sydwel
04/20/16 10:17 am

No. Ranges from a diet to a philosophy depending on the individual vegan. I suppose one might support veganism out of a sense of spiritual connection to all living beings, but there's no faith in the supernatural.

MaxDollaroff cynic turned skeptic
04/19/16 5:01 pm

No. It is a way of life. The reasons for doing veganism might be undergirded by religion though (as many lifestyles are).

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/19/16 4:53 pm

Depending on the person...anything can be a religion.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 4:40 pm

No, of course not. It's a diet for sure, and usually a philosophy of life. But it's not a religion because it doesn't involve worship of a creator god. If one insists that it's a religion because some people are fanatic abut it, you'd have to include things like golf, football, gardening and sex as religions. That works as a *very* broad generalized definition of the word, but it doesn't work in equating veganism with, say, Christianity or Hinduism; that's just silly.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/19/16 4:32 pm

What do you worship, vegetables and nuts?

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 4:13 pm

No religion is based on faith. Veganism is a lifestyle based on facts and ethical enlightenment but you know that.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 4:20 pm

I knew that and get it. I used to think that humans needed to eat animals to survive. Hopefully, they'll learn someday sooner than later. When I was a baby I had colic. My parents didn't know it's caused by dairy.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 4:34 pm

Point being: keep up the good work and don't let the bastards get you down. 👏🏻

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 4:42 pm

It could be accurate to say that if someone speaks out forcibly, even rants, about veganism, then they are acting *like* a religious fanatic. It's not correct to say they *are* a religious fanatic. Because it's not a religion.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 4:47 pm

Some get that it's a sick ugly situation for livestock and feel a need to speak out about it. The meat and dairy industry is an abomination. If it hurts the feelings of animal consumers I don't feel sorry for them.

susanr Colorado
04/19/16 4:50 pm

Note that I didn't name anyone or refer to you. Nor do I wish to discuss the philosophy of veganism here.

I'm simply replying to the question about whether veganism is a religion.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 4:54 pm

I understand Susan. I'm just responding and letting you in on my take.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
04/19/16 4:03 pm

No. It takes far more conviction and determination to be a vegan.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/19/16 3:15 pm

not yet, but if you really wanted to you could