voc April 19th, 2016 8:53pm

I hear the argument often that it's not discrimination if a church doesn't want to marry a gay couple. Is it still not discrimination is if the church doesn't want to marry a black man and a white woman?

Greenie Social Democrat
04/25/16 5:29 pm

It is discrimination, but as far as churches are concerned it isn't the government's place to tell them their business.

Torfin Never Behind
04/21/16 4:22 am

Two VERY different and completely DIFFERENT things.

voc I am...what I am
04/21/16 4:26 am

Not really. Back in the day they used the church to tell everyone that slavery was ok. Then they used it to tell everyone that segregation was ok. Kinda what they're doing here.

Torfin Never Behind
04/21/16 4:31 am

Not even close. One is determined by genetics the other is a life style choice.

GlockMan1 Alabama
04/20/16 6:47 am

God makes it abundantly clear that homosexuality is a sin and is unacceptable. The Bible says nothing about interracial marriage.

voc I am...what I am
04/25/16 7:50 pm

According to the kkk, it does. It's all about interpretation.

GlockMan1 Alabama
04/25/16 7:53 pm

The KKK and you have one big thing in common. Their members are lost and perishing as are you. Their interpretation will be as skewed as yours since neither of you have the Holy Spirit to bring spiritual discernment into your life.

voc I am...what I am
04/25/16 7:56 pm

Lol! I love ya glock! Welcome back from the brink of liberalism! I still miss the caps though.

MrChris80 California
04/19/16 7:58 pm

Discrimination isnt always wrong. Im fine with blackpeoplemeet.com only allowing blacks to create profiles. Im fine with Costco only allowing people through their doors who fork over 55 dollars. Im fine with churches only marrying members of their congregation within their walls if they so choose. Im fine with my local library only issuing cards to individuals who live within that county and are over the age of 13. Im fine with the army not allowing soldiers who are medically classified as obese. Im fine with fire departments not allowing little people to become firefighters... Are you really against ALL forms of discrimination? Or can you think of some others that are okay?

nib
04/19/16 7:05 pm

Do you know what discrimination means?

nib
04/19/16 8:29 pm

Who has argued that the scenario you described is not discrimination? I can't imagine anyone doesn't know that it is.

musiman28 Cotton country
04/19/16 5:17 pm

Same as in the other poll, they're both discrimination, but the church should be able to discriminate. Don't like it? Don't go to that church.

jvc1133 61535
04/19/16 5:10 pm

I have not time or inclination for hypotheticals ; )

jlong105 Indiana
04/19/16 4:33 pm

It is discrimination as I described in your other poll.

Discrimination against choices is different than against races.

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 4:58 pm

Being black isn't a choice. Neither is being gay.

snozwaffer Dove Canyon, CA
04/19/16 5:01 pm

Being gay is as much a choice as what color shirt I wear everyday.

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 5:02 pm

Why do you wear the same shirt everyday? Do you wash it sometime?

EarlyBird Portland
04/19/16 11:01 pm

Omg... I can't believe there are still people out there that think being gay is a choice.

jlong105 Indiana
04/20/16 3:20 am

I was speaking about the marriage being a choice.

EarlyBird Portland
04/20/16 3:49 am

I know. I was talking about snoz.

jlong105 Indiana
04/20/16 8:07 am

Alright that makes sense😜

Redacted
04/19/16 4:30 pm

You can't ask negative questions when I'm tired! Lol. Yes, it's not discrimination. No, it's not discrimination. Both sound the same to my tired mind....

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 4:59 pm

Lol! Sorry. I agree. I don't like the way I worded these.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/19/16 3:36 pm

It's not only if interracial marriage is in opposition to their doctrine.

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 5:00 pm

Is there a religion that interracial marriage is against their doctrine?

bethanyq Ess Eff
04/19/16 3:35 pm

It is discrimination in either case; the question is whether the state can and/or should pass a law preventing that discrimination.

ronderman North Carolina
04/19/16 3:32 pm

In my experience, most churches will not allow marriages in their worship centers unless one of the spouses are members of the church. This is where the difference is. If a church will not allow a practicing homosexual to join, then by default, they will not allow them to have a wedding.

The better question is what if it is a second marriage where the groom cheated on his first wife with the second bride. This is a situation of open sin in the eyes of the church as well. Very different from the black/white marriage.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/19/16 3:38 pm

Ron, I know many churches that will not perform 2nd marriages if the person marrying is the adulterer.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/19/16 3:48 pm

Mormons will not let the adulterer marry in the church with the person they committed adultery with, but after repentance will allow a remarriage, just not with that person.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/19/16 3:54 pm

To my knowledge, congregations of the Church of Christ will not marry the adulterer to anyone, unless that person wants to remarry the original spouse who has never remarried. (I have never seen that happen.)

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 5:02 pm

This is why I like SOH! I knew none of this!

ronderman North Carolina
04/19/16 6:21 pm

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 Says that a man can't divorce his wife and then remark her if she has been with another man during the separation. One of those obscure "laws". Notice, it does t say anything about the woman.

sep
04/19/16 3:22 pm

I think both situations are discrimination, but neither should be illegal. A church should be legally allowed to have and promote whatever beliefs it wants, however wrong I may find those beliefs.

dfish at home
04/19/16 3:11 pm

Completely different

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/19/16 3:08 pm

It's discrimination in both cases, but appropriate in the former and intolerable in the latter.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
04/19/16 3:42 pm

I agree, but if there is some outrageous church that teaches that interracial marriage is sinful, then I don't think they should be forced to perform the ceremony. Because if we force them, then someone will try to force all churches to perform the former.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
04/19/16 3:46 pm

I agree from a legal perspective, but I would personally find it intolerable.

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
04/19/16 2:59 pm

I think people agree that they're discriminating but they feel that the businesses have religious rights.

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
04/19/16 2:56 pm

Everything is discrimination. So what? It's their right to deny service.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/19/16 2:43 pm

The "real" Christian church follows the Bible's teaching that homosexual behavior is a sin. It follows that they would not support or desire to participate in gay weddings. First Amendment applies as well...

fredd TrumpLand
04/19/16 2:40 pm

It's discrimination both times, but churches are allowed to be choosy.

Bryce98 Ohio
04/19/16 2:25 pm

Homosexuality is one thing, but black and white is just a variation in skin pigmentation.

drself Gated Community
04/19/16 2:25 pm

There is a big difference.
Being queer is not a racist issue.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
04/19/16 1:58 pm

I'm not familiar with many religious doctrines, but at least with the Catholic Church there has always been a stance against gay marriage... At not point in the Church's history has there been an official stance on interracial marriage... They've had stances on interfaith and second marriages... I'm not familiar with any long term stance on interracial...

voc I am...what I am
04/19/16 2:04 pm

I'm actually not real happy with the wording of my question, but I'm tired and don't want to close it and reword it. The bible has been used throughout history to discriminate against groups of people. It was used for a long time to justify segregation and bigotry towards blacks.