EarlyBird Portland
04/19/16 10:41 pm

Darn! I wish I knew why you were banned. If you email the SoH office and apologize for whatever you did, they will un ban you.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
04/19/16 5:38 pm

You can't use that kind of language in a poll question, no matter how unfairly you think you have been treated. I don't know the situation, but a poll like this will only make it worse for you. Take some time to cool down…we will miss you, but when you cool down, maybe you will apologize and get to come back! 😃

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 5:31 pm

I believe it had to do with a couple of comments in the Election 2016 section this morning, which were repeated many, many times. (I don't know how many.) For anyone who had notifications turned on for whatever candidate it was, it blew out all the other notifications from their list.

I know it was reported to SOH staff, and I believe the "ban" was a stop-gap measure to prevent it continuing.

I have no idea whether it was intentional, a massive double case of finger-stutter, or a SOH glitch of some kind, but I do understand why it was done.

If it wasn't intentional, or if you'd like to discuss it otherwise with SOH, you can sent an email (for the email address used to create your account) to info@showofhands.com to try to clear it up.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 5:32 pm

And until you do get it cleared up, users will be unable to read your comments here. Although, short replies should be readable in notifications sent to anyone in the same thread.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 5:34 pm

It also probably isn't wise to use swear words in your polls that would otherwise be bleeped in comments. The bleeping software doesn't work in poll questions or answer options, but the SOH rules ask that users not try to get around the prohibition/bleeping of certain words - the bleeping is specifically to maintain the 12+ rating of the app in the App Store.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 5:48 pm

Do you mean that someone else used your phone, or that it wasn't something you intentionally did, or what?

Maybe it was an entirely different issue; I don't know. I just know there was an issue this morning and that something was done to make the apparent spamming stop (whatever the cause was) and to prevent it from continuing to trash users' notification lists.

I really don't know any more and can't do anything specifically to help. You will need to contact SOH as I suggested. My advice is to be polite.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 6:13 pm

Then explain that to SOH in an email. (My understanding is that there were at least *2* comments that were repeated many times, though.)

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 6:41 pm

Why not? That's probably the only way you're going to be able to resolve this.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 6:56 pm

As I stated above, send an email to info@showofhands.com from the email address you used to create your account.

iceberg124
05/06/16 8:18 pm

How do you know what 'cruzsupporter' is saying?

susanr Colorado
05/06/16 8:29 pm

Because I was active in the thread, I was receiving notifications of his replies. For some reason, the the "ignore" feature doesn't obscure the text of replies of someone on ignore, even the global ignore that SOH can use. So as long as his replies were pretty short I could read all of them.

I was already familiar with the situation in the Election 2016 section that I described, because another beta tester had brought the "spamming" to the attention of SOH in the beta testers' area.

iceberg124
05/07/16 6:29 am

What was he spamming? Foul language or like comments that went like T - E - D - C -R - U -Z (one letter per comment)

susanr Colorado
05/07/16 8:26 am

The problem wasn't really the nature of the comments, just the sheer number of them. I hadn't gotten around to counting them before SOH removed them (all but one of each of them, I think), but it was something on the order of 30 for one, and 20 for the other. It was enough to cause all the other notifications to scroll off the Notifications page for all users who were following comments on that candidate's page - not something you want to have happen, ever.

The user said it wasn't anything he did deliberately; it just happened. Sometimes a comment gets repeated if your finger "stutters" while you're pressing post, but usually just one time. I had seen some multiple posts - up to 8 copies of a comment - in other places in the Election section the same day, from different users, who apologized for the multiple postings, so I don't know if it was some sort of glitch, or what.

susanr Colorado
05/07/16 8:30 am

I imagine SOH thought a temporary (at least) ban was in order just to get the mega-posting stopped, for other users' sakes. I don't know if he ever took me up on the suggestion to email SOH about the issue - that's really the best way for users to communicate with them, but one of his posts said that he wasn't comfortable doing that.

Perhaps he came back with a different account & user name; I don't know.