rest of us run this country properly. We can't punish people for this anymore. It makes no sense.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
04/22/16 8:35 am

"Can't wait until it's legal, you think our youth are bad now, just wait until they all stoned. Watching our country going to s**t by the day."
"Honestly I don't care, marijuana won't be the demise of our country"
Make up your mind. Either legalizing weed is going to make America become a piece of shit, or it won't have any effect. Based off of Portugal, Colorado, California, Washington, I'm going to guess the latter.

"Typical leftist argument..."
Not really. It's a typical logical argument. Much more logical than the typical argument of "all the kids are gonna get high and America is going to be ruined oh no!"

dryanmorr
04/22/16 9:36 am

Only reason alcohol is legal is because of different cultures. Read about prohibition.

dryanmorr
04/22/16 9:38 am

You know many people are killed from
People getting stoned while driving as well. Back in the day I smoked weed a few times, I was in no condition to drive.

RandPoolsNSpas We Are Change
04/23/16 7:47 pm

Making it illegal and marking them as a criminal for owning it isn't going to help our youth in any way.

RandPoolsNSpas We Are Change
04/23/16 7:50 pm

The only reason why the youth is being impacted by marijuana is because they will be criminalized for having it.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
04/21/16 11:06 am

Yes, it should be regulated for safety, and taxed.

BtbWilkinson Utah
04/21/16 9:49 am

It should not be illegal nationally, in fact the federal government should not regulate it at all.

kywrite augusta, ga
04/21/16 8:55 am

Let's be consistent and constitutional. States rights issue.

dlee1776 Virginia
04/21/16 6:39 am

It should only be legal for medicinal use and very heavily regulated. Other than that we should arrest anyone caught with it, and clean up our streets.

mattcordova21
04/21/16 8:33 am

Great, more people in prison is what we need.

dlee1776 Virginia
04/21/16 8:36 am

Exactly! The less criminals on the streets the better.

getupbaby South City
04/21/16 11:17 am

Cutting off revenue streams to criminal organizations would serve to clean up our streets more through legalization.

dlee1776 Virginia
04/21/16 11:21 am

Or you could just raid those criminal organizations then you clean up the streets and keep from having to pass any new laws. It's a win win.

getupbaby South City
04/21/16 12:17 pm

Seriously? We've been shoveling billions of dollars into that plan already for the last thirty years. Enforcement alone does nothing and actually makes the problem worse. We already house nearly a third of the world's incarcerated and have one of the highest crime rates of the developed world. Your plan is a proven failure.

dlee1776 Virginia
04/21/16 12:20 pm

Maybe we have a high incarceration rate because 1) we have one of the most populated countries in the world and 2) we have laws that other countries don't. And when you break the law you are incarcerated. It's as simple as that. Maybe if we as a society weren't so disrespectful to the law there would be less of us breaking it.

dryanmorr
04/21/16 1:42 pm

Medicinal use is bullshit. Open your eyes, the industry is using that as a way to legalize it.

dryanmorr
04/21/16 1:44 pm

No one is in prison for personal use of weed. Only ones in prison might be dealers and manufacturers, not pot heads.

RandPoolsNSpas We Are Change
04/23/16 7:51 pm

Don't ruin your life with drugs or the government will do it for you!

RandPoolsNSpas We Are Change
04/23/16 7:54 pm

When anything people like becomes illegal organized crime will go up, just like in prohibition which made the mafia.

brendanm343 Massachusetts
04/21/16 5:59 am

No why promise drugs

ProbablyEug Oakland
04/20/16 11:39 pm

Ugh I'm so torn over mj. I don't want anyone to go to jail over a stupid offense like weed, but at the same time, the smoke everywhere is tiresome, and I hate seeing my friends waste their life on it. That said I still believe more that no one should go to jail or get a criminal record for smoking weed.

audiophile OC, California
04/20/16 10:53 pm

I voted no, marijuana pretty much ruined my sister's life.

dryanmorr
04/20/16 10:31 pm

From personal experience...especially if I were driving, nope.

Wes28 CBus
04/20/16 9:26 pm

I vote yes..but rather begrudgingly..it smells like literal shit. Nothing pisses me off more than working in my pharmacy and handing out free (aka taxpayer paid for) prescriptions to somebody who reeks of pot.

yepnope Maryland
04/20/16 9:23 pm

If it's illegal we need to make cigarettes and alcohol illegal too. Our approach to cannabis is not based on logic.

byteMe
04/21/16 4:21 pm

It's based on racist propaganda intended to protect other industries.

yepnope Maryland
04/21/16 5:41 pm

Yeah, Fu*k William Randolph Hearst... and our racist culture.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
04/20/16 7:44 pm

Yep. As long as no one else is harmed, why should gov't get to decide what law-abiding citizens choose to smoke.

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/20/16 6:03 pm

Just legalize it !! Enough with the nonsense!!

Mauricetwon oxford
04/20/16 6:02 pm

Well in just really surprised that it helps out medically I mean I'm not a doctor or anything but it's really surprising but in a way only for medical should it be legal though

izck rural Illinois
04/20/16 6:00 pm

Im more like the true the typical stoner: successful attorney, races bicycles, family man -- and vapes a few times a week.

You have to be an idiot, or a big pharma lobbyist, to proclaim anyone who uses is headed to welfare or acts like Spicoli.

meb1 somewhere in MN
04/20/16 5:00 pm

For medical reasons, yes. Our granddaughter has a genetic disorder that forms tumor-like growths on nerve tissues, and she was born with it growing in her spine. She had a leg amputated at 3. The only real relief she has is from marijuana oil. Much healthier than smoking it.

SouthernLaw Old North State
04/20/16 4:59 pm

This is one of the issues I stand against the majority of my fellow Republicans. It should be legalized.

SouthernLaw Old North State
04/20/16 5:00 pm

Oh and happy Weed Day everyone🌿

Hopsin
04/20/16 5:42 pm

Happy 420 day to u too

JeffreyBurk
04/20/16 4:50 pm

Morality should have no place in government.

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
04/20/16 4:18 pm

In my state before it was legal conservatives paid a lot of money for ads painting the legalization of pot as the zombie apocalypse. It talked about how violent crime would be rampant, it would be the end or civilization and it would cause moral decline. None of that ever happened. I don't smoke or do drugs but it helping to remove the criminal element from the buying, selling and growing. All I notice is sometimes I can smell it while walking downtown or in a park. That's not too bad.

112112321 pleb
04/20/16 3:25 pm

Yes. All drugs should be legal for everyone.

Conservatron Zachary, Louisiana
04/20/16 3:17 pm

No. It offers no help to us. It also makes no sense morally.

112112321 pleb
04/20/16 3:23 pm

That's ignorant. Marijuana helps a lot in medical care, and smoking a little bit a day can actually make you happier and healthier.

jab004
04/20/16 3:41 pm

Happier, maybe. Healthier, not a chance. Glaucoma patients maybe. 23 year olds, no way.

112112321 pleb
04/20/16 3:45 pm

It's one of those weird things like how red wine helps prevent heart issues. Marijuana relieves stress, therefore making you far healthier. I would personally illegally smoke Marijuana, but I don't trust it to not be laced with anything else.

truspec Texas
04/20/16 3:49 pm

Should we ban cigarettes, tobacco, and alcohol?

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
04/20/16 3:54 pm

Weed doesn't have to be smoked, and its use isn't a moral issue.

jab004
04/20/16 3:56 pm

I'm all for legalizing or decriminalizing it, but not as a healthy lifestyle choice. I never suggested it shouldn't be legal because it's bad for you, like cigs.

rambo088 kansas
04/20/16 4:15 pm

Mfw it slows cancer growth and cures seizures

jab004
04/20/16 4:19 pm

Which of those do you suffer from? We both now it's fun and makes you feel good.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
04/20/16 4:20 pm

Not mutually exclusive. It has medicinal benefits and can also be fun

rambo088 kansas
04/20/16 4:20 pm

I have neither. I was simply refuting the point that it offers no help.

jab004
04/20/16 4:23 pm

My point is simple. If you're going about this from a healthy perspective, you lose. It doesn't make any sense. There are safer, healthier options. If you wanna toke away, be my guest. I don't care. Just have a valid reason and defend it.

rambo088 kansas
04/20/16 4:25 pm

You don't have to smoke it to get medicinal effects.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
04/20/16 4:29 pm

Your point is scientifically inaccurate. Quit pretending to be concerned with peoples' health

jab004
04/20/16 4:31 pm

Ok. Put your pipe down, and read. Geez. I never implied that. Ever. I could care less about your health. I'm not typing it again.

CyanEide
04/20/16 4:46 pm

By your logic, we should ban TV, junk food, video games, alcohol, tobacco, and amusement park rides, because they don't do anything good for us

jab004
04/20/16 4:48 pm

Nice try. You can't read either. I said pick a reason and defend, and you'll never sell it as health benefit. I'm not making the argument you want me to make. Just try this time. It isn't that hard.

rukidding Colorado
04/21/16 6:17 am

I know personally bone marrow transplant children that it has benifit to make them eat again and help pain. And teenagers who with anger issues it has help with therapy.

jab004
04/21/16 6:19 am

I'm very glad it helped that child, and people in that condition. If it is medicinal, it should be prescribed by a physician. But we aren't talking about that. We're talking recreational use.

moldypipes9
04/20/16 3:15 pm

In college i knew a few stoners. They were really stupid people... barely could complete a sentence. Nearly always had a glazed look on their face. Just what we meed in this country, more idiots. Ie bernie sanders or HILDA'BEAST supporters

Hardincz Hardin Co, Ohio
04/20/16 3:02 pm

I would certainly support legalization, though, if anything, a great first step would be to at least decriminalize marijuana

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
04/20/16 2:57 pm

Let me just check to see if Republicans still oppose this freedom.......

Yep

Americans Right Wing Libertarian
04/20/16 3:04 pm

Or maybe they just believe in the 10th amendment and states rights -_- . I'm pro marijuana and I voted no

omniku dot com
04/20/16 3:21 pm

Actually, if you're in favor of states rights then you should vote YES because you want it decriminalized on the federal level so the states have the freedom to make their own decisions.

SouthernLaw Old North State
04/20/16 4:58 pm

Hey I'm republican and support legalization.

Vayl Reason over common sense
04/21/16 6:12 am

@Americans the question was "Should marijuana be legalized nationally?" Not "Should marijuana be federally legalized?" If all 50 states legalized marijuana of their own accord, then marijuana would be legalized nationally. You can therefore vote yes to this question even if you are pro state's rights.

Americans Right Wing Libertarian
04/20/16 2:50 pm

It's up to each individual state, just like the legalization of gay marriage, which clearly went against the 10th amendment.

Hardincz Hardin Co, Ohio
04/20/16 3:01 pm

Do you believe the Warren court of the 60's had the right to mandate nationwide desegregation of schools?

Henry123 Connecticut
04/20/16 3:06 pm

Completely different... That segregation was found unconstitutional.

Hardincz Hardin Co, Ohio
04/20/16 3:09 pm

And I'm sure you might argue that Ogberfell v. Hodges was Judicial Activism, but it was their assertion that the denial of marriage rights was an unconstitutional violation of rights. You can disagree with that assertion and that's your right... God knows I truly hate some SCOTUS decisions

Henry123 Connecticut
04/20/16 4:14 pm

Of course that's there assertion. It has to be for everything they do. I don't really get what you're saying here

Henry123 Connecticut
04/20/16 4:17 pm

No... It's not. It was a Supreme Court decision

Henry123 Connecticut
04/20/16 4:18 pm

Wait what exactly are you referring too?

rambo088 kansas
04/20/16 4:19 pm

Classification of Marijuana as a narcotic

Hardincz Hardin Co, Ohio
04/20/16 4:19 pm

My argument is that, agree or disagree, their assertion of the unconstitutionality of same sex marriage bans is no different from the Brown v. Board's assertions, neither of which violate the 10th Amendment

Americans Right Wing Libertarian
04/20/16 4:19 pm

This is iFL_GNIF_rambo088 from iFunny isn't it

free2048 Texas
04/20/16 2:45 pm

11% of libertarians are lying about their political alignment

MJSeals J.D.
04/20/16 2:48 pm

Or adhere to the 10th amendment which clearly separates state and federal

JudyMill Living free
04/20/16 2:29 pm

Republicans voted for MORE government regulation? Whaaaat?

MJSeals J.D.
04/20/16 2:48 pm

10th amendment. Literally the opposite of what you're saying is why I voted No.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
04/20/16 2:54 pm

I voted yes, because it should be "legal" at the Federal level as this is the only way for a state to flex their prohibitive rights while footing their own bill doing so.

Example: Fireworks are not only legal, but sold damn near everywhere in NH. In MA, they will possibly send you to prison. MA can foot the bill of criminalization, without financially punishing me in NH,

omniku dot com
04/20/16 3:29 pm

Exactly Krayze! Just like prostitution is legal at the federal level which is why Nevada can have brothels.

EmeraldShift Liberty, Justice For All
04/20/16 1:54 pm

It shouldn't be federally illegal, but deciding whether it should be allowed should be left to the states.

613dimples New York
04/20/16 1:50 pm

All we need. More stoners dependent on welfare.

RB20 Indiana
04/20/16 2:24 pm

Or get rid of welfare and legalize it

613dimples New York
04/20/16 2:28 pm

If Congress ever agrees to get rid of welfare, I'll smoke a joint with you. My treat.

getupbaby South City
04/20/16 1:46 pm

Happy 4:20!!!
πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„

CudOfCow Oregon
04/20/16 1:40 pm

Its legal here and we grow in our back yard. Happy 4/20!! Don't smoke and drive!!

Chuck15
04/20/16 1:06 pm

Get rid of the national laws concerning recreational drugs, and let states decide. Personally favor legalization though.

TrustyShellback Latveria
04/20/16 12:28 pm

Any prohibition is an axe to the tree of liberty.

PocketNotebook Libertarians Unite
04/20/16 12:18 pm

Legal adults should be able to buy marijuana. I heard this wonderful quote the other day:

Don't like gay marriages? Don't get one.
Don't like cigarettes? Don't smoke one.
Don't like abortions? Don't have one.
Don't like sex? Don't do it.
Don't like drugs? Don't do them.
Don't like porn? Don't watch it.
Don't like alcohol? Don't drink it.
Don't like your rights taken away? Don't take away someone else's.

PocketNotebook Libertarians Unite
04/20/16 12:19 pm

*the rights of others.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
04/20/16 1:38 pm

Who doesn't like sex??

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
04/20/16 1:55 pm

I've seen this before and LOVE IT!

FancyNapalm Psychosis Circle
04/20/16 2:46 pm

This is awesome!! πŸ’š it!!

Americans Right Wing Libertarian
04/20/16 2:51 pm

You missed the most important one:
Don't like guns? Don't buy one!

belive98 Texas
04/20/16 6:07 pm

You almost forgot about guns

njalstorm
04/20/16 12:17 pm

No personally and legally No.

This is a states rights issue.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

blockfisher Clinton, CT
04/20/16 1:13 pm

Yeah we know. That's the problem, the federal govt has made it law that it's illegal.

CrimsonEagle And...
04/20/16 11:59 am

Medical Marijuana...yes.
Other forms should be left up to each state to decide...but it should be illegal to smoke it in the presence of minors.

krannapple
04/20/16 12:30 pm

So it's up to the states to decide, but you are okay with a national prohibition on smoking around minors?

valeriejo ramble on
04/20/16 11:57 am

I don't think there's any question that it should be. All evidence concludes alcohol is infinitely more dangerous. It needs to, at the very least be decriminalized. People being fined and having crap on their records for smoking weed is ridiculous.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/20/16 11:27 am

Yes, but more accurately, it should not be illegal, any more than any other plant you grow in your backyard garden or buy at the farmer's market.